Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Infomation on scaffolding/construction work in the US

Infomation on scaffolding/construction work in the US

Old Oct 11th 2012, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

Elena86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Infomation on scaffolding/construction work in the US

Hi everyone, my husband and son are in the process of getting their visas. Im American born but have lived in the UK pretty much all of my life. My husband is a scaffolder and is earning a decent wage in UK. Im worried about him finding work ive heard that scaffolding/construction isnt doing that well over there. Does anyone have any infomation about scaffolding or construction and how hard it would be for him to find work?
Would we be able to live on that sort of wage in the US?
Were happy to move where the work is, we just dont know the best way to go about it if anyone can offer any advice we would be most grateful!
Thanks
Old Oct 11th 2012, 4:19 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Infomation on scaffolding/construction work in the US

Know nothing about the topic, but a quick Google brought this up:

http://scaffmag.com/scaffolding-jobs...ding-jobs-usa/

Good luck!
Old Oct 11th 2012, 4:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Construction is obviously in the pits at the moment, around where I am which is mainly small contractors they have cut back on their staff and doing whatever small jobs come their way to keep the wolf from the door.

People do live on that sort of wage obviously, but it would be unusual for that to support a family, often where I am again they do not come with benefits so the wife needs a job as well.

Probably a lot of it is also who you know, not an obvious move if he has a good job in the UK.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

Psyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond repute

I'm no expert but I can't say I have ever seen any scaffolding around here that resembles what is erected in the UK. This may be a regional thing though. Most new buildings in this part of the USA are single storey and wood frame construction. Masonry buildings with several storeys seem to have a different type of scaffolding to the UK. He might research construction methods first to make sure he has skills/knowledge that are useable here. And, yeah, the construction industry is not exactly booming although it's picking up (again a regional thing).
Old Oct 11th 2012, 6:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I would think if he has a good job there, why rock the boat? Because you might be up a creek without a paddle over here. At this moment you have a lot you can count on if your husband isn't working, one of them being the NHS. Over here you'll get no help. It can be just that dire.

I think it's usually a good idea to have an adventure, but I'd definitely research your move before you make it. Make sure you have adequate money to start off with and you know about things, such as health insurance.

Good luck!
Old Oct 11th 2012, 6:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I would think if he has a good job there, why rock the boat? Because you might be up a creek without a paddle over here. At this moment you have a lot you can count on if your husband isn't working, one of them being the NHS. Over here you'll get no help. It can be just that dire.

I think it's usually a good idea to have an adventure, but I'd definitely research your move before you make it. Make sure you have adequate money to start off with and you know about things, such as health insurance.

Good luck!
I agree with this. Things may be rough for some in the UK...but rough doesn't even begin to describe what it can be here without health insurance, a job etc.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 6:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It's a massive country...so what applies in one state or city might not in another...

Saying that, hardly ever see any scaffolding work done here, not like in the UK at least and then it's a matter of the unions.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 7:14 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

In addition, he needs to be a union member. If he were Irish, he stands a good chance of making the union roll call but as a Brit not too likely.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 8:19 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
If he were Irish, he stands a good chance of making the union roll call but as a Brit not too likely.
Or Mohawk!
Old Oct 11th 2012, 8:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Scaffolding isn't used too much in the US. I live in a 5 story condo complex and we used to have the windows washed yearly by workers sliding down ropes but about 5 years ago, OSHA outlawed that for safety reasons.

The home owners association (HOA) wanted to paint the building and looked at scaffolding and decided that it would be just as cheap to install motorized lifts driven from the top of the roof as it would be to have scaffolding installed just one time. The HOA decided to go with the motorized lifts which could be used for painting, window washing, and possibly other uses such as lifting large equipment to the roof over the life of the building.

However the 5 story condo complex next to mine did install scaffolding when they had to remove and replace all the exterior walls due to construction defects (job paid for by construction company after they lost a lawsuit). The difference is that our building looked reasonable while the work on our building was being done and their's looked like a mess with all the scaffolding and they had to get city approval to place the scaffolding on the sidewalks since they blocked sidewalks.

Many American buildings are designed differently than many European building where it is pretty easy to install motorized lifts most buildings in the US.

Last edited by Michael; Oct 11th 2012 at 8:44 pm.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 10:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Odd that two of the OP's other five posts are entitled "Scaffolding in Australia" and "Scaffolding in Canada". I guess the nine replies here have put her off!

Last edited by Giantaxe; Oct 11th 2012 at 10:59 pm.
Old Oct 12th 2012, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

We are just looking at all options. We can easily get into America i have family out there so thats always a comfort if things ever went wrong. We heard scaffolding is in demand in Australia and Canada and we know people that have moved out there to do it. So although America is easier i dont know if he'll have any luck getting a job.
All we know is that we want to get out of England! My husband is paid well and i have a part time job and we barely have enough after bills etc, a day and a half of work goes to pay tax. We're constanly stuck indoors because of the weather. I visit my family every year in America and i see how they live and its sickening. Ive always wanted to move back to America.
So although he has a good job that doesnt mean its worth staying for. Plus he would always get it back if he wanted.
I know scaffolding isnt used for small jobs but for larger building in cities there is scaffolding i think its also used on oil rigs.
Old Oct 12th 2012, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the link Nutmegger
Old Oct 12th 2012, 9:11 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elena86
All we know is that we want to get out of England! My husband is paid well and i have a part time job and we barely have enough after bills etc, a day and a half of work goes to pay tax. We're constanly stuck indoors because of the weather.
No idea about Oz, but why do you think Canada will be any different? You'll pay roughly the same rate of tax there, and by the time you've paid the £20k or so to move over there, that's a lot of earnings gone!

Also not sure why you're constantly stuck indoors because of the weather? What does it stop you doing? I'd say the -20 or daft humidity you could get in Canada would be much more likely to stop you being outside than a bit of rain! But then we're very outdoorsy, and do just as much here as when we were in Canada, my kids are always outside playing regardless of the weather so I can't really understand why the weather in the UK stops anybody doing anything outside - unless you're talking about sunbathing of course!

Maybe Oz would be a better choice for you, I've no idea on tax rates and outdoor lifestyle though, but hopefully those in the Oz forums will help you.

As we always say in the Canada forum, move for the love of a country, not the perceived negatives of the one you leave behind - as the same problems are usually everywhere.

Good luck deciding.
Old Oct 12th 2012, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It's a massive country...so what applies in one state or city might not in another...

Saying that, hardly ever see any scaffolding work done here, not like in the UK at least and then it's a matter of the unions.
Come to think of it, I can't recall the last time I saw scaffolding in the US, though I'm sure I have seen some.

Most construction being 2-3 stories, when work is above ground floor it is done from the inside or if thats not possible, workers use a cherry-picker / manlift / motorised platform.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.