Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Inheritance Tax

Inheritance Tax

Old May 9th 2019, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Inheritance Tax

Hi all,

I spoke with my Mum yesterday who mentioned she chatted to her financial advisor about inheritance tax for yearly gifts she sends to me and my wife if she passes within 7 years. The amounts are not huge, but also not insignificant (think 5 figures).

If she passes, will HMRC collect the tax owed from her estate or me through the IRS?

Tx,

H
Old May 9th 2019, 1:27 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Inheritance Tax

How can HMRC, a British agency collect through a US agency - IRS?
Old May 9th 2019, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

HMRC will collect any tax owed from her estate. The executor should complete the relevant IHT form. It is a simple enough form to understand.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...on-iht205-2011

Old May 9th 2019, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
suppose taxes were owed on £100k, then when her house and property are sold the taxes will be collected by HMRC on the proceeds of the sale before they are distributed to her heirs.
Old May 9th 2019, 1:37 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad

suppose taxes were owed on £100k, then when her house and property are sold the taxes will be collected by HMRC on the proceeds of the sale before they are distributed to her heirs.
Are you telling me that HMRC will then turn the taxes paid over to the IRS?
Old May 9th 2019, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Are you telling me that HMRC will then turn the taxes paid over to the IRS?
Why would they? unless I have misunderstood the op the mother lives in the UK so any taxes she pays including inheritance tax is due to HMRC not to the IRS.

The op is asking if HMRC will come after him in the USA for any taxes due on the money he was gifted during his mother’s lifetime (the last 7 years of her life)

Old May 9th 2019, 2:53 pm
Concierge

Why would they? unless I have misunderstood the op the mother lives in the UK so any taxes she pays including inheritance tax is due to HMRC not to the IRS.

The op is asking if HMRC will come after him in the USA for any taxes due on the money he was gifted during his mother’s lifetime (the last 7 years of her life)

Then why are you inferring that my original statement was incorrect? see post #2 Man, you are confusing me.
Old May 9th 2019, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Then why are you inferring that my original statement was incorrect? see post #2 Man, you are confusing me.

sorry, I misunderstood as post 2 was a question not a statement.

You didn’t explain how HMRC would collect the tax, so mistakenly I took your question to be asking how the taxes would be collected.
Old May 9th 2019, 3:15 pm
Concierge

sorry, I misunderstood as post 2 was a question not at statement.

You didn’t explain how HMRC would collect the tax, so mistakenly I took your question to be asking how the taxes would be collected.
Have to start using the similie
Old May 9th 2019, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PetrifiedExPat
Hi all,

I spoke with my Mum yesterday who mentioned she chatted to her financial advisor about inheritance tax for yearly gifts she sends to me and my wife if she passes within 7 years. The amounts are not huge, but also not insignificant (think 5 figures).

If she passes, will HMRC collect the tax owed from her estate or me through the IRS?

Tx,

H
Not what you asked, but you should also consider the need to report receipt of the gifts to the IRS: https://www.irs.gov/businesses/gifts...foreign-person
Old May 9th 2019, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, all.

No need to report for me, its not enough!

OK, it seems like the estate pays, which is fine.