Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Injury...who should pay?

Injury...who should pay?

Old Sep 13th 2007, 5:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Injury...who should pay?

Originally Posted by Ben
Well, they should. There have been many problems where schools have not had insurance to cover a serious sports injury. The NHS can only cover so much. If a child, for example, breaks their neck while playing rugby, a lifetime of care is needed. while this may seem far fetched to some, it has happened and brought about a campaign to inform parents of the risks that they are unaware of when allowing their kids play sports for the school.
An ex boyfriend's brother lost his life playing rugby...a rib punctured his lung.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 5:37 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
hope Austin is doing ok today?
He's a trooper, I give him that. He's obviously really sore, but MUCH worse this was the first game of the season. In the first half, he had tackled a kid, that then fumbled the ball austin picked it up and ran 40 yards for a touchdown, so for him not being able to play this year is going to tear him up.

He's very good, even plays as a full back on the offensive side, linebacker on the defence and special teams...so basically he is on the field non-stop.

I feel really gutted for him.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 5:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yosser
He's a trooper, I give him that. He's obviously really sore, but MUCH worse this was the first game of the season. In the first half, he had tackled a kid, that then fumbled the ball austin picked it up and ran 40 yards for a touchdown, so for him not being able to play this year is going to tear him up.

He's very good, even plays as a full back on the offensive side, linebacker on the defence and special teams...so basically he is on the field non-stop.

Poor little guy...feel better soon Austin.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 5:50 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

i'm sure he'll come out of it ok, kids are pretty resilient
Old Sep 13th 2007, 5:54 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

that sounds like my eldest and he is out this season because of a knee injury. They hate missing out and really feel as though they are letting their team down.

Hope he feels better soon
Old Sep 13th 2007, 6:09 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

I played rugby growing up....I also had a mate that broke his neck in a game(fraction away from being paralysed as well)....so these things happen.

I do think that football coaches at middle and high school, think there above it all though, this is not the first time I've seen coaches act this way.

When Austin was playing flag football (6 years old). There was many a punch up between coaches....what muppets!
Old Sep 13th 2007, 6:10 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

My wife and her family were all there, the local police refused to allow us onto the field when he went down
Forgive my ignorance, but what were the police doing at the game?

I hope Austin feels heaps better very soon! Condolences for him having to miss all those games though.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 6:16 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Maz

I hope Austin feels heaps better very soon! Condolences for him having to miss all those games though.
The police are there to provide protection for high school football coaches who believe themselves to be demi-gods.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 6:18 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

My 13 year old stepson (Austin), broke his arm playing for his middle school football team last night.

My wife and her family were all there, the local police refused to allow us onto the field when he went down, then the coaches refused us to let us see him if he was o.k. At the time the coaches said it was just a bruise and made Austin sit the entire 2nd half (1 hour, 30 mins) on the opposite side from the bleachers with a broke arm. After the game, the coaches even tried to usher all the kids onto the school bus, my wife nearly went bezerk and took him in our car to the hospital as his arm looked horrible...

We got in at 1.00am this morning from the hospital, his is on pain med's.

Question, should it be my insurance or the schools paying for this?
I just completed a CA. state licensed coaching course for soccer, if I were you I'd look into the rules that the coach should follow when an accident occurs and if he followed them.
Probably available from the governing body of the league/school or applicable State etc.
Many leagues ask for a waiver to be signed by participants, did you sign one or any rules that mandate any team/school rules or protocol to be followed. In my case they are more clearly outlined for head injuries for obvious reasons.

Last edited by Lord Lionheart; Sep 13th 2007 at 6:23 pm.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 6:21 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
How very American of you ....
More than a bit hypocritical of you. I seem to recall you starting legal action after you ate some tainted peanut butter
Old Sep 13th 2007, 6:25 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart
More than a bit hypocritical of you. I seem to recall you starting legal action after you ate some tainted peanut butter
Yes ..a month after I came out of hospital
Not seeing who had liability before the kids arm plaster dried ..
Old Sep 13th 2007, 6:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz

A lot of large schools have their own school district cops so it may have been one of these.

Our small town always has an ambulance wth the volunteer EMT's on game night just in case of an injury. I'm sure this would have helped with the op's son. At least a more accurate diagnosis could have been made and he could have been taken to the ER earlier instead of suffering.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 6:30 pm
Never right in the head!

Originally Posted by Maz

Actually happynz is not far wrong. The crowds (as in parents) get so into the school team, police officers are there to eject people out of the stadium (and yes I have seen this before).

Coaches are often subject to much abuse, so police are there to control these situations. Unfortunately last night, our team were on the other side (visitor) of the field (the bleachers were only on the Home side of the field).

If I had tried to run for it, I would of probably ended up with a cap in my arse from an over zealous Garland police officer. (Garland cops are nortorious for shoot first and ask questions later).
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

I played rugby growing up....I also had a mate that broke his neck in a game(fraction away from being paralysed as well)....so these things happen.
Yes they do, unfortunately. It is just one of those things. But if a shcool doesn't have insurance to cover their players (like a club does) the parents are left with expenses that aren't thought of and the NHS doesn't pay for. In the past the schools had sports insurance but when the cutbacks happened in the 80s many had to stop paying their insurance and didn't inform parents. about 15 years ago there was a campaign put out by those parents caught out by this so that other parents weren't left with a huge financial burden.

We have been very fortunate on the whole that the rules seem very clear and cut for coaches in both the school sports programs and PAL sports that the kids have played. Any injury has always been reported and put on file, not matter what. When we have been involved in an injury we have always been advised that if we have any problems with our insurance company paying the bill to let them know.
Banned

Originally Posted by Ray
Yes ..a month after I came out of hospital
Not seeing who had liability before the kids arm plaster dried ..
What's the difference? As a parent you have 2 choices if you feel the coach was negligent. Take matters into your own hands, which would be dumb or see who is responsible and what recourse you have.
Perhaps he should start in a month when memories of the incident have faded and details are forgotten and he is potentially left with the bills, which is just stupid

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.