Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Intention of spending large amounts on vacation & being advised to 'phone Washington'

Intention of spending large amounts on vacation & being advised to 'phone Washington'

Old Aug 27th 2017, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

ilikeitlikethat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Intention of spending large amounts on vacation & being advised to 'phone Washington'

I phoned up the US embassy in London (before I applied for my ESTA), asked what ESTA entailed and what I'd need to fill out and if CBP needed to know I planned to spend between $6, 000.00 - $9, 000.00 on 2 guitars, and they advised me to "phone Washington" about that.

So.. I guess, I'd do this.

I'm not the first person in history to want to make big purchases in America and export them home with me. I've seen people on TV buy and export to the UK American cars... So...
I'm planning to phone Washington.
Is this CBP I'm phoning?

I'd phone them, and say something like 'The embassy advised me to phone you direct, here's my proposal, what would I need?' or, 'is this legal' 'what are my entitlements and limitations of spend?' 'Would I need to provide CPD with my financial documents to prove the legitimacy of my funds' (Which I can do) 'Can I still spend this much and call it leisure and tourism on a B2 visa?'.

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat; Aug 27th 2017 at 10:31 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2017, 10:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Intention of spending large amounts on vacation & being advised to 'phone Washing

You can spend what you like in the States - the more the merrier I'm sure all stores/restaurants/resorts would say.

Just be aware that you will have to declare your new guitars and probably pay tax on them when entering the UK.

Who are you phoning in Washington?
Old Aug 27th 2017, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Intention of spending large amounts on vacation & being advised to 'phone Washing

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
You can spend what you like in the States - the more the merrier I'm sure all stores/restaurants/resorts would say.

Just be aware that you will have to declare your new guitars and probably pay tax on them when entering the UK.

Who are you phoning in Washington?
Exactly... The woman in London just said
'You'd have to ask Washington about that'.
At the time I thought nothing of it and assumed she meant the branch of US embassy in Washington (but now/days later) - I wonder if she meant CBP/going to try my luck and phone CBP and see if they can answer my questions about what I'd need to declare to them to be able to do that since she just told me to phone Washington/I'm assuming it's CBP.

I like that I can spend as much as I like in the US but the woman at the embassy advised to check about that. but I like what you say that I can since 'trips of lifetime budgets' (in my case), are purposely being saved to be able to afford to go all out and treat myself and still come home with enough money to live off of in England so I don't have to return to work right away (So I'm by no means blowing all my money because 'that would be stupid'/I feel)
It's like... Plan now, save now, budget and prepare = awesome vacation + affording 2 nice guitars.

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat; Aug 27th 2017 at 10:49 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2017, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Which part of the ESTA form had you concerned enough to call the embassy? Presumably you are planning on using some variety of plastic to pay for this lot, even then you only have to declare carrying more than $10k cash into the US.
Unless some information is missing from your post I can't understand why you wouldn't be eligible for ESTA.

I'd just be prepared to declare the item(s) when entering the UK with it, mr Customs will be likely looking for a wedge if he knows.
Old Aug 27th 2017, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by zzrmark
Which part of the ESTA form had you concerned enough to call the embassy? Presumably you are planning on using some variety of plastic to pay for this lot, even then you only have to declare carrying more than $10k cash into the US.
Unless some information is missing from your post I can't understand why you wouldn't be eligible for ESTA.

I'd just be prepared to declare the item(s) when entering the UK with it, mr Customs will be likely looking for a wedge if he knows.
I saw videos on ESTA on YouTube which just said 'You'd need an ESTA and a CBP form'... and this was the day I learned of ESTA so... I phoned to see what going to the US was like now. Then in that I asked if it was okay to spend that much and she said I'd have to check with CBP first and phone Washington - I thanked her, wished her a good day, that was it about that. At the end of the day, Fed EX told me from $1, 000.00 to ship 1 guitar and the airline said I can travel with 2 guitars (plus my extra bag so 3 x extra bags @ 4 total) for $670.00
Hopefully I'm paying hundreds of £ and not thousands in VAT though.

(If I get granted my visa and I do get to go) I'm going to keep all my receipts on everything I buy in America which I bring back with me so they can do quick calculations of how much VAT I pay to enter Britain with it all since it's going to be over the duty free allowance anyway'

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat; Aug 27th 2017 at 11:07 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2017, 10:57 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ilikeitlikethat
... and assumed she meant the branch of US embassy in Washington...
There's no such place! Embassies operate exclusively outside their home countries.

I wonder if she meant CBP...
It's unlikely. There is no immigration exit control in the US, so no one will care how much you spend or what goods leave the country.

I phoned up the US embassy in London...
It's unlikely that you spoke with anyone in London. It's more likely that you spoke to one of the 3rd-party contractors at the call center in Scotland.

... they advised me to "phone Washington" about that.
They gave you an answer because you wanted one. They are allowed to do that. Their response is meaningless - because there's no one to call.

Ian
Old Aug 27th 2017, 10:59 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

You'd need an ESTA and a CBP form...
Yes... to enter the US. Not to exit the US.

Ian
Old Aug 27th 2017, 11:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
.... Unless some information is missing from your post .....
There is. If you have half an hour to burn, make yourself a nice cup of tea, and take a read of this thread.
Old Aug 27th 2017, 11:09 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
There is. If you have half an hour to burn, make yourself a nice cup of tea, and take a read of this thread.

I'd order them from Amazon if I were the OP.
cat, hell's chance.
Old Aug 27th 2017, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
There's no such place! Embassies operate exclusively outside their home countries.
That occurred to me later when I thought about it.

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
It's unlikely. There is no immigration exit control in the US, so no one will care how much you spend or what goods leave the country.

It's unlikely that you spoke with anyone in London. It's more likely that you spoke to one of the 3rd-party contractors at the call center in Scotland.

They gave you an answer because you wanted one.

Ian
Sweet.
Old Aug 27th 2017, 11:11 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... I like that I can spend as much as I like in the US but the woman at the embassy advised to check about that. ....
As SanDiegoGirl already told you, you can spend as much as you like. Full stop. There is nothing to "ask about", or "check about", nothing. And as ZzrMark told you, unless you are bringing over $10,000 worth of cash, there is nothing to declare on entering the US. Credit cards issued overseas can be used in the US without limit or restriction by the CBP or any other branch of the US Federal Government.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 27th 2017 at 11:15 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2017, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

Old Aug 27th 2017, 11:15 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

and still come home with enough money to live off of in England so I don't have to return to work right away
So you don't have a job in the U.K.?
Old Aug 27th 2017, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
As SanDiegoGirl already told you, you can spend as much as you like. Full stop. There is nothing to "ask about", or "check about". Nothing, and as ZzrMark told you, unless you are bringing over $10,000 worth of cash, there is nothing to declare on entering the US. Credit cards issued overseas can be used without limit or restriction by the CBP or any other branch of the US Federal Government.
No... I'm only planning to bring cash for the taxi (fare + 10% to 15% tip) to the hotel I want in Oregon and some extra for snacks and water to keep me going while I connect planes at the airport. I like that I can use my card out there and it's easy enough to inform my bank of my travel plans - I might have some cash hidden away in a sock for emergencies that I'd declare though for if I lose my card and have to wait for its replacement with my insurance or bank or whoever I talk to about lost cards, for example).

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat; Aug 27th 2017 at 11:25 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2017, 11:20 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.