Insurance

Old Sep 15th 2012, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

Charma1ne will become famous soon enoughCharma1ne will become famous soon enough
Default Insurance

http://producer.imglobal.com/produce...ocumentid=2036

GlobalFusionSM Silver sub-plan

£ 138.00 - Excess
£ 66.30 - Monthly
£ 663.00 - Year

GlobalFusionSM Gold sub-plan

£ 138.00 - Excess
£ 88.70 - Monthly
£ 887.00 - Yearly

GlobalFusionSM Gold Plus sub-plan

£ 138.00 - Excess
£ 126.80 - Monthly
£ 1,268.00 - Yearly

GlobalFusionSM Platinum sub-plan

£ 138.00 - Excess
£ 535.30 - Monthly
£ 5,353.00 - Yearly

Hi guys!

I was wondering if you could give me a little advice. Above is a link to everything included in each type of insurance and then the costs quoted for my OH and myself per year.

Just wondering if they are any good or if I should run a mile! The company is putting a little pressure on me so I figured my lack of knowledge is making me miss vitals...

FYI the platinum is a NO!!!! HUGE cost so we will be looking to get dental once we are back in NY

Cx
Old Sep 15th 2012, 10:39 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Insurance

There is not enough info here, or even a question, to elicit a valid answer, without the reader doing some research for you.
Old Sep 15th 2012, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

Charma1ne will become famous soon enoughCharma1ne will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by RICH
There is not enough info here, or even a question, to elicit a valid answer, without the reader doing some research for you.
I just really want to know if

A) Thats a good price

and

B) If from the link it kind of looks like everything major is covered. Nothing too detailed. Dont want anyone to do research I have already done myself but having never lived in America requiring my own insurance etc I'm not 100% sure

Cx
Old Sep 15th 2012, 10:49 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charma1ne
The company is putting a little pressure on me
Then ignore them until you are ready to deal with it.
Old Sep 15th 2012, 10:53 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

What is this for, you have to be outside the USA for 180 days in any insurance period, and at the time of initial purchase and renewal.
Old Sep 15th 2012, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lansbury
What is this for, you have to be outside the USA for 180 days in any insurance period, and at the time of initial purchase and renewal.
This is for living in the USA. Its an expat insurance. Sorry I am very tired at this point in my day one of the pitfalls of working on both UK and US time! I should have said that.

I would just ignore them if it wasnt important to have insurance? Thanks for the unnecessary comment though haha

Cx
Old Sep 15th 2012, 11:27 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

This is for living in the USA. Its an expat insurance. Sorry I am very tired at this point in my day one of the pitfalls of working on both UK and US time! I should have said that.

I would just ignore them if it wasnt important to have insurance? Thanks for the unnecessary comment though haha

Cx
Then you need to read the bottom of page 7 as it restricts the amount of time you can be in the US for each insurance period (year)
Old Sep 15th 2012, 11:36 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

I'm simply telling you that being pressured is not an excuse to make a decision. I have no idea what your time frame is.
Old Sep 16th 2012, 12:04 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

FYI the platinum is a NO!!!! HUGE cost so we will be looking to get dental once we are back in NY
The Platinum would be considered bloody good value were it to cover you both for a full year while resident in the US. But you'll discover this later in your journey.

However, if you're coming to live here, the insurance is undoubtedly invalid after 6 months.
Old Sep 16th 2012, 12:43 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

The company is putting a little pressure on me so I figured my lack of knowledge is making me miss vitals...
The sales people are well trained to induce pressure. Regardless, you have the upper hand in the equation... they can't act without your approval.

I would just ignore them if it wasnt important to have insurance?
It is important to have insurance... but it's not important to have insurance through this company. You can remind them of that the next time you feel you're being pressured.

Ian
Old Sep 16th 2012, 1:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

The one thing you need to find out is a) do they have negotiated rates with healthcare providers and b) will they pay them directly. If the answer to both is no you would likely have to pay the full cost of any service and then file a claim to be reimbursed, which may take a while or be denied. And as said, the platinum plan costs about 40-50% less than a decent couples plan via an employer. The employee may not pay the full price though.
Old Sep 16th 2012, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

If I understand from your previous posts, you're moving to the US on an E2 visa, correct? Other who have read the proposal say that policy you've found is invalid as you'll be there all year. In general terms, a foreign policy (to the US) isn't going to work long term. It also has numerous limitations.

So you might not have employer-provided insurance because of the E2, correct? However, maybe in New York (which I understand might be where work is based) might have a "group of one" type of group policy - somebody here will be able to confirm or deny that. Or maybe you'll have employees in which case you may be able to get a group policy which is much less painful and more secure than an individual/family/immigrant policy.

On the latter note, an immigrant policy should only really be used as a last resort stop-gap for more permanent cover. That policy you quoted seems to be such an immigant policy. You do not want to be uninsured when your feet hit US soil, but it may not be possible to get full insurance until those feet are on US soil, hence the temporary cover, yet you don't want to be on temporary cover for long...
Old Sep 16th 2012, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

I wasnt pressured...hence it ringing alarm bells in my mind. If I had been some stupid easily influenced individual then I would have already taken the insurance rather than coming here to ask.

Originally Posted by GeoffM
If I understand from your previous posts, you're moving to the US on an E2 visa, correct? Other who have read the proposal say that policy you've found is invalid as you'll be there all year. In general terms, a foreign policy (to the US) isn't going to work long term. It also has numerous limitations.
Correct I am coming out on an E2 initially. This doccument was just to show me what was included. This is the visitor version of the expat insurance I am going for the other link just wasnt working so they sent me this one. Thats why I only asked about what was included rather than the content of the rest of it. I should have made that clearer I guess.
So you might not have employer-provided insurance because of the E2, correct? However, maybe in New York (which I understand might be where work is based) might have a "group of one" type of group policy - somebody here will be able to confirm or deny that. Or maybe you'll have employees in which case you may be able to get a group policy which is much less painful and more secure than an individual/family/immigrant policy.
I will look into "Group of One" its a semi-start up so dont need a company insurance yet.
On the latter note, an immigrant policy should only really be used as a last resort stop-gap for more permanent cover. That policy you quoted seems to be such an immigant policy. You do not want to be uninsured when your feet hit US soil, but it may not be possible to get full insurance until those feet are on US soil, hence the temporary cover, yet you don't want to be on temporary cover for long...
Yeah its pretty much just supposed to be for the first year so that I dont have to worry about it when I arrive/settle in/sort everything out and get my feet.

Thanks

Cx
Old Sep 17th 2012, 7:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You want proper insurance though, because a lot of these temporary polices won't be considered creditable coverage when it comes time to getting proper cover, which means you'd have a break over 62 days of creditable cover and thus pre-existing stuff can come into play.

Sorting out a group policy, even for a small business is probably one of your highest priorities. Look at local chamber of commerce or local business associations and see if you can join them and get under their group policy for small business owners, would be your best bet for cover, especially as it can take a couple of months potentially for you to receive the cover.