Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

info required on moving to states

info required on moving to states

Old Dec 22nd 2002, 9:14 pm
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute
Question info required on moving to states

hi

im kinda new to the idea of moving to usa, basicaly me and me wife are living in uk, married for 3 years, so we have her family in usa, what sort of timescale would we be loking at for me to get a residency (whatever its called) visa, and generaly how does the procidure go? - had a look over the american immigration web page only to find so much conflicting information (or maybe its just the way i read it?) - thanks for any help you can give

Anthony
Old Dec 28th 2002, 9:39 pm
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute
Red face

thanks for your no help guys!!
Old Dec 28th 2002, 11:45 pm
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough

Wow, if you're this impatient waiting all of 30mins for someone to come and take the time to reply, you're going to have a hell of a field day waiting with the INS.

All urges to help people out dissapear when they act like an ass, but I'll bite the bit, and tell you that it will take 3 - 6 months or so if your wife files at the London consular office.
Old Dec 29th 2002, 1:10 am
Deborah

Ummmm... you might want to check the dates there... it was 6 DAYS, not 30 minutes...

Originally posted by nathan barley
Wow, if you're this impatient waiting all of 30mins for someone to come and take the time to reply, you're going to have a hell of a field day waiting with the INS.

All urges to help people out dissapear when they act like an ass, but I'll bite the bit, and tell you that it will take 3 - 6 months or so if your wife files at the London consular office.

Old Dec 29th 2002, 3:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

You may find that for many of us we can't answer your questions because we are here temporarily on employer sponsored visas. However, if it would make you feel more loved I can make something up.
Old Dec 29th 2002, 1:14 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Antjen, try the other British site called www.british-expats.com

There are a few brits on there that are married to americans with family in both the US and the UK. Ameriscot might be able to help you.
Old Dec 29th 2002, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

steve771177 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A 'new' Visa....this should help!!!!

Hi Antjen,

I found this info on a web site page ( http://www.h1base.com/page.asp?id=60 ) that should help you out......there's more there to read, but I didn't want to copy and pasted it all on this page.......so here's a summary......

1)The 'New' K Visa
The reason for the new K visa is to help reunite families that have been or could be separated for a long period of time during the process of immigrating to the USA. This new visa allows K visa holders to wait in the US for this process to be completed.

The new additions to the K category are intended for use by both a spouse of a US citizen and by the spouse's children. For the spouse, the new visa will be called a K3 visa and for the spouse’s children will be called a K-4 visa.

Marriage to a United States citizen qualifies one for a green card. If the marriage occurs abroad, the green card petition must be filed through a U.S. Consulate with jurisdiction over the applicants place of residence.

The procedures usually take between six to nine months to complete.

Good luck
Steve
Old Dec 29th 2002, 4:16 pm
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Deborah
Ummmm... you might want to check the dates there... it was 6 DAYS, not 30 minutes...
Wow, alcohol just makes the days fly by! That, or selective blindness so I only saw the time :P
Old Jan 1st 2003, 9:45 pm
Just me!

Smile

Thanks for all you help!! - sorry if i came across as a bit inpatient!!

Ant
Old Jan 3rd 2003, 2:22 am
Forum Regular

Jo Brayne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default DCF

Direct Consular Filing

Can only be done if the applicant, i.e.the person petitioning the immigrant for a visa, is resident in the country of that consulate.

So, for example, I can use DCF thru London because I am resident in the UK at the time of filing and can prove it through mortgage statements etc. If I (the American) could prove I was permanent resident in France, it would be the US Consulate in Paris etc. It doesnt matter what the nationality or place of residence of the person being petitioned is, they will have to appear at YOUR local US consulate for interview.