Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Insurance For Newbies

Insurance For Newbies

Old Mar 31st 2008, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

Sir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to behold
Default Insurance For Newbies

Hi,

Shortly relocating to Northern CA through work and am looking for suggestions on Insurance providers.. ideally a multi deal with renters and auto combined.

I realize that as a new 'non-person' that first time around it maybe expensive on the wallet (No SSN straight away or Credit history) but any suggestions are gratefully received.

My realtor was happy to take my UK Experian credit report details as it was over 850 anybody had any experience getting US insurers to consider a UK generated credit report?

Sir Denis
Old Mar 31st 2008, 4:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Insurance For Newbies

search the forums and the wiki....loads of info already around...but your UK history will mean jack over here, though having an AmEx and transferring it to a US one will jump start your US credit history.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 8:04 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

our mortgage broker did an international credit check (basically phoning selected creditors in the uk whilst we introduce them and then listen in). It did help but we are still having to jump through a million hoops to get our morgage arranged (such as show them a cash reserve worth 6 months mortgage payments (seperate from the deposit) thats just been sitting in a bank account for over 2 months), proof we have sold our uk house (which we havnt) etc etc.)

we got a bundle of insurance through AIG. Had to pay a joining fee of $400 but the car insurance was over $400 cheaper than anything else so we were quite happy.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 8:38 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Without a licence ....try www.progressive.com
Old Apr 1st 2008, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

Sir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to behold

Thanks everybody... really helpfull.

Not sure if it helps anybody else but several of the companies I have contacted have been happy to look at Experian credit reports generated from the UK. The online site in the UK Experian site will help you generate a report www.CreditExpert.co.uk for you, beware of the 'free' trial period gimmick though.

US banks and companies don't apparently count the reports in the same way as those generated for people in the USA but they help in their decision making process, showing that you have had established credit. Obviously it only works if you have good credit in the UK though.

I have also found that as well as Amex having accounts/cards with other US parent company banks and financial institutions has helped. e.g Morgan Stanley, Capital One etc. Morgan Stanley have been very helpful and have no issue with using my UK history with them in opening a US account.

I have an L1 visa, not sure if that makes any difference.

Trying to sort out getting a car in advance of my arrival is turning out to be a little more challenging

Sir Denis
Old Apr 1st 2008, 7:33 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

if your looking at leasing - try international autosource - they sorted out my husbands car befrore we arrived on our L1a.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

nadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to all

I have also found that as well as Amex having accounts/cards with other US parent company banks and financial institutions has helped. e.g Morgan Stanley, Capital One etc. Morgan Stanley have been very helpful and have no issue with using my UK history with them in opening a US account.

hi - has anyone else benifited from transfer of capital one or morgan stanley credit cards to usa?
Old Apr 1st 2008, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

denzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nice

Originally Posted by nadnad View Post

hi - has anyone else benifited from transfer of capital one or morgan stanley credit cards to usa?
We have none of these cards but we did have HSBC accounts in the UK so opened some accounts here with HSBC and got told that our UK credit rating would get transferred (it also says this in their blurb on opening accounts overseas). Not sure if it made a difference or not but we didn't have much trouble getting car finance or a mortgage and have a decent credit limit on HSBC credit cards and also their overdraft/select line of credit/overdraft we had more hassle with Verizon phones and Direct TV
Old Apr 1st 2008, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

denzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nice

As for insurance we started off with progressive as Ray suggested as I didn't have a Jersey license, they do 6 month policies. But I'd look into changing it then as we had another quote that was only slightly more expensive than progressive but was for 12 months instead of 6!