British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Injury...who should pay? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/injury-who-should-pay-480913/)

Yosser Sep 13th 2007 2:58 pm

Injury...who should pay?

My 13 year old stepson (Austin), broke his arm playing for his middle school football team last night.

My wife and her family were all there, the local police refused to allow us onto the field when he went down, then the coaches refused us to let us see him if he was o.k. At the time the coaches said it was just a bruise and made Austin sit the entire 2nd half (1 hour, 30 mins) on the opposite side from the bleachers with a broke arm. After the game, the coaches even tried to usher all the kids onto the school bus, my wife nearly went bezerk and took him in our car to the hospital as his arm looked horrible...

We got in at 1.00am this morning from the hospital, his is on pain med's.

Question, should it be my insurance or the schools paying for this?

Ray Sep 13th 2007 3:01 pm

Re: Injury...who should pay?

Originally Posted by Yosser (Post 5307055)

How very American of you ....

Elvira Sep 13th 2007 3:01 pm

My 13 year old stepson (Austin), broke his arm playing for his middle school football team last night.

My wife and her family were all there, the local police refused to allow us onto the field when he went down, then the coaches refused us to let us see him if he was o.k. At the time the coaches said it was just a bruise and made Austin sit the entire 2nd half (1 hour, 30 mins) on the opposite side from the bleachers with a broke arm. After the game, the coaches even tried to usher all the kids onto the school bus, my wife nearly went bezerk and took him in our car to the hospital as his arm looked horrible...

What does the paperwork you signed when he joined the football team say?

Yosser Sep 13th 2007 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 5307063)
How very American of you ....

Not really...I'm just not sure what to do.

But thanks for your smart arse remarks....douche bag!

Yosser Sep 13th 2007 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 5307067)
What does the paperwork you signed when he joined the football team say?

Good point, I didn't think about that....thanks.

another bloody yank Sep 13th 2007 3:08 pm

I think the paperwork probably says it's on you...

My wife would have a large chunk of that coach's a$$ in a jar on our bookshelf though.

Yosser Sep 13th 2007 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 5307108)
I think the paperwork probably says it's on you...

My wife would have a large chunk of that coach's a$$ in a jar on our bookshelf though.

yeah, your probably right....my wife is checking the paperwork.

yep the coach "look at me, i'm a semi-god" attitude has really pissed me off.
No doubt, we will be having a little chat soon.

Jerseygirl Sep 13th 2007 4:31 pm

My daughter broke her ankle twice at school. First time she tripped over a book bag someone had left on the floor. Second time was at a school dance and someone knocked into her and she fell. Our insurance covered the bills both times.

Bob Sep 13th 2007 5:14 pm

It's probably your liability as your probably required to sign over liability rights to join a sports team....doesn't mean you can't sue the coach for being a tool though :D

Yosser Sep 13th 2007 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 5307487)
My daughter broke her ankle twice at school. First time she tripped over a book bag someone had left on the floor. Second time was at a school dance and someone knocked into her and she fell. Our insurance covered the bills both times.

The hospital said we had really good insurance, so that was a relief (I had only just got the medical insurance from work in August).

My first post, was really trying to find out if anybody else had been in this situation before and what the result was, not because I'm demand the school to pay or anything like that.

britvic Sep 13th 2007 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by Yosser (Post 5307690)
The hospital said we had really good insurance, so that was a relief (I had only just got the medical insurance from work in August).

My first post, was really trying to find out if anybody else had been in this situation before and what the result was, not because I'm demand the school to pay or anything like that.

And yet back home those sort of worries would not enter our heads.

Jerseygirl Sep 13th 2007 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by Yosser (Post 5307690)

The second time was a Friday night...we took her to the ER. Her ankle was examined and x-rayed and she was told it was just a sprain. She hobbled about for 3 days until the Monday evening when she had an existing podiatrist appointment. He took a look at it, x-rayed it and said it was in fact broken. He called our insurance company and got authorisation to treat her.

Ben Sep 13th 2007 5:25 pm

As others have said it is probably your own insurance that will pay. However, the school has to have an incident report filled out and your insurance company may call to make sure no one else is liable for the bill.

No matter who is responsible, however, the treatment your son received at the game is shocking. Parents are not allowed to just rush the field, and I can understand this. But if you child has been hurt and you are there, there should be provisions made for some type of interraction to make sure he is being taken care of appropriately.

As a parent of boys who both play football and wrestling I expect the coaches to take good care of them and treat them as if they were their own children. There has never been an incident yet where if one of the kids on the team has been injured on the field, even if it is just a sprain but has taken the child out of the game, where a parent has not been contacted to let them know. And if the parent is watching, they are called down as soon as it is safe for them to do so. the parent normally meets the child and coach on the sidelines.

I hope your son's pain eases soon.

TruBrit Sep 13th 2007 5:28 pm

hope Austin is doing ok today? :)

Ben Sep 13th 2007 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by britvic (Post 5307702)
And yet back home those sort of worries would not enter our heads.

Well, they should. There have been many problems where schools have not had insurance to cover a serious sports injury. The NHS can only cover so much. If a child, for example, breaks their neck while playing rugby, a lifetime of care is needed. while this may seem far fetched to some, it has happened and brought about a campaign to inform parents of the risks that they are unaware of when allowing their kids play sports for the school.