Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Initial few days in Chicago

Initial few days in Chicago

Old Oct 29th 2013, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

e3geek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Initial few days in Chicago

I will be lending in Chicago shortly (within a month). I need some guidance like things to do to make the transition as smooth as possible.

- place for initial few days
- tips to rent an apartment
- anything else I need to take care of during the first few days that newbies haven't thought of?

I will be working in downtown so please recommend ways to rent a place near that area while I am still in Sydney Australia.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 12:05 pm
Lt Col (Retd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Initial few days in Chicago

Bring the thickest coat you have, and be prepared to buy a thicker one when you arrive ( try http://LLBean) because it is about to colder in Chicago than you could ever imagine possible!
Old Oct 29th 2013, 12:48 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Stay downtown, or close in. Hotels may be more expensive than out at the airport etc., but at least you'll be in walking distance or handy for bus or subway to downtown, your workplace, and the places you need to investigate for rental.

Marriott Residence Inn is a good option, comfortable room with FULL kitchen (rather than just a teeny fridge and microwave.). There are at least two of those in the River North area, walking distance from downtown.

Buses and subways are easy in Chicago. You can buy a card for unlimited travel at the airport subway station, $33 for a week. Then later you keep the card and have various recharge options ...
Old Oct 29th 2013, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

e3geek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
Stay downtown, or close in. Hotels may be more expensive than out at the airport etc., but at least you'll be in walking distance or handy for bus or subway to downtown, your workplace, and the places you need to investigate for rental.

Marriott Residence Inn is a good option, comfortable room with FULL kitchen (rather than just a teeny fridge and microwave.). There are at least two of those in the River North area, walking distance from downtown.

Buses and subways are easy in Chicago. You can buy a card for unlimited travel at the airport subway station, $33 for a week. Then later you keep the card and have various recharge options ...
What do you say about extended stay America? I see that is quite cheap as compared to something by Marriott?
Old Oct 29th 2013, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by e3geek View Post
I will be lending in Chicago shortly (within a month). I need some guidance like things to do to make the transition as smooth as possible.
What visa do you have? If this is your only plan, I wouldn't be making too many arrangements yet.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 3:24 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

What do you say about extended stay America? I see that is quite cheap as compared to something by Marriott?
They are very comfortable too, with kitchens, and a laundromat in the building. Cheaper than Marriott Residence Inn or similar. My impression is (I could be wrong) there are several in Chicago, but they are all further out so not so good for downtown.

I've stayed in Extended Stay America in other cities, they are comfortable and good value but typically not centrally located ....
Old Oct 29th 2013, 4:05 pm
Lt Col (Retd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by retzie View Post
What visa do you have? If this is your only plan, I wouldn't be making too many arrangements yet.
Good observation. I've been over there to give him a little advice and a few pointers.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

monfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by retzie View Post
His username, "e3geek", may give us a clue?
Old Oct 29th 2013, 4:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

- tips to rent an apartment
- anything else I need to take care of during the first few days that newbies haven't thought of?
Big wedge of cash for deposits to make up for lack of credit history.

See who's responsible for snow removal and when.

See how much it costs to park a car in and around home/work and the snow situation.

Get whatever they call the commuter travel card is.