British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Injured by UCLA lawnmower--any advice? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/injured-ucla-lawnmower-any-advice-313981/)

literaryclinic Jul 14th 2005 9:55 pm

Injured by UCLA lawnmower--any advice?

This happened last week..any thoughts would be gratefully received

At 2.42 pm outside the student facilities centre on the UCLA campus Mark was struck on the left calf by an aluminium projectile with a rusty nail that had been catapulted from a UCLA general services lawn mower driven by Luis Rendoiv. The projectile in its trajectory pierced and passed through his bag and struck the back of his left calf damaging it and a pair of Fendi jeans. In excruciating pain and shocked by being struck, Mark was assisted by a witness who informed him what had caused the injury and whence it came from. She identified the piece of aluminium that was lying on the adjacent path and pointed to the lawnmower. In shock and unable to walk, Mark, hopped to the aluminium projectile and then attracted the attention of the driver, who apologised (after Mark showed him his injury: a bleeding and badly bruised leg) and reluctantly gave him his details. Despite being unable to walk, the driver did not offer any assistance or first aid.
Mark hopped to the student facilities building and asked for assistance, he was provided with an ice pack and something to clean the wound. A phone call later a friend who works on campus came to collect him and drove him to the receive first aid. He was disorientated and in considerable pain. At the Police department he received first aid and was advised to attend the hospital. He later visited the hospital with his wife (who had to take a half a day off work) and received treatment for a contusion and bleeding leg.

“I have suffered from a number of nightmares and found it painful to walk for over a week after the incident. I find myself becoming paranoid in open spaces due to the unexpected nature of the incident and have lost both mobility and confidence."

I have all the details from the driver, his boss, the hospital, the aliminuim..do I have a case? Where should I go from here?

sibsie Jul 14th 2005 9:59 pm

Re: Injured by UCLA lawnmower--any advice?

No clue as to what you do but my husband had a similar incident at Home Base, only it was a shoulder, a wood spike thing and a very high shelf.

Wintersong Jul 14th 2005 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by literaryclinic

At 2.42 pm outside the student facilities centre on the UCLA campus Mark was struck on the left calf by an aluminium projectile with a rusty nail that had been catapulted from a UCLA general services lawn mower driven by Luis Rendoiv. The projectile in its trajectory pierced and passed through his bag and struck the back of his left calf damaging it and a pair of Fendi jeans. In excruciating pain and shocked by being struck, Mark was assisted by a witness who informed him what had caused the injury and whence it came from. She identified the piece of aluminium that was lying on the adjacent path and pointed to the lawnmower. In shock and unable to walk, Mark, hopped to the aluminium projectile and then attracted the attention of the driver, who apologised (after Mark showed him his injury: a bleeding and badly bruised leg) and reluctantly gave him his details. Despite being unable to walk, the driver did not offer any assistance or first aid.
Mark hopped to the student facilities building and asked for assistance, he was provided with an ice pack and something to clean the wound. A phone call later a friend who works on campus came to collect him and drove him to the receive first aid. He was disorientated and in considerable pain. At the Police department he received first aid and was advised to attend the hospital. He later visited the hospital with his wife (who had to take a half a day off work) and received treatment for a contusion and bleeding leg.

“I have suffered from a number of nightmares and found it painful to walk for over a week after the incident. I find myself becoming paranoid in open spaces due to the unexpected nature of the incident and have lost both mobility and confidence."

I have all the details from the driver, his boss, the hospital, the aliminuim..do I have a case? Where should I go from here?

Are you for real?

Not wanting to make light of your obviously extreme pain (and the loss of the Fendi jeans must have struck a particularly painful blow) but get a grip. You're obviously not so disorientated, paranoid and lacking in confidence that you can't grab the opportunity to make as much money as possible out of this.

I detest the "suing culture" in this country. FFS, even lawnmower drivers will have to take out public liability insurance soon. :mad:

Wintersong Jul 14th 2005 10:24 pm

Incidentally, under your username it says you have made 11 posts. Only 5 come up on a search. What happened to the other 6?

LeedsGirl Jul 14th 2005 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Are you for real?

Not wanting to make light of your obviously extreme pain (and the loss of the Fendi jeans must have struck a particularly painful blow) but get a grip. You're obviously not so disorientated, paranoid and lacking in confidence that you can't grab the opportunity to make as much money as possible out of this.

I detest the "suing culture" in this country. FFS, even lawnmower drivers will have to take out public liability insurance soon. :mad:

Bwwaa, I also not wanting to make light out of it couldn't help but laugh at the Fendi jeans bit as well :p

LeedsGirl Jul 14th 2005 10:32 pm

I have all the details from the driver, his boss, the hospital, the aliminuim..do I have a case? Where should I go from here?[/QUOTE]

If the injuries are serious enough that you have to pay medical expenses out of your own pocket then ask them for reimbursement, can't hurt to see what they say. If no further treatment was neccesary then look no further. I was injured in a bad car accident in 2002, my medical bills were almost $40,000 and my insurance is not 100% so I had to pay out of pocket. I sued and got all the money back and then some but saying that my injuries were serious :mad:

ImHere Jul 14th 2005 10:39 pm

The projectile in its trajectory pierced and passed through his bag and struck the back of his left calf damaging it and a pair of Fendi jeans....

Aah diddums. My heart bleeds purple piss for the poor little thing.

Get real, get a grip and grow up. I wonder how many of the people severly injured and traumatised by being nigh on blown to shit by terrorist bombs on the London Underground are just getting on with their lives.

You sniveling little money grabbing are what epitomises everything thats wrong with the culture here.

Big D Jul 14th 2005 10:39 pm

you seem to know enough about it to get ALL the details and post them here - and why did you go to the police for first aid?

if you have a genuine claim it can't be hard to find a lawyer in this country!!!

Wintersong Jul 14th 2005 10:41 pm

Your heart bleeds purple piss? I think it's you who needs to see a doctor. And then sue someone. Probably. :D

gruffbrown Jul 14th 2005 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by LeedsGirl
Bwwaa, I also not wanting to make light out of it couldn't help but laugh at the Fendi jeans bit as well :p

No Leeds..... you need to take the piss more, (psssst I don't think they're serious....:rolleyes: )

gruffbrown Jul 14th 2005 10:47 pm

They have a statement from the aliminuim? Presumably the projectile that ruined his fendi jeans, did the inanimate object deny it or put it's hands up? It could get life for this, or worse..... the smelter!

ImHere Jul 14th 2005 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Your heart bleeds purple piss? I think it's you who needs to see a doctor. And then sue someone. Probably. :D

Its hereditary....nothing to woryy about. I find a good BJ once per day helps.

LeedsGirl Jul 14th 2005 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
No Leeds..... you need to take the piss more, (psssst I don't think they're serious....:rolleyes: )

Okay then, take it to Judge Judy and see if she rips you a new one. Seriously, I think you should be compensated for the Fendi jeans though :D

ImHere Jul 14th 2005 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
They have a statement from the aliminuim? Presumably the projectile that ruined his fendi jeans, did the inanimate object deny it or put it's hands up? It could get life for this, or worse..... the smelter!

It came clean. Once they'd got the rust off and forced a confession.

Although how aluminium can be rusty.

Wintersong Jul 14th 2005 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by ImHere
It came clean. Once they'd got the rust off and forced a confession.

Although **** only knows how aluminium can be rusty.

The aluminium projectile came with a rusty nail. Didn't you read it properly?

Pffft. Some people. :rolleyes: