Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Info on things to do when leaving the UK

Info on things to do when leaving the UK

Old Feb 14th 2011, 2:12 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 54
Gary Hipperson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Info on things to do when leaving the UK

Hey there everyone,

My Name is Gary, I have been married for 2 years to my lovely Wife who is an American citizen years and am in the process of obtaining a CR1 Visa. We have just payed the processing fee's to the NVC and are awaiting the next step. I have a couple of questions.

1, What will be the next things I can count on needing to do for the process,

2, When I finally am aloud to move over there, what steps will I have to take In England to let the government know I am leaving, I want to keep my Uk citizenship but for tax purposes and what not I am not sure what to do.

If anyone has any ion these questions, and anything else they think would be good please let me know.

Thanks

Gary
Gary Hipperson is offline  
Old Feb 14th 2011, 2:33 pm
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
andy1's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 167
andy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really nice
Default Re: Info on things to do when leaving the UK

I wouldnt imagine the Government give a xxxx if you leave or not ! just do us a favour and switch the lights off when you go .
andy1 is offline  
Old Feb 14th 2011, 2:45 pm
  #3  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Oakland County, Michigan
Posts: 846
NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Info on things to do when leaving the UK

When I left the UK I filed a request for a rebate since I hadn't worked a full year there and was eligible for some tax back. I put my US address on the form and since then I get letters to my new address so they obviously noted the change on the computer. I wouldn't bother doing anything more than that as long as you don't have any rental properties, savings, pensions income etc in the UK. If you have income in the UK then I believe you would need to file a UK tax return as well as a US one every year.
NatashaB is offline  
Old Feb 14th 2011, 2:51 pm
  #4  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 54
Gary Hipperson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Info on things to do when leaving the UK

Originally Posted by NatashaB View Post
When I left the UK I filed a request for a rebate since I hadn't worked a full year there and was eligible for some tax back. I put my US address on the form and since then I get letters to my new address so they obviously noted the change on the computer. I wouldn't bother doing anything more than that as long as you don't have any rental properties, savings, pensions income etc in the UK. If you have income in the UK then I believe you would need to file a UK tax return as well as a US one every year.
Thanks that is a good start, I will be working in the states and I do have a job in england that will obviously end when I leave England. Are you saying that when im living work over there, I will still have to pay UK Taxes?
Gary Hipperson is offline  
Old Feb 14th 2011, 2:55 pm
  #5  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Oakland County, Michigan
Posts: 846
NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Info on things to do when leaving the UK

Only if you have pension income or rental income (or any other kind of income in the UK). If you're not leaving any savings, property etc behind in the UK then you shouldn't need to pay UK taxes any more.

The first year you are here you will need to file a tax return in the US which also declares the UK income you've earnt in that tax year - but you shouldn't get taxed twice, you just need to declare it and the tax you've paid. Seems like most people pay a tax professional to deal with that first year tax return for them - we've been quoted from $250 to $500 for this.
NatashaB is offline  
Old Feb 14th 2011, 3:00 pm
  #6  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 54
Gary Hipperson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Info on things to do when leaving the UK

Originally Posted by NatashaB View Post
Only if you have pension income or rental income (or any other kind of income in the UK). If you're not leaving any savings, property etc behind in the UK then you shouldn't need to pay UK taxes any more.

The first year you are here you will need to file a tax return in the US which also declares the UK income you've earnt in that tax year - but you shouldn't get taxed twice, you just need to declare it and the tax you've paid. Seems like most people pay a tax professional to deal with that first year tax return for them - we've been quoted from $250 to $500 for this.
Thanks for that, my wife and I were just discussing about the tax process as she has just filed for last year, this clears it up abit!
Gary Hipperson is offline  
Old Feb 14th 2011, 5:27 pm
  #7  
Democracy advocate
 
Cape Blue's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 11,880
Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Info on things to do when leaving the UK

Complete a P85 form when you leave

If you have a property in the UK and intend to let it our, complete an NRL1 form.

Keep a UK bank account & credit card, many regret not doing so.
Cape Blue is offline  
Old Feb 14th 2011, 7:12 pm
  #8  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 54
Gary Hipperson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Info on things to do when leaving the UK

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
Complete a P85 form when you leave

If you have a property in the UK and intend to let it our, complete an NRL1 form.

Keep a UK bank account & credit card, many regret not doing so.
Thanks for the advice! I will do!
Gary Hipperson is offline  
Old Feb 14th 2011, 11:57 pm
  #9  
Bob
BE Site Lead
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 91,729
Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Info on things to do when leaving the UK

Apart from the P-85, there's bugger all you really need to do.

Handy to get a copy of your medical history from your doctor though, and perhaps copies of birth certs, that kind of stuff.
Bob is offline  
Old Feb 15th 2011, 8:03 am
  #10  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Bellevue WA
Posts: 64
fashionista will become famous soon enoughfashionista will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Info on things to do when leaving the UK

As others have mentioned - P85. Here is the link: http://search2.hmrc.gov.uk/kbroker/h...jsp?formId=766

Also - if you have a student loan, you need to contact the student loans company to agree repayments once you've left the UK. In my case I am able to take 12 months off from repayments (because I don't have a job lined up to go to) once my husband writes me a letter telling them that he will be supporting me for the first 12 months. After that, they have a sliding scale of repayments expected depending on how much you earn and where you're moving to.

