Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

information needed

information needed

Old Nov 10th 2004, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

clairebear is an unknown quantity at this point
Default information needed

i would like to study in the usa but i cant afford the fees and i know you can get a loan for the fees and i was wondering if any of you knew what companys give loans out to students? any information would be great thanks in advance.
Old Nov 10th 2004, 8:14 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: information needed

Originally Posted by clairebear
i would like to study in the usa but i cant afford the fees and i know you can get a loan for the fees and i was wondering if any of you knew what companys give loans out to students? any information would be great thanks in advance.
Most Student Loans are through Direct Loans of the Federal Gov't. With you not being a citizen it would be difficult for you to get a loan through a US lender.

They would presume you'd piss off back to Britain at the end of your studies and it would be difficult for them to chase you for the repayments should you decide not to pay them back.

On the flip side no UK lender (IMO) will grant you a loan to study in the USA in case you get a h1B / Married and stay in the USA and not bother to pay them back either.

pissing into the wind comes to mind here.
Old Nov 10th 2004, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Manc
Most Student Loans are through Direct Loans of the Federal Gov't. With you not being a citizen it would be difficult for you to get a loan through a US lender.

They would presume you'd piss off back to Britain at the end of your studies and it would be difficult for them to chase you for the repayments should you decide not to pay them back.

On the flip side no UK lender (IMO) will grant you a loan to study in the USA in case you get a h1B / Married and stay in the USA and not bother to pay them back either.

pissing into the wind comes to mind here.

so i have no chance? is that what ur saying?
Old Nov 10th 2004, 8:16 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Undergrad or graduate degree? What subject?

Answering these two questions the right way may give you a fighting chance!
Old Nov 10th 2004, 8:17 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

so i have no chance? is that what ur saying?
with little knowledge of the student visa system and how it's financed etc etc I'd say you have some chance studying in the USA, as lots of people do it.

However, getting funding for it is another matter.

If you were a British Bank would you lend yourself money if they thought there is an outside chance you might not pay it back?
Old Nov 10th 2004, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Undergrad or graduate degree? What subject?

Answering these two questions the right way may give you a fighting chance!
graduate in IT
Old Nov 10th 2004, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

with little knowledge of the student visa system and how it's financed etc etc I'd say you have some chance studying in the USA, as lots of people do it.

However, getting funding for it is another matter.

If you were a British Bank would you lend yourself money if they thought there is an outside chance you might not pay it back?
no i would pay it back kinda loyal to my bank that way.
Old Nov 10th 2004, 8:21 pm
@matthewb76

no i would pay it back kinda loyal to my bank that way.
course you would.

in a previous post I've seen you've looked into marriage on the Visa Waiver Program...........
Old Nov 10th 2004, 8:23 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

I've got some good news for you: You answered number one correct!!!!!!

I can't tell you much about number 2 though. You'll need to talk to specific schools (pardon the Americanism). IT may or may not be one of the ones where the school/state will pay you to study (note: grant/stipend, not loan). I'll defer to others on this...
Old Nov 10th 2004, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

course you would.

in a previous post I've seen you've looked into marriage on the Visa Waiver Program...........

i knew you couldnt do it before i posted it was a tipoff from a friend im not stupid i read the back of the VW the last three times ive had it.

look if you cant help and want to throw pervous posts in my face do it over PM
Old Nov 10th 2004, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
I've got some good news for you: You answered number one correct!!!!!!

I can't tell you much about number 2 though. You'll need to talk to specific schools (pardon the Americanism). IT may or may not be one of the ones where the school/state will pay you to study (note: grant/stipend, not loan). I'll defer to others on this...

OK cool thanks
Old Nov 10th 2004, 8:26 pm
@matthewb76

look if you cant help and want to throw pervous posts in my face do it over PM
proves me correct though doesn't it.

They would see you as too likely to do a runner on them.
Old Nov 10th 2004, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

proves me correct though doesn't it.

They would see you as too likely to do a runner on them.

you seriously dont know me
Old Nov 10th 2004, 8:36 pm
@matthewb76

you seriously dont know me
It's not a question of knowing someone.
If you were a bank would you lend someone money if you thought they were even an outside chance of not seeing them again?
Old Nov 10th 2004, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

It's not a question of knowing someone.
If you were a bank would you lend someone money if you thought they were even an outside chance of not seeing them again?

im not a bank and if i was that person i;d hope to keep my mouth shut about any outside chances.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.