Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

to-ing and fro-ing because of UK housing & business (long... as I am known for!!)

to-ing and fro-ing because of UK housing & business (long... as I am known for!!)

Old Nov 16th 2007, 1:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute
Default to-ing and fro-ing because of UK housing & business (long... as I am known for!!)

I suppose it's only natural to 'to and fro' even after the decision to go back has been made?
We know we want to wait out our cit.ships so we're here for about 2 years yet. We are also thinking hard about the best way for our eldest to complete his education be it we wait an extra year and let him complete high school here or set him back a year to do GCSE's or an IB school etc...
The housing situation is really causing us a lot of concern. We own here in the US (let's not forget what a horrible time it is to sell in the USA at the moment). Like many, we live in a home we could never afford to own back in the UK and still be within a close proximity to work (London) but when we go back we will have to rent and with the prices the way they are I can't see how we will ever pay the rent and still save a good amount of money to ever have a big enough deposit to ever buy a half decent house ever again. It's really a big downer.
Part of the problem is this. Since being out here I have built up a rather good business and earn twice what I did in London p.m. I'm far from loaded but definately more comfortable and it makes a difference to the quality of our lives as far as not having to worry as much. I can try to transfer my business (or at least the basics and try to build it up) to the UK when we go but I know I will not be able to earn as much, unless I build it up in other ways... unknown territory at the moment though so I assume the worst.
Also, we're in our mid 30's too so by the time we get back we'll be heading towards 40 with speed and I'm not sure if being in our 40's will limit us in any way mortgage wise... does anyone know?

Over the past couple of weeks we have toyed with the idea of staying here and buying a little place over in the UK. We really like the idea of owning a little something to call our own in the UK, (something that is as inexpensive as possible!), a little apartment or a bungalow in Essex (close to family) and having a 'home' there so that we feel more connected and have somewhere to go when we go on visits instead of crashing with relatives and friends and basically living out the boot of a hire car for 10 days. Also we could try to make changes in our lives so that we went back every year without fail and stayed longer than 1-2 weeks so we could spend proper time with family rather than flying around like lunatics trying to fit everyone in.

All thoughts/stories welcome. Thanks for reading
Old Nov 16th 2007, 1:44 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: to-ing and fro-ing because of UK housing & business (long... as I am known for!!)

Originally Posted by USAGypsies
I suppose it's only natural to 'to and fro' even after the decision to go back has been made?
We know we want to wait out our cit.ships so we're here for about 2 years yet. We are also thinking hard about the best way for our eldest to complete his education be it we wait an extra year and let him complete high school here or set him back a year to do GCSE's or an IB school etc...
The housing situation is really causing us a lot of concern. We own here in the US (let's not forget what a horrible time it is to sell in the USA at the moment). Like many, we live in a home we could never afford to own back in the UK and still be within a close proximity to work (London) but when we go back we will have to rent and with the prices the way they are I can't see how we will ever pay the rent and still save a good amount of money to ever have a big enough deposit to ever buy a half decent house ever again. It's really a big downer.
Part of the problem is this. Since being out here I have built up a rather good business and earn twice what I did in London p.m. I'm far from loaded but definately more comfortable and it makes a difference to the quality of our lives as far as not having to worry as much. I can try to transfer my business (or at least the basics and try to build it up) to the UK when we go but I know I will not be able to earn as much, unless I build it up in other ways... unknown territory at the moment though so I assume the worst.
Also, we're in our mid 30's too so by the time we get back we'll be heading towards 40 with speed and I'm not sure if being in our 40's will limit us in any way mortgage wise... does anyone know?

Over the past couple of weeks we have toyed with the idea of staying here and buying a little place over in the UK. We really like the idea of owning a little something to call our own in the UK, (something that is as inexpensive as possible!), a little apartment or a bungalow in Essex (close to family) and having a 'home' there so that we feel more connected and have somewhere to go when we go on visits instead of crashing with relatives and friends and basically living out the boot of a hire car for 10 days. Also we could try to make changes in our lives so that we went back every year without fail and stayed longer than 1-2 weeks so we could spend proper time with family rather than flying around like lunatics trying to fit everyone in.

Sorry, I cannot help you make a decision about where you should live, but I would be hesitant to buy any property just now - be it in the UK or the US. Not until all this financial turbulence has settled somewhat.

House prices in both countries are currently falling, and this trend is likely to continue for some time. Have a look at the Property Market Trends discussion board at the Motley Fool: www.fool.co.uk for punters' views on what is happening in the UK.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of
Default Re: to-ing and fro-ing because of UK housing & business (long... as I am known for!!)

I love reading your posts...they are quite enjoyable to read...Just so happens I got on here today, to check new posts.

Well, I hear the housing isn't so good over there, I would think it would be more of a buyers market now...my friend in Essex, has had their home on the market since the end of Sept and they haven't had a viewing, dropped 15,000gbp and have fixed there home up all new fixtures/fittings( so it isn't one that needs any reno). Soooo!!! I would think look into it, try to see if you could get a flat, I would still think bugalows are in demand since there are very few off them out there.

We are around the same age bracket, so it will be good to see other responses about getting a mortgage/age are concerns to think about? My thinking is if you have the moola, why wouldn't they??

I have been watching PHIL and KRISTIE on Location brit property show...I think I would want to use them. As we don't know all the good areas, catchment areas, and this way we may feel more at ease w/the whole process!

Good Luck,
x
Old Nov 16th 2007, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond repute

If you are waiting for your citizenships, I would definitely put in the extra year to get your son through his high school exams. I found it hard enough concentrating for my GCSE's without just having moved to a new school let alone a new country.

On the housing market, I think this is where you need to be careful. If you're buying a house to live in for a longer term, then anytime is okay as I think over the long term it wont matter, though of course try not to buy at the height of the bubble. For a second home, which you might want to sell sooner than later, I think it would be better to wait and see what's going to happen, I don't think that anyone knows whether a big crash is coming or not.

Finances, always seem to be the things that complicate things. I would love to go back now, but worry about the finances out back home too. I would be going back looking for work, which I would try to do before going back but remembering that the market is a lot smaller in the UK, job security is a worry.

Don't know what else to say it's all so depressing.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 5:06 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

It's quite ironic that you feel you can afford to buy a UK house if you live in the US, but not if you live in the UK!! (I agree, it probably is easier). I barely make ends meet each month (and I'm not exactly on a meagre salary) but before I came back 15 months ago I had looked very seriously at buying a UK house even if I stayed in the US - I was close to paying off my US mortgage, but even without this had plenty left over each month to consider putting it into a UK property.

The difference between me and you seems to be you are talking about buying a second home for your own use whereas I was thinking more of a buy-to-let (with the idea it would possibly eventually become my home if I ever retired here). Paying the mortgage on a UK house that is going to lie empty most of the year is a big money pit if you ask me (even if it is a small apartment or bungalow in Essex). I mean, monthly payments these days are about 700 GBP per 100k - that's $1400 (and rising)! That's $15,000 per year! You could rent a place when you come back for your visits for a lot less than that ...

So I'd advise caution. First, the direction of house prices is very uncertain. Second, an empty house is an invitation to burglars and difficult to insure. Third, it's an expensive way to have a holiday cottage for a few weeks a year (don't forget you'll need to pay council tax and heating in winter). I can't think of many positives at the moment. If you really do want to feel you have a place in the UK, buy one and rent it out. Maybe even buy a holiday cottage so you can pick and choose when you rent it and use it yourselves when you return ...
Old Nov 16th 2007, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute

{Also, we're in our mid 30's too so by the time we get back we'll be heading towards 40 with speed and I'm not sure if being in our 40's will limit us in any way mortgage wise... does anyone know?

All thoughts/stories welcome. Thanks for reading [/QUOTE]

Hi

just to let you know, im 47 (knocking 48) and got a mortgage this july with only one wage slip and no permenant position to boot.

This was from the Darlington building society and with the help of a good finacial advisor.

I did put a good deposit down as well plus as a teacher its believed that there is always work for us!

Good luck with you decision.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 5:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
It's quite ironic that you feel you can afford to buy a UK house if you live in the US, but not if you live in the UK!! (I agree, it probably is easier). I barely make ends meet each month (and I'm not exactly on a meagre salary) but before I came back 15 months ago I had looked very seriously at buying a UK house even if I stayed in the US - I was close to paying off my US mortgage, but even without this had plenty left over each month to consider putting it into a UK property.

The difference between me and you seems to be you are talking about buying a second home for your own use whereas I was thinking more of a buy-to-let (with the idea it would possibly eventually become my home if I ever retired here). Paying the mortgage on a UK house that is going to lie empty most of the year is a big money pit if you ask me (even if it is a small apartment or bungalow in Essex). I mean, monthly payments these days are about 700 GBP per 100k - that's $1400 (and rising)! That's $15,000 per year! You could rent a place when you come back for your visits for a lot less than that ...

So I'd advise caution. First, the direction of house prices is very uncertain. Second, an empty house is an invitation to burglars and difficult to insure. Third, it's an expensive way to have a holiday cottage for a few weeks a year (don't forget you'll need to pay council tax and heating in winter). I can't think of many positives at the moment. If you really do want to feel you have a place in the UK, buy one and rent it out. Maybe even buy a holiday cottage so you can pick and choose when you rent it and use it yourselves when you return ...
I agree with just about everything you've said. I've been mulling all those facts over for years but in the end decided to finally bite the bullet. UK house prices will probably fall if I wait...but in the meantime look what's happening to the US$. Just kicking myself I didn't buy a few years ago.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 9:14 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I agree with just about everything you've said. I've been mulling all those facts over for years but in the end decided to finally bite the bullet. UK house prices will probably fall if I wait...but in the meantime look what's happening to the US$. Just kicking myself I didn't buy a few years ago.
You are buying with a long-term outlook, so whatever happens in the next year or two or three, it'll work out fine for you. Plus you're buying your dream home, so why wait?
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 11:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute

I want to thank you for your input as do I want to thank all of you - this site and the people on it keeps me sane at times!!!!
We're thinking through all the options but one thing is we really do need to attempt to sell our current house (our main home) here in the US because it's sucking up a lot of money in mortgage payments, tax, community fees etc... that we could be saving for our return if we were just renting.
Right now renting seems to be the bast place to be, both here and in the UK whilst everything is so crazy with both housing markets. Dunroving, are you renting in the UK? Did you sell your house in the US before you left 15 months ago?
Old Nov 24th 2007, 12:05 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

For some people, yes it is. Bear in mind that even if the "decision" has been made, it may not be irreversible if one suddenly realizes it was a mistake.

For example, even if you've resigned from your job it might be possible to go back to your employer and ask if you could stay after all. From the employer's point of view, that may be preferable to you leaving, unless they want you to leave anyway. Similarly, flights can be cancelled etc.

As you stay you're staying for 2 years then there's plenty of time to keep things open, but others have perhaps over-rated the extent to which they were committed to move once making the "decision."
Old Nov 24th 2007, 9:05 am
Ping-ponger

I want to thank you for your input as do I want to thank all of you - this site and the people on it keeps me sane at times!!!!
We're thinking through all the options but one thing is we really do need to attempt to sell our current house (our main home) here in the US because it's sucking up a lot of money in mortgage payments, tax, community fees etc... that we could be saving for our return if we were just renting.
Right now renting seems to be the bast place to be, both here and in the UK whilst everything is so crazy with both housing markets. Dunroving, are you renting in the UK? Did you sell your house in the US before you left 15 months ago?
Yes, I sold my US house, and then rented when I first came back. I now own a former council property with a mortgage like a millstone around my neck.

I'm one of those people JAJ has in mind in his post above this one. I'm not making any sudden decisions, but have had huge second thoughts and wished I'd maybe asked for a one year unpaid leave and/or not sold my house and truck. I can say almost without a shadow of a doubt that if I'd done that, I would have moved back into my old house and job this summer. The main thing holding me back right now is the idea that I moved all my stuff back (and my dog), and the hassle of finding a new job, going through immigration, etc.
Old Nov 24th 2007, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JAJ
For some people, yes it is. Bear in mind that even if the "decision" has been made, it may not be irreversible if one suddenly realizes it was a mistake.

For example, even if you've resigned from your job it might be possible to go back to your employer and ask if you could stay after all. From the employer's point of view, that may be preferable to you leaving, unless they want you to leave anyway. Similarly, flights can be cancelled etc.

As you stay you're staying for 2 years then there's plenty of time to keep things open, but others have perhaps over-rated the extent to which they were committed to move once making the "decision."
I appreciate your thoughts/insight and I feel a pang when reading your last paragraph.
We are fortunate in that we are quite free (location wise) when it comes to work. This I know has been a factor in how we feel about living here in the US - no anchors. A problem some people would like to have I know but it's made settling more difficult. When you compare us with others that immigrated specifically for a job or to marry an American and at least have family here, all be it not directly your own, I wonder if it is easier to settle abroad if you have these anchors.
Having said all of that, we feel happiest/most settled in Florida, more than anywhere else in the USA that we have tried but now we have other issues like the school system being absolute sh**, my son (as of last night) is currently traumatised by a 'turf' fight that he had no idea he was in the middle of had to punch a kid older, bigger kid from a rival school to stop from being swung at with a baseball bat (of course a mothers thoughts are it could have been a knife or gun), and is now worried 'their friends may come after me' (not necessarily related to our location but we live here right now and this is where it is happening). Also, I seem to have got some health issues here in the sub-tropical climate, nothing major but 5 courses of antibiotics (so far) in 2007 for sinus infections and nasal allergies I have never experienced before are not fun. Anyway, back to it.... our only real commitment since taking our decision to return is that we announced it to our families and they are very happy and excited (tears have been spilt) that we are returning.
I do believe we are going to return to the UK. I think it is more a case of when and I am slowly talking myself (as is my OH) round to the fact that renting may be best in either country right now.

Dunroving.... I read your reply with great interest and I feel really bothered for you, I imagine the senario that you are actually living within all the time. I want to know why you are considering returning to the USA and please forgive me if you have detailed in other posts... if you want to link me to a past one that says it all that would work .
I wonder this for you and for myself.... is it possible to ever feel 100% happy with the place you are in right now? I think the answer is no. So what will you settle for 55% happy or above? I can't help but think if I stay in the USA, yes I can exist quite comfortably compared to the UK and yes we could tough it out now whilst the urge to go home is at it's strongest but I really believe the feeling to go home will always return like 'the thought that wouldn't die'!!! Do you know what I mean. You have done the return and know you know for sure, and although I do not envy what you have gone through to make your decision that the USA may well just be the place for you, I do envy how much more certain you are.
Old Nov 24th 2007, 3:34 pm
Ping-ponger

Dunroving.... I read your reply with great interest and I feel really bothered for you, I imagine the senario that you are actually living within all the time. I want to know why you are considering returning to the USA and please forgive me if you have detailed in other posts... if you want to link me to a past one that says it all that would work .
I wonder this for you and for myself.... is it possible to ever feel 100% happy with the place you are in right now? I think the answer is no. So what will you settle for 55% happy or above? I can't help but think if I stay in the USA, yes I can exist quite comfortably compared to the UK and yes we could tough it out now whilst the urge to go home is at it's strongest but I really believe the feeling to go home will always return like 'the thought that wouldn't die'!!! Do you know what I mean. You have done the return and know you know for sure, and although I do not envy what you have gone through to make your decision that the USA may well just be the place for you, I do envy how much more certain you are.
Well, the (fairly!) short story is as follows:

Unlike many others, I didn't have any of the major typical driving factors bringing me home (liked the US and had a great job; wasn't sorely missing my homeland; don't have an array of old friends and family to come back to, etc.)

I came back more due to an accumulation of factors that together just made it seem like time to come home. It was more of a "Well if I am going to return to the UK, it makes sense to do it now". I was coming to the end of my second H-1B visa and so would have had to apply for the Green Card if I was going to stay. I was starting to think about later life (I'm 50 y.o.), retirement, health and family and it just seemed that the UK is a more humane place to live when you are older, have health problems, and/or don't have family to take care of you. I'm very close to my twin brother and he and I have lived in different countries from each other since 1983 and I've always thought we'd end up living close to each other in later life (he's currently in Dubai and probably will be there for another 2-5 years).

Fast forward 15 months, and things haven't worked out quite as expected. Majorly, house prices and the falling dollar have led me to end up with a huge mortgage and realizing that (a) I'll be paying it for the next 25 years, and (b) if I did get ill or unemployed, I'd lose my house. Add to that the fact I'm greatly disillusioned with university teaching in the UK (there have been some major policy and political shifts in the UK HE sector leading to huge classes, a lowering of standards and expectations, to name just two things). Add to that a gnawing homesickness for the US, and various other lifestyle changes that mean in every category of life I'm "having less fun" here, and you have an understanding of why I'm seriously considering a move back.

If I could go back and change my decision to come home, I most definitely would. My quality of life is far worse now than it was. It's just a question of whether I have the energy and oportunity to make the move back to the US or whether I'll come to accept that here is where I'll be staying and make the best of my situation.

I think anyone who is 100% happy where they are is the exception rather than the rule. My early globetrotting days were very much simply a fun experience for a young guy with no responsibilities. Since I've got to an age and situation where I've started thinking in terms of the "Is this the place?" question, I'd say I'd give the following happiness ratings:

Tennessee (1996-1999): 70%-90% happy at various times
U.K. (2000): 30% happy
North Carolina (2001-2006): 50%-80% happy at various times
U.K. (2006-2007): 20%-50% happy at various times

Last edited by dunroving; Nov 24th 2007 at 3:53 pm.
Old Nov 24th 2007, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tennessee (1996-1999): 70%-90% happy at various times
U.K. (2000): 30% happy
North Carolina (2001-2006): 50%-80% happy at various times
U.K. (2006-2007): 20%-50% happy at various times
I appreciate you writing all that so I can understand better and I am wondering.... in 2000 you were only 30% happy with living in the UK and now you are 25-50% happy - what's the main difference between life then and life now?
Also I'm wondering about whether you have other factors impacting on your happiness level... for example (and ignore this if it's too personal and I shan't bring it up again/or perhaps you prefer to PM some things), but is there a Mrs Dunroving in the picture at all?... it's just you mention work and family and lifestyle but no mention of a partner.
Old Nov 24th 2007, 8:21 pm
Ping-ponger

I appreciate you writing all that so I can understand better and I am wondering.... in 2000 you were only 30% happy with living in the UK and now you are 25-50% happy - what's the main difference between life then and life now?
Also I'm wondering about whether you have other factors impacting on your happiness level... for example (and ignore this if it's too personal and I shan't bring it up again/or perhaps you prefer to PM some things), but is there a Mrs Dunroving in the picture at all?... it's just you mention work and family and lifestyle but no mention of a partner.
Nope, just me and the dog. Luckily, she (Suzy) has quite readily dealt with all the to-ing and fro-ing - I think if I had a wife she'd have probably killed me by now!

2000 was a very hectic year. I very quickly realized conditions at my workplace were different than stated at the interview 4 months earlier. Essentially a tranche of dept members were upping and leaving for another faculty and the department's future was in jeopardy. Among other things this meant I had no research opportunities and future prospects looked bleak. In March of that year, a great job opportunity came up in the States, I interviewed in about May, and was offered the job. So, planning to leave from March, concealing the fact I was interviewing, and knowing for the last 5 months of the year that I was leaving made for a very unsettling and stressful year. This time, at least I have managed to accept being here for now, which is why it's "20-50%" rather than "30%" (although admittedly, most of the past 15 months have been closer to the lower end than the top end of the range).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.