British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Information (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/information-108630/)

gaude May 29th 2002 7:40 pm

Information

Hi All-

I have been hearing a lot about IBIS based delays recently.
We had our AOS interview on May 1 in Boston. The FBI check was approved, but apparently they had *just* started doing IBIS and some additional CIA checks. The Immigration officer said that there was a backlog because of that and said that the case should be adjudicated on May 7.

We waited till May 17th and then sent our lawyer back to the INS. The INS said that the Immigration Officer had misspoken and that the additional checks may take upto 90 days. So, we are waiting for more news from the INS. We are traveling to Greece on my Advanced Parole. A couple of quick questions:

1. Is anyone else in this boat where they went in and did not get stamped at the Boston INS? If so, have you received you approval notice and how long did it take?

2. Are there any issues with traveling on the A.P ?

3. What is this IBIS? What does it contain that the FBI check did not reveal (that question is out of curiosity, not worry...:)

Thanks much all

-- Gaude

Andy Platt May 30th 2002 12:20 pm

Re: Information

"gaude" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi All-
    >
    > I have been hearing a lot about IBIS based delays recently. We had our AOS
    > interview on May 1 in Boston. The FBI check was approved, but apparently they had
    > *just* started doing IBIS and some additional CIA checks. The Immigration officer
    > said that there was a backlog because of that and said that the case should be
    > adjudicated on May 7.
    >
    > We waited till May 17th and then sent our lawyer back to the INS. The INS said that
    > the Immigration Officer had misspoken and that the additional checks may take upto
    > 90 days. So, we are waiting for more news from the INS. We are traveling to Greece
    > on my Advanced Parole. A couple of quick questions:
    >
    > 1. Is anyone else in this boat where they went in and did not get stamped at the
    > Boston INS? If so, have you received you approval notice and how long did it
    > take?
    >
    > 2. Are there any issues with traveling on the A.P ?

Not really. They'll process you through secondary inspection so it may take a little
extra time to clear immigration.

>3. What is this IBIS? What does it contain that the FBI check did not
    > reveal (that question is out of curiosity, not worry...:)

IBIS is a computer system with names of undesirables in. It was used by consulates
but it's use is now expanded. It's different from an FBI check because that really
deals with laws you've broken in the US. I'm surprised the CIA check didn't always
include it though ... by the way the "additional CIA checks" were always done. A few
years ago they took so long they allowed the offices to stamp the I-551 before the
results had returned. One of the changes since 9/11 is that they have to wait for the
checks to complete.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.