Inheritance

Old Sep 30th 2007, 11:39 pm
Just Joined

patbrit7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Inheritance

Has anyone in the U.S. inherited money from a relative in the U.K.? I'm wondering if I'll have to pay tax on it if I get it transferred over here.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 12:39 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Default Re: Inheritance

Originally Posted by patbrit7
Has anyone in the U.S. inherited money from a relative in the U.K.? I'm wondering if I'll have to pay tax on it if I get it transferred over here.
Yes and I kept my mouth shut just incase and kept in in my UK bank account.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 2:30 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

AFAIK, no tax is payable to the IRS if inheritance tax was paid in the UK, or if none was due there.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 2:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Luckly (for them and me 'cos it means they're still alive) no...sadly I'll be inherting zip.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 3:04 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

When my Mum goes ..is their tax to be paid on hundred of pairs of shoes ...
Handbags by the caseful ... and unlimited supplies of towels and sheets,
Old Oct 1st 2007, 5:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

depends if your a USC, greencard holder or just on a visa....and local taxes would depend on your state...
Old Oct 1st 2007, 6:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
depends if your a USC, greencard holder or just on a visa....and local taxes would depend on your state...
The receipt of an inheritance? I don't think so. The estate is not relevant to US taxation given that it is "domiciled" in the UK:- inheritance taxes, if any, are paid by the estate not the recipient of the inheritance.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 6:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
The receipt of an inheritance? I don't think so. The estate is not relevant to US taxation given that it is "domiciled" in the UK:- inheritance taxes, if any, are paid by the estate not the recipient of the inheritance.
If your not a USC, you don't get those benefits though...
Old Oct 1st 2007, 6:43 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
If your not a USC, you don't get those benefits though...
I believe you're wrong here, Bob.

Either that or our accountant is talking out of his
Old Oct 1st 2007, 6:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Elvira
I believe you're wrong here, Bob.

Either that or our accountant is talking out of his
The way I understood it, if you weren't a US citizen and you got it, you didn't get that $2M free and it weren't the estate but you for getting the cash that stumped...but then again, that could have been a maine thing taking their fair share as a state.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 7:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
The way I understood it, if you weren't a US citizen and you got it, you didn't get that $2M free and it weren't the estate but you for getting the cash that stumped...but then again, that could have been a maine thing taking their fair share as a state.
You are talking about the reverse situation, where the estate is that of a person subject to US tax and the recipient is a non-citizen spouse. And even in that case, the first $2m (or whatever it is this year) avoids estate tax. The difference is that a non-citizen spouse does not get the unlimited marital deduction that a US citizen spouse does. Here's an explanation:

http://www.investorguide.com/igu-art...tax-traps.html
Old Oct 10th 2007, 1:08 am
Just Joined

patbrit7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the info. I'm a green card holder by the way, and the inheritance from my British family.
Old Oct 10th 2007, 2:54 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the info. I'm a green card holder by the way, and the inheritance from my British family.
As far as I know, U.S. law taxes the estate, not the recipient.

You still need to consider:
- the U.S. capital gains tax position on future disposals of the asset; and
- British Inheritance Tax will apply to the estate