British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Inheritance (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/inheritance-484520/)

patbrit7 Sep 30th 2007 11:39 pm

Inheritance

Has anyone in the U.S. inherited money from a relative in the U.K.? I'm wondering if I'll have to pay tax on it if I get it transferred over here.

Rushman Oct 1st 2007 12:39 am

Re: Inheritance

Originally Posted by patbrit7 (Post 5372338)
Has anyone in the U.S. inherited money from a relative in the U.K.? I'm wondering if I'll have to pay tax on it if I get it transferred over here.

Yes and I kept my mouth shut just incase and kept in in my UK bank account.

Elvira Oct 1st 2007 2:30 am

AFAIK, no tax is payable to the IRS if inheritance tax was paid in the UK, or if none was due there.

Jerseygirl Oct 1st 2007 2:42 am

Luckly (for them and me 'cos it means they're still alive) no...sadly I'll be inherting zip.

Ray Oct 1st 2007 3:04 pm

When my Mum goes ..is their tax to be paid on hundred of pairs of shoes ...
Handbags by the caseful ... and unlimited supplies of towels and sheets,

Bob Oct 1st 2007 5:22 pm

depends if your a USC, greencard holder or just on a visa....and local taxes would depend on your state...

Giantaxe Oct 1st 2007 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 5374633)
depends if your a USC, greencard holder or just on a visa....and local taxes would depend on your state...

The receipt of an inheritance? I don't think so. The estate is not relevant to US taxation given that it is "domiciled" in the UK:- inheritance taxes, if any, are paid by the estate not the recipient of the inheritance.

Bob Oct 1st 2007 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 5374870)
The receipt of an inheritance? I don't think so. The estate is not relevant to US taxation given that it is "domiciled" in the UK:- inheritance taxes, if any, are paid by the estate not the recipient of the inheritance.

If your not a USC, you don't get those benefits though...

Elvira Oct 1st 2007 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 5375077)
If your not a USC, you don't get those benefits though...

I believe you're wrong here, Bob.

Either that or our accountant is talking out of his :ohmy:

Bob Oct 1st 2007 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 5375099)
I believe you're wrong here, Bob.

Either that or our accountant is talking out of his :ohmy:

The way I understood it, if you weren't a US citizen and you got it, you didn't get that $2M free and it weren't the estate but you for getting the cash that stumped...but then again, that could have been a maine thing taking their fair share as a state.

Giantaxe Oct 1st 2007 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 5375111)
The way I understood it, if you weren't a US citizen and you got it, you didn't get that $2M free and it weren't the estate but you for getting the cash that stumped...but then again, that could have been a maine thing taking their fair share as a state.

You are talking about the reverse situation, where the estate is that of a person subject to US tax and the recipient is a non-citizen spouse. And even in that case, the first $2m (or whatever it is this year) avoids estate tax. The difference is that a non-citizen spouse does not get the unlimited marital deduction that a US citizen spouse does. Here's an explanation:

http://www.investorguide.com/igu-art...tax-traps.html

patbrit7 Oct 10th 2007 1:08 am

Thanks for all the info. I'm a green card holder by the way, and the inheritance from my British family.

JAJ Oct 10th 2007 2:54 am

Originally Posted by patbrit7 (Post 5406673)
Thanks for all the info. I'm a green card holder by the way, and the inheritance from my British family.

As far as I know, U.S. law taxes the estate, not the recipient.

You still need to consider:
- the U.S. capital gains tax position on future disposals of the asset; and
- British Inheritance Tax will apply to the estate