British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Initial Health Insurance (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/initial-health-insurance-927891/)

SJDiamond Sep 14th 2019 12:52 pm

Initial Health Insurance

Hi there,

I'm looking for some help on getting temporary medical insurance while waiting for my SSN to come through. My husband's (who is a citizen) health insurance won't insure me without my SSN, so I have a 3 week potential gap in cover.

I'm due to move to PA, in 2 weeks time. I had planned to use Cigna, however as I have standard bi annual wellness test results outstanding (they are now due back 5 weeks late, don't start me on that!), so they won't cover me.

Can anyone recommend any other medical insurance company I can use when I step off the plane as a new US resident, with this type of test outstanding? I have no major health concerns, but don't want to risk the house by getting in an accident while not covered.

Also ideally one I can contact cheaply from the UK, other than Cigna most seem to have a US contact number only

Thank you :)

Sandra

scrubbedexpat099 Sep 14th 2019 1:12 pm

Re: Initial Health Insurance

You need to kick it up the food chain, a SSN is not needed to be added to your Husbands Health Insurance.

Rete Sep 14th 2019 1:22 pm

To reiterate, a SSN is NOT needed for healthcare insurance. They can use a dummy number, i.e. 000-00-000 until you get your social security card and then you can provide the new number to them.

Have you husband work with HR or just have a go at them himself.

No clue what this bi-annual wellness test is that you are referring to and why it would make you ineligible for coverage. Assume you have a disease/illness such as diabetes for example that required blood monitoring.

SJDiamond Sep 14th 2019 2:53 pm

Hi

Interesting... He had already asked his HR dept. He's now going direct to the insurance company on Monday. Hopefully this is all due to his HR lacking knowledge of dealing with expats.

Re tests. Just the usual girlie tests we have on a regular basis over 40. Which is why I didn’t think twice about them.

Fingers crossed all will be sorted Monday!

thanks!!

SJD

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12735367)
To reiterate, a SSN is NOT needed for healthcare insurance. They can use a dummy number, i.e. 000-00-000 until you get your social security card and then you can provide the new number to them.

Have you husband work with HR or just have a go at them himself.

No clue what this bi-annual wellness test is that you are referring to and why it would make you ineligible for coverage. Assume you have a disease/illness such as diabetes for example that required blood monitoring.

sherbert Sep 14th 2019 6:21 pm

I was insured on my husband's Cigna plan for at least two years without an SSN. I was previously insured by two other companies without an SSN. They always ask for the primary insured's SSN anyway. So, it can be done and someone is telling you porky pies.