Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Insurance for firearms

Insurance for firearms

Old Mar 24th 2010, 6:28 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Insurance for firearms

One for the firearms collectors among us - we may be under insured.

I was at the insurance agency, yesterday, and I finally got round to asking whether there were any restrictions on our homeowners policy about firearms. Turns out we're only covered for a couple of grand and the excess would wipe most of that out.

I asked about an umbrella policy and was given an example of $6000 cover for $120 a year. But they would need an itemized list, with serial numbers, receipts and an official appraisal. So I said, "Yeah, I'd heard that State Farm was anti gun-owners..."

Now, the NRA endorses a policy which works out at $97 for $6000 (or $132 for $8000, $166 for $10,000 etc.). But it specifically excludes ammo and I like to keep a decent stock.

So I kept looking and found a firm called Collectibles Insurance, who insure collections, including gun collections. Their prices work out at $49 for $6000 (or $60 for $8000, $71 for $10,000 etc.) It's replacement cover and they cover ammo.

Neither of the last two need an appraisal or serial numbers, though they both encourage you to keep an inventory.

I'm going to go with the last one, mainly for the ammo coverage, though the price is a bonus.

What cover do you have?
Old Mar 24th 2010, 6:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Insurance for firearms

This is regarding insurance in general but would apply to guns. Having an appraisal is very, very useful because if something does happen then you can use it to get the right amount of money back. If you don't you can run the risk of the insurance company deciding how much the item was worth, which you can bet will be lower than you want. In that respect, State Farm may be doing you a favor with their requirements since you would be able to put up a pretty good case if they jipped you on a payout.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
This is regarding insurance in general but would apply to guns. Having an appraisal is very, very useful because if something does happen then you can use it to get the right amount of money back. If you don't you can run the risk of the insurance company deciding how much the item was worth, which you can bet will be lower than you want. In that respect, State Farm may be doing you a favor with their requirements since you would be able to put up a pretty good case if they jipped you on a payout.
Fair argument, but then you get into whether the cover is Agreed Value, Replacement Cost or Actual Cash Value.

I'm getting Replacement Cost cover and if they can find, e.g. the exact same 1911 A1 for less that I paid for it, I don't care so long as I get the gun.

What you're referring to sounds like an Actual Cash Value policy and there you're exactly right. In fact, it's even worse than you suggest, because (according to my mate who's an independent adjuster) insurance companies tend to way over-depreciate firearms.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 6:56 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I was always told they have to be scheduled, but I'm with State Farm.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 6:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I just don't trust insurance companies. Their valuations don't usually agree with mine and neither does their definition of an "acceptable replacement."
Old Mar 24th 2010, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna
I was always told they have to be scheduled, but I'm with State Farm.
State Farm have form for this. Some years back they turned over a guy in SC, for having the temerity to shoot on his own land...

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Yeah, I just don't trust insurance companies. Their valuations don't usually agree with mine and neither does their definition of an "acceptable replacement."
Me either. That's why I document everything and have my buddy, the independent adjuster, in reserve.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

We have Nationwide, and the last time I spoke to our agent he said IIRC that firearms are like other property. I'll have to revisit this, though.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 9:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse

I was at the insurance agency, yesterday, and I finally got round to asking whether there were any restrictions on our homeowners policy about firearms. Turns out we're only covered for a couple of grand and the excess would wipe most of that out.
I think that's a general item limit. It's the same for jewelry isn't it?
Old Mar 24th 2010, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Macca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond repute

I asked about an umbrella policy and was given an example of $6000 cover for $120 a year. But they would need an itemized list, with serial numbers, receipts and an official appraisal. So I said, "Yeah, I'd heard that State Farm was anti gun-owners..."

Now, the NRA endorses a policy which works out at $97 for $6000 (or $132 for $8000, $166 for $10,000 etc.). But it specifically excludes ammo and I like to keep a decent stock.

So I kept looking and found a firm called Collectibles Insurance, who insure collections, including gun collections. Their prices work out at $49 for $6000 (or $60 for $8000, $71 for $10,000 etc.) It's replacement cover and they cover ammo.

Neither of the last two need an appraisal or serial numbers, though they both encourage you to keep an inventory.

I'm going to go with the last one, mainly for the ammo coverage, though the price is a bonus.

What cover do you have?
I thought your firearms were the insurance?
Old Mar 24th 2010, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by Bill_S
We have Nationwide, and the last time I spoke to our agent he said IIRC that firearms are like other property. I'll have to revisit this, though.
You should. What prompted me to look at this was a comment from an adjuster, to the effect of "Yeah, well, insurance agents are salesmen not underwriters and will say any old thing"...

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I think that's a general item limit. It's the same for jewelry isn't it?
Having looked into it, I believe so. Or any collection of valuable items. I wonder if I could get shafted on account of having several thousand books?

Originally Posted by Macca67
I thought your firearms were the insurance?
Well, they're not much good at putting out house fires...
Old Mar 24th 2010, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Macca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, they're not much good at putting out house fires...
Depends who started the fire.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 11:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Having looked into it, I believe so. Or any collection of valuable items. I wonder if I could get shafted on account of having several thousand books?
We had to list my wife's engagement ring because of the limit. State Farm would only pay $3000 or something (not that the ring is worth that much more!).
Old Mar 24th 2010, 11:24 pm

We had to list my wife's engagement ring because of the limit. State Farm would only pay $3000 or something (not that the ring is worth that much more!).
Yes, items over a certain value have to be scheduled, that's the norm. I was idly wondering whether they might class multiple items (e.g books, tools, furniture) as a "collection" in order to get out of paying.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 3:20 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Aye, bit cheeky, our renters insurance is for x amount of dollars, but per single item max of $2K so we got extra added for our marriage rings because I'm not getting gipped on the amount of platinum we've got.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

We have coverage on the homeowners, but as you say there is a cap (I think its $2,500). Not everyone has a big giant collection like you, mate!

Interesting to hear about that second policy though, it sounds very reasonable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.