Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Inheritance Tax

Inheritance Tax

Old Feb 13th 2007, 2:08 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Inheritance Tax

Originally Posted by candy wy.
the estate tax laws was changed in the last few years, it seems to me that if your US citizen spouse dies it is no different if you are a PR than if you are a citizen.

http://www.dkosopedia.com/wiki/Feder...state_Taxation
Doesn't help those of us not married to USCs...
Old Feb 13th 2007, 2:16 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Doesn't help those of us not married to USCs...
Which part of "or resident" did you not understand, in the first line
Old Feb 13th 2007, 2:19 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by candy wy.
Which part of "or resident" did you not understand, in the first line
???

"Assets transferred to a U.S. citizens spouse at death are not subject to the estate tax. "

I do not see a reference to resident...
Old Feb 13th 2007, 2:23 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
It is the case when both are GC holders that I would be interested in.

Rete, I muddled through the site yesterday for a few mins, but frankly, like always, they're rather good at playing hide and seek with their informaion.....

I printed it out and did a quick scan and found it right away. Just lucky I guess.

Also it says for US Citizen, non-citizens, residents and non-residents. At least it is a starting point on the inheritance tax percentages. So it would apply if both are residents only.
Old Feb 13th 2007, 3:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold

This article http://www.dkosopedia.com/wiki/Feder...state_Taxation
does not address the specific situation of LPR/USC or LPR/LPR married couples.

The point where LPRs are treated differently when it comes to Estate tax in the USA with the IRS is that a surving spouse who is an LPR does not get
"the Marital Deduction".
All joint property - cash, houses etc is assumed to belong to the first spouse to expire, if the survivor is an LPR. And this would be assessed for estate tax ( at the thresholds and percentages in effect at the time for estate tax generally.
So if your USC or LPR spouse dies and you are an LPR the result tax wise is; it's as though you were not married.

The reason the Government came up with this is they were afraid the LPR would take the money and run (home).
You could file a QDOT though.
Old Feb 13th 2007, 4:07 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by farmerwife
does not address the specific situation of LPR/USC or LPR/LPR married couples.

The point where LPRs are treated differently when it comes to Estate tax in the USA with the IRS is that a surving spouse who is an LPR does not get
"the Marital Deduction".
All joint property - cash, houses etc is assumed to belong to the first spouse to expire, if the survivor is an LPR. And this would be assessed for estate tax ( at the thresholds and percentages in effect at the time for estate tax generally.
So if your USC or LPR spouse dies and you are an LPR the result tax wise is; it's as though you were not married.

The reason the Government came up with this is they were afraid the LPR would take the money and run (home).
How would that work though? I read that "The trust must have at least one U.S. trustee who is a U.S. citizen or domestic corporation". The way I read this, this puts as back to square one.
Old Feb 13th 2007, 4:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold

Elvira

A QDOT trust member could be your lawyer or accountant. Some one who is "guaranteeing" that estate taxes would be paid ( if they were due) when the remaining LPR spouse dies.
Or if you are eligible, the simplist thing to do is become a USC.
But you have to have it completed before the Estate tax return (of first spouse) is finalised.
That's what prompted me to do it. Otherwise to do the "renounce, abjure, revoke bit" is ... well...
I do wish we had the Blue Hair Raising face to work with still.
Farmerwife ( BTW, Mr Farmer is still alive and well)
Old Feb 13th 2007, 4:40 pm
Homebody

Elvira

A QDOT trust member could be your lawyer or accountant. Some one who is "guaranteeing" that estate taxes would be paid ( if they were due) when the remaining LPR spouse dies.
Or if you are eligible, the simplist thing to do is become a USC.
But you have to have it completed before the Estate tax return (of first spouse) is finalised.
That's what prompted me to do it. Otherwise to do the "renounce, abjure, revoke bit" is ... well...
I do wish we had the Blue Hair Raising face to work with still.
Farmerwife ( BTW, Mr Farmer is still alive and well)
Thanks. We're not eligible to 'naturalize' for some years yet. Let's hope we stay alive!
Old Feb 13th 2007, 5:02 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Go to:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i706.pdf --

See chart on page 4

Maximum tax percentage is 46% but that if the inheritance is over 2 million

Note: This amount for tax purposes is after deductions. State tax is no longer deductible but there is a provision on the form for an adjustment of some sort.
State tax deduction is in, but too late to make the forms. I had another billet-doux from the IRS. I'll look for it and give the references, or scan it.

Edit.2006 changes, here

Last edited by paddingtongreen; Feb 13th 2007 at 5:06 pm.
Old Feb 13th 2007, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks. We're not eligible to 'naturalize' for some years yet. Let's hope we stay alive!
I am sure all on BE hope that too!
Old Feb 13th 2007, 5:42 pm
Homebody

I am sure all on BE hope that too!
I wouldn't be too sure - I've had death threats, you know...
Old Feb 13th 2007, 5:45 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: Inheritance Tax

Of course I bloody well would take the money and run home to the UK!

Don't see why they deem it fair to tax resident non-citizens more than citizens though....
Old Feb 13th 2007, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

I wouldn't be too sure - I've had death threats, you know...
No!!!!!!!
BE wouldn't be as much fun. Even tho' I don't join in all the time I do enjoy reading all the witty repartee

Seriously tho' . I thought this might be helpful. At least it factors in the (provided spouse is a USC bit) - which a lot of basic articles leave out.
http://www.smartmoney.com/estate/ind...tory=estatetax
And then there's the state's take on the $$$$$$$$$ money to consider also- depends on which state you live in for how much they want.
Old Feb 13th 2007, 6:04 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Inheritance Tax

Some interesting links here:

http://www.lisaelliottlaw.com/qdot.htm

http://www.lawattstimes.com/articles.../business2.txt

Below is info for dual nationals resident in the UK (which is where I hope to be when I'm an old lady LOL! and probably a dual national by then):

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/5dde7a66-1c1...00e2511c8.html

Difficult to make head or tail of this but this is for US citizens (or even dual US/UK citizens) in the UK; a House of Commons Standing Committee debate in June 2006 - read down from 'Column no. 651):

http://www.publications.parliament.u...m/60615s03.htm

US Taxation of Foreign Citizens (KPMG accountancy firm):

http://www.us.kpmg.com/microsite/ies...t/chapter8.htm