You might also want to take a look at the terms and conditions on your UK bank accounts - some start to charge a monthly fee if you're not paying in a minimum amount each month.

Finally you might want to talk to an IFA about any savings and pensions. It might seem obvious (although it wasn't to me!) but you can't pay into an ISA when you're not paying tax in the UK. There are also limits on what you can pay into a UK pension (private not state) from overseas, so if you still want to maintain savings / pension payments over here, you might need some help planning the most tax efficient way to do that.

Good Luck!
fashionista is offline  
Old Feb 15th 2011, 11:39 am
  #11  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 54
Gary Hipperson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Info on things to do when leaving the UK

Originally Posted by fashionista View Post
As others have mentioned - P85. Here is the link: http://search2.hmrc.gov.uk/kbroker/h...jsp?formId=766

Also - if you have a student loan, you need to contact the student loans company to agree repayments once you've left the UK. In my case I am able to take 12 months off from repayments (because I don't have a job lined up to go to) once my husband writes me a letter telling them that he will be supporting me for the first 12 months. After that, they have a sliding scale of repayments expected depending on how much you earn and where you're moving to.

You might also want to take a look at the terms and conditions on your UK bank accounts - some start to charge a monthly fee if you're not paying in a minimum amount each month.

Finally you might want to talk to an IFA about any savings and pensions. It might seem obvious (although it wasn't to me!) but you can't pay into an ISA when you're not paying tax in the UK. There are also limits on what you can pay into a UK pension (private not state) from overseas, so if you still want to maintain savings / pension payments over here, you might need some help planning the most tax efficient way to do that.

Good Luck!
Thanks everyone, these posts are helping alot, Should I take myself off the electoral register as I dont want to be called for jury duty I know its a long shot but it could happen again, and its something you cant get out of! Any other advice would be great that you guys might think would be helpful.
Gary Hipperson is offline  
Old Feb 15th 2011, 2:03 pm
  #12  
BE Forum Addict
 
rpjs's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Sleepy Hollow, New York
Posts: 2,514
rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Info on things to do when leaving the UK

Originally Posted by Gary Hipperson View Post
Thanks everyone, these posts are helping alot, Should I take myself off the electoral register as I dont want to be called for jury duty I know its a long shot but it could happen again, and its something you cant get out of! Any other advice would be great that you guys might think would be helpful.
You're not, AFAIK, required to notify the Electoral Registration Officer that you've left the district, as your registration will automatically lapse at the end of the year when you fail to respond to the annual canvass. You can, however, apply to be registered as an overseas postal voter in the district you last lived in and will be entitled to vote in General Elections for the next 15 years.

If you should receive a jury duty summons, just respond to it that you're no longer resident.
rpjs is offline  
Old Feb 15th 2011, 7:44 pm
  #13  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 21
sean3636 has a brilliant futuresean3636 has a brilliant futuresean3636 has a brilliant futuresean3636 has a brilliant futuresean3636 has a brilliant futuresean3636 has a brilliant futuresean3636 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Info on things to do when leaving the UK

Originally Posted by Gary Hipperson View Post
Hey there everyone,

My Name is Gary, I have been married for 2 years to my lovely Wife who is an American citizen years and am in the process of obtaining a CR1 Visa. We have just payed the processing fee's to the NVC and are awaiting the next step. I have a couple of questions.

1, What will be the next things I can count on needing to do for the process,

2, When I finally am aloud to move over there, what steps will I have to take In England to let the government know I am leaving, I want to keep my Uk citizenship but for tax purposes and what not I am not sure what to do.

If anyone has any ion these questions, and anything else they think would be good please let me know.

Thanks

Gary
How long are you planning on staying in the US? If permanently then, I would get your US citizenship as soon as you are eligible. It may sound crazy but some people move from the UK to the US, go through the hassle of getting a green card, move back to the UK and realise then want to move back to the US and unless they have got special dispensation from the USCIS to keep permanent residency whilst out of the country, they have to start all over again with the green card. So get your US citizenship when you are eligible and you can come and go as you please...........oh and you can maintain dual nationality so you don't have to give up your british passport.
sean3636 is offline  
Old Feb 15th 2011, 8:33 pm
  #14  
Bob
BE Site Lead
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 91,729
Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Info on things to do when leaving the UK

Originally Posted by Gary Hipperson View Post
Thanks everyone, these posts are helping alot, Should I take myself off the electoral register as I dont want to be called for jury duty I know its a long shot but it could happen again, and its something you cant get out of! Any other advice would be great that you guys might think would be helpful.
Postal vote was mentioned, but what's more useful, setting up a vote by proxy if you have someone you trust, a parent or so.

Often what'll happen if you do a overseas postal vote, you'd get the ballot sent to you to late for you to return it in time for it to be counted, unless you spend a fortune Fedex'ing it on a overnight shipping.
Bob is offline  
Old Feb 18th 2011, 3:22 pm
  #15  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 11
1uella is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Info on things to do when leaving the UK

This may come in useful for you: http://www.iammoving.com/
1uella is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.