Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Injury...who should pay?

Injury...who should pay?

Old Sep 13th 2007, 6:33 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Injury...who should pay?

Originally Posted by Ray
Yes ..a month after I came out of hospital
Not seeing who had liability before the kids arm plaster dried ..
Is sensible because there is a chance her insurance company will ask the same question. an insurance company will not pay out unless they have to. If you are prepared to answer their questions the less problems there will be
Old Sep 13th 2007, 6:37 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
A lot of large schools have their own school district cops so it may have been one of these.

We live in Rowlett but played in Garland so there were police officers from both cities there.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 6:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happynz
The police are there to provide protection for high school football coaches who believe themselves to be demi-gods.
Are they really
Old Sep 13th 2007, 6:40 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart
What's the difference? As a parent you have 2 choices if you feel the coach was negligent. Take matters into your own hands, which would be dumb or see who is responsible and what recourse you have.
Perhaps he should start in a month when memories of the incident have faded and details are forgotten and he is potentially left with the bills, which is just stupid
Just me remembering kids having accident on a playing field
and they were accident on a hard tackle ..or whatever
and the first though was never who fault is it ..and who should pay
or be called negligent ... just one of those things that happen in sport

Another nail in the coffin for kids playing sports ...
Old Sep 13th 2007, 6:43 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Yeah, hardly any kids play sports in the US nowadays
Old Sep 13th 2007, 6:50 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Ray, I haven't got a clue what you are rattling on about (totally over my head).

anyways, I'm off home in a short while to wait on hand and foot on the nipper, I'm sure he will have a ball ordering me around...

Thanks everyone for their warm wishes....I'll check back later.

Yosser.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Hope his arm recovers quickly Yosser. I think you and your wife were incredibly restrained, I don't think some of the coaches in Garland have the intelligence to think about the extent of injuries.

My youngest had a run in with his coach, who was picking on one of the kids, my son who was only 7 didn't like that kind of thing, and refused to do what the coach told him to. The coach seemed to be the kind who liked to get them to do stupid things just because he could, like some odd little power trip.

When I was speaking to his teacher later, I told her that I thought my son had refused to do as he was told as he thought what the coach had told him to do was stupid, and she said it probably was, and that my son was quite astute as she thought the coach was in fact stupid

Still, I guess they need the coppers at the matches as a good proportion of the parents are as bad, if not worse than the coaches. They really take sports seriously in Texas - it was only a couple of years ago that a coach got shot by one of the parents of a high school football team wasn't it?
Old Sep 13th 2007, 7:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Well, here is my pessimistic 2c on the subject. First off you probably signed away that you would pick up the tab for any injury sustained whilst playing but you seem to know that already. However, if the bills mount up it is possible that not getting treatment in a timely manor will come back and hit you. Insurance companies want to pay as little as possible so should there be extra because he wasn't seen promptly, they may not pay for that or any of the treatment. This is where you would need to get into it with the school as it would seem that they acted in a negligent way.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray

And this was which century and where? It would be naive to assume that kids playing sports in the US is much like the UK.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 8:04 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celsius
And this was which century and where? It would be naive to assume that kids playing sports in the US is much like the UK.
I suppose thats my problem ... thinking back too far ..

I do know one of the wifes nephews sued somebody for a sports injury
bill ....was less than a $1000 and they won ..
Now he is not allowed to play or does not get picked for anything ..
Old Sep 13th 2007, 8:12 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray

not really. in the uk for injuries like that you'd go to the outpatients and the NHS would cough up. not here and that's why the first question that springs to mind for peeps is who's going to pay ?

having said that i know peeps in the uk whos hobbies include skydiving, mountain climbing etc etc and take out their own medical insurance which makes sense.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 10:18 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
in the uk for injuries like that you'd go to the outpatients and the NHS would cough up.
Well, we'd all cough up for each other. I suppose that's why Communist Medicine doesn't work, you get all these people willfully breaking their legs because they know they'll get treated for free.

( )
Old Sep 13th 2007, 10:26 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Hmmmm. My boy plays for the school football team and I was never asked to sign anything at all for him to play.

I might just have to have a word with him about having a "little accident" to help with his college funds.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 11:25 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
Hmmmm. My boy plays for the school football team and I was never asked to sign anything at all for him to play.

I might just have to have a word with him about having a "little accident" to help with his college funds.
If I remember correctly you are in NYstate? If so, then you did. You sign a purple form every year regarding your child's health. However, it is only to state that you give permission for your child to play sports and are in good health since they last visited their doctor. NYS has coverage for all kids under sixteen so you don't need to sign your life away. Unfortunately, this does limit your ability to sue beyond medical bills

When it was thought that my son was injured during a football game (long story) the school were very helpful regarding their own liability with insurance payments. And my own insurance company called to make sure that no one else was liable for paying the bill before they would pay out.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 11:54 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

When my son played hockey....we had Insurance in with his club membership fee which all kids here have to have to play...it was $150 one off payment...kids can't go on the ice without it....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.