Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

INS Not to Deport Widowed H-1B Families

INS Not to Deport Widowed H-1B Families

Old Oct 11th 2001, 1:26 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Since everyone had joined in the debate on the above subject in regards to the English woman and her two USC sons in New Jersey who were told they no longer had a legal right to be in the US with the death of their H-1B father/husband in the WTC, here is the "official" word from INS.

"Foreigners who lost kin whon't be deported: INS"
http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/33751.htm

As I predicted early on, INS was bound to work something out to allow these people to continue to live in the US if they so choose. Not fair to others who have lost their main visaholder to death in a different manner, but then is anything in life ever fair? Especially if one is dealing with government agencies and INS in particular?

Rita
Old Oct 11th 2001, 1:47 pm
Paulgani

Deferring deportation is one thing, getting her legal status is another. There are no
immigrant categories for "at the whim of the INS commissioner due to extraordinary
circumstances". I'll be curious to see what they come up with, if anything.

Paulgani

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Oct 12th 2001, 1:15 pm
Forcefulljack10

Rete <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
I think the differential is in that the woman concerened has two sons who are
USC's,And obviously that all concerened were murdered by terrorists as opposed to
death by natural cause. I dont or havent heard of other H1b's applicants who died and
were in the same position.The attorney general's full comments are available at the
INS website,I'm just glad to see that his thoughts are not as narrow minded as that
as some of his citizens.

FJ10.

Old Oct 12th 2001, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

Harry is a jewel in the roughHarry is a jewel in the roughHarry is a jewel in the roughHarry is a jewel in the rough

Yeah, I'm curious too...since a H1B is a temporary visa anyway, what will their new status be? I imagine in the case of family in NJ, they will just continue to process the greencard application as if the husband hadn't died, but what about the people that really are just over here for 3-6 years?
As far as the right or wrong of it goes, I agree with Rita that it is unfair to those H1B families who have had to leave when the main visaholder died in more "normal" circumstances. It couldn't have been any easier for those folks, losing someone is losing someone regardless. I still applaud them for acting in such a humane way, though. As unfair as it is to those other families, I think a right and a wrong is always going to be better than a wrong and a wrong.

-Harry
Old Oct 12th 2001, 9:59 pm
Forcefulljack10

Harry <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Losing someone is losing someone regardless??? You having a laugh or what? There is a
huge differential of suffering involved when someone you care for dies from terrorist
activity to that from natural causes - I speak strongly from experience! After the
Sept 11th incident,A widow from the Oaklahoma bombing went to NYC to counsil people
similar to herself,She was a USC and commented "Im here to talk to the people who
have lost their loved ones,When I lost my husband I received various therapy
sessions,I just sat there and looked at them and thought what do you know,you have
never experienced a death from such action,The therapy and counselling was useless
untill I met someone who had experienced similar - That person made sense and was
someone whom I could relate to,Hence that is why I have visited NYC"

There is a distinct difference between the two - Untill you have seen both sides of
the coin and felt the effects as such you wouldnt know or understand the difference.

People on this group recently have commented on how the brits have a different
attitude to terrorism,They know shit,Brits affected either directly or indirectly by
terrorist activity have specific opinion of what goes on,Wether the British
government ever gets the balls to do sommat about it is a different issue,I cannot
understand USC's commenting in such a manner when they have no knowledge of what goes
on and what the brits think about it,I found the comments particularly distastefull
given that there are,as previously stated,people on the NG who have been directly
affected by attrocious acts,I would never offer comment on how American citizens
think,act or feel towards the terrorist activity of recent weeks,It would be nothing
short of an insult to you all.

Regardless of it all,I wonder how the comments would have been if the bot had been on
the other foot,ie,A USC within the U.K who loses her husband and then gets told she
is to be deported? All in all,I felt discretion should have been used,It was. God
bless America.

R.I.P - D.R.B (KIA)12/25/1982)

FJ10.

Old Oct 13th 2001, 4:20 am
Doug Melville

Yes, as Brits we know shit about terrorism, and we're waiting for George to cut off
funding not only to Al Queda - but also to the Provisional IRA, the UDA, the Red Hand
Defenders etc etc etc... the bulk of which funding comes from the US, as well as
various criminal rackets in Eire and Ulster.

We've been there done that, whether on foot patrol in Bogside or the Falls Road, or
in the Iraqi Desert, or now the Hindu Kush, and we've lost lots of British
servicemen doing it.

Doug

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Oct 13th 2001, 1:03 pm
Forcefulljack10

"Doug Melville" <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > People on this group recently have commented on how the brits have a different[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > attitude to terrorism,They know shit,Brits affected either directly or indirectly[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > by terrorist activity have specific opinion of what goes on,Wether the British[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > government ever gets the balls to do sommat about it is a different issue,I[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > cannot understand USC's commenting in such a manner when they have no knowledge[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > of what goes on and what the brits think about it,I found the comments[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > particularly distastefull given that there are,as previously stated,people on the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > NG who have been directly affected by attrocious acts,I would never offer comment[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > on how American citizens think,act or feel towards the terrorist activity of[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > recent weeks,It would be nothing short of an insult to you all.[/usenetquote2]

Too right! so what are these clowns doin commenting on it? They couldnt tell yers
where crossmaglen was in the world let alone comment on the goings on there! FJ10

Old Oct 13th 2001, 2:20 pm
Jonathan_atc

Geez! 10 sentences, all separated by commas. Way to be forceful, Jack. = ;o)

>
Steen's Visa Pages http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
Newsgroup FAQ http://www.k1faq.com Immigration and Naturalization Service
http://www.ins.usdoj.gov {I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. For
reliable legal advice, please consult with a professional immigration attorney.}
"forcefulljack10" <[email protected]>
[usenetquote2]> > Yeah, I'm curious too...since a H1B is a temporary visa anyway, what will their[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > new status be? I imagine in the case of family in NJ, =[/usenetquote2]
they
[usenetquote2]> > will just continue to process the greencard application as if the husband hadn't[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > died, but what about the people that really are just =[/usenetquote2]
over
[usenetquote2]> > here for 3-6 years? As far as the right or wrong of it goes, I agree with Rita[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > that it is unfair to those H1B families who have had to =[/usenetquote2]
leave
[usenetquote2]> > when the main visaholder died in more "normal" circumstances. It couldn't have[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > been any easier for those folks, losing someone is =[/usenetquote2]
losing
[usenetquote2]> > someone regardless. I still applaud them for acting in such a humane way, though.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > As unfair as it is to those other families, I think a =[/usenetquote2]
right
[usenetquote2]> > and a wrong is always going to be better than a wrong and a wrong.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >=20[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > -Harry[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >