Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Inform IRS I'm moving over permanently?

Inform IRS I'm moving over permanently?

Old Feb 17th 2022, 9:56 am
Just Joined

Fe1ix is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Inform IRS I'm moving over permanently?

Hi all, first question on this forum! Thanks for having such a wonderful resource, it's been so helpful as a lurker but I thought I'd finally make an account.
I'm a UK/USA dual citizen and in a couple of weeks I'm moving over to the USA permanently from the UK.

I already have a job and somewhere to live set up but my question is: do I need for formally inform the IRS/government that I'm moving over to the USA for good?
I'm thinking that as long as I use my US passport in the airport I should be OK and should be let in with only a 1-way plane ticket in my pocket, but is that correct?
I know I'll need to inform the IRS about my new US address but perhaps that can wait for my next tax return.

Many thanks in advance.
Old Feb 17th 2022, 9:58 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Inform IRS I'm moving over permanently?

You are not required to inform the IRS that you are now residing in the US. That said, as a dual citizen, I hope you have been filing tax returns every year you have lived abroad as a USC. If not, you have some work to do to remedy this and it needs to be done immediatly.

If you have UK interests/accounts that you intend to keep then be aware you will likely have FBAR and other reporting requirements.

You are correct that a US Citizen is legally required to enter the US using their US passport.

Last edited by civilservant; Feb 17th 2022 at 10:01 am. Reason: Typo
Old Feb 17th 2022, 10:01 am
Just Joined

Fe1ix is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by civilservant
You are not required to inform the IRS that you are now residing in the US. That said, as a dual citizen, I hope you have been filing tax returns every years you have lived abroad as a US.

If you have UK interests/accounts that you intend to keep then be aware you will likely have FBAR and other reporting requirements.

You are correct that a US Citizen is legally require tod enter the US using their US passport.
Thanks very much! This makes a lot of sense. Yes, I have been doing my taxes! All those years of annual head-scratching are finally paying off with this move
Old Feb 17th 2022, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

It is best to tell the UK government that you are leaving: https://www.gov.uk/moving-or-retiring-abroad

If you have been employed in the UK you may have a tax refund due.
Old Feb 17th 2022, 12:30 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fe1ix
Thanks very much! This makes a lot of sense. Yes, I have been doing my taxes! All those years of annual head-scratching are finally paying off with this move
My understanding (and I’ve moved permanently to the United States several times!) is that you don’t need to tell them simply because your next annual tax filing will inform them. Same applies to your next annual FBAR if applicable.
Old Feb 17th 2022, 3:43 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
You are not required to inform the IRS that you are now residing in the US. That said, as a dual citizen, I hope you have been filing tax returns every year you have lived abroad as a USC. If not, you have some work to do to remedy this and it needs to be done immediatly.

You are correct that a US Citizen is legally required to enter the US using their US passport.
They are a USC, so they would already have FBAR filling requirements if they exceed the $10k combined balance abroad limit at any point during the year.