Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Insurance Adjuster: Am I gonna get scammed?

Insurance Adjuster: Am I gonna get scammed?

Old Dec 4th 2008, 1:49 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Insurance Adjuster: Am I gonna get scammed?

I was hit while driving my car a week or so ago and am working through the various claims processes (and holding my aching head/back/neck still). Someone drove right into the back of my Tank.

Anyway, my personal injury claim is through my own insurer, although the other company has admitted liability and they will eventually pay my insurer back.

The person 'handling' my claim for Progressive (the other person's company) wants to meet me in person. Soon. She said she would come to me or meet me at a Starbucks or whatever I was comfortable with.

I've never heard of this before (but admit I don't stay current) but no one around me has heard of it either. The guy at the repair shop said he's never heard of it before and that I should check it out. I know some of you here are v. knowledgeable and more suspicious than me, so what do you think? Is it a bad idea to meet this woman in person? Why do you think she thinks it would be 'better' to meet in person instead of mail me the medical records release form that she says this is all about?

Frankly, I haven't been able to think too straight since it all went down and I don't want to make a mistake. A little help?
Old Dec 4th 2008, 1:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Insurance Adjuster: Am I gonna get scammed?

Originally Posted by meauxna
I was hit while driving my car a week or so ago and am working through the various claims processes (and holding my aching head/back/neck still). Someone drove right into the back of my Tank.

Anyway, my personal injury claim is through my own insurer, although the other company has admitted liability and they will eventually pay my insurer back.

The person 'handling' my claim for Progressive (the other person's company) wants to meet me in person. Soon. She said she would come to me or meet me at a Starbucks or whatever I was comfortable with.

I've never heard of this before (but admit I don't stay current) but no one around me has heard of it either. The guy at the repair shop said he's never heard of it before and that I should check it out. I know some of you here are v. knowledgeable and more suspicious than me, so what do you think? Is it a bad idea to meet this woman in person? Why do you think she thinks it would be 'better' to meet in person instead of mail me the medical records release form that she says this is all about?

Frankly, I haven't been able to think too straight since it all went down and I don't want to make a mistake. A little help?
Don't do it. Never talk to the other person's insurance company directly. Do everything through your insurer or a lawyer.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 1:59 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I've talked to them twice on the telephone, recorded conversations (I kept that in mind with my replies). Am I going to regret that? I thought I had to.
damn.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 2:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

I've talked to them twice on the telephone, recorded conversations (I kept that in mind with my replies). Am I going to regret that? I thought I had to.
damn.
I guess it depends what you said. Ignore any phone calls from them, they're trying to get you to say something so they don't have to pay.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 2:04 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

damn.
Hey Girl friend

Room mate had an accident earlier this year, and the insurer's and the lawyers have told her she is to have NO contact with the other people involved in the acident not even the other injured parties.

Keep out of and let the folk that know do the work.

If they call again tell them to contact your insurer's or lawyer, and that you have no comment.

If they continue inform them you will sue them for harrasment.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 2:13 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

An adjuster's job is to try to reduce or eliminate your claim as much as possible.

They aren't talking with you in order to be nice. They are talking to you in order to determine their likelihood of losing a pain and suffering claim. In the alternative, they are going to try to get you to sign a waiver and settlement to go with your Mocha Frappucino.

If you show up in good shape, they will claim that you aren't hurting -- after all, you had no problem getting to Starbucks and enjoying your java. If you show up in bad shape, then they will get nervous and possibly hire a PI to trail you, to see whether you are faking it. Either way, you lose.

There is no point for you to do this. If they have already admitted liability, document it. If they will admit it in writing, get them to do it.

Since they have already admitted liability, there is no need to meet with you; the fault has been established, now the only issue is the exact cost. If you are not claiming pain and suffering, then the costs will be established rather clearly (medical, pharmacy, physical therapy, rental car, body shop repair or total, etc.), and they are wasting your time.

If you have already given this to your insurer, then let them handle it. Chances are that you have already given your insurer a "right of subrogation", which basically means that they are handling your claim for you. That is not a good way to handle it if you want to collect additional damages, but if you just want to be reimbursed for your actual out-of-pocket costs, that can be an acceptable option.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 2:22 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Do not meet with the woman until you have spoken with your insurance company and they approve it. To do so, you are limiting your claim rights in the future. If something further is found wrong with you and it is caused by the accident the person meeting you will testify that you were well and hearty when you met and then case is out the window.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 2:23 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

damn.

The very first thing GEICO ever said to me during an accident claim report is "Do not talk to the other person or the other insurance company. Refer them to us. That is what we are here for." You are not obligated to talk with them if your insurance company is shelling out monies.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 3:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Don't do it. Never talk to the other person's insurance company directly. Do everything through your insurer or a lawyer.
+1
Old Dec 4th 2008, 3:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I guess it depends what you said. Ignore any phone calls from them, they're trying to get you to say something so they don't have to pay.
+2
Old Dec 4th 2008, 5:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure that your insurance company will cover the personal injury part of the claim? If they do, they will probably only cover medical expenses and not lost work and/or pain and suffering.

Your insurance companies lawyers will usually represent you only if there is possible liability on their part. I suspect they will represent you for the medical expenses but you may have to get your own lawyer for lost work or pain and suffering.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 5:40 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Mo, don't worry, I've taken care of everything. They have an old fashioned cistern in the bathroom. Behind it, you'll find an untraceable .38. I've put special tape on the trigger and grip, so you don't have to worry about prints.

When you meet with the adjustor, tell him that you have to go to the bathroom. No, wait. Ask him if you can go to the bathroom. Retrieve the weapon, come back to the table, and put two in the head. Don't mess about.

Bring the gun to your side, and let it slip to the floor. Everyone will be looking at your face so they wont notice. Walk out and I'll have a car waiting.

You'll have to go away for a while, until things blow over. Just don't get married and let your young Sicilian paramour drive.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 11:33 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Mo, don't worry, I've taken care of everything. They have an old fashioned cistern in the bathroom. Behind it, you'll find an untraceable .38. I've put special tape on the trigger and grip, so you don't have to worry about prints.

When you meet with the adjustor, tell him that you have to go to the bathroom. No, wait. Ask him if you can go to the bathroom. Retrieve the weapon, come back to the table, and put two in the head. Don't mess about.

Bring the gun to your side, and let it slip to the floor. Everyone will be looking at your face so they wont notice. Walk out and I'll have a car waiting.

You'll have to go away for a while, until things blow over. Just don't get married and let your young Sicilian paramour drive.
A scene from my favourite movie.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 11:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I would be comfortable meeting at my insurance companies office or maybe at your doctors office with a rep from your insurance office, preferably a lawyer.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Insurance Adjuster: Am I gonna get scammed?

When my daughter was hit, on her way home from work, the first thing I did the next day was to go and get a copy of the police report (always a must). Then I went to my insurance company, who in turn called the other party's insurance. Other side's insurance ended up calling me to their office to try and settle, with my insurance agreement. They agreed to pay cost of auto (it was totaled), medical bills, lost work time, plus pain and suffering. They said they were going to drop this individual. It was his third accident in 12 months.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.