Reload this Page >

Info required on Driving license for TX on B1 in lieu of H1

Info required on Driving license for TX on B1 in lieu of H1

Old Mar 20th 2012, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

Emmas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Info required on Driving license for TX on B1 in lieu of H1

Hi,

My husband is currently in the process of applying for this visa; B1 in lieu of H1. We are going down to the Embassy 28th March, and we are due to fly out end of April.

We asked our attorney about driving licenses, but she didn't really seem to know much and just put us onto the TXDPS website... and I will admit to still not getting very far with it! I see there is a temp visitor license that can be issued, do we just go for that?

Also, I don't know if this complicates things or not... but I was working on a L visa in 2008/09 for 6 months, and was issued with a SSN at the time, but it is in my maiden name. Can I still use this number when I go back? (I'm assuming I will have to go to a SSN office and show them my marriage cert to get it amended to my married name?) We are both from the UK.

Em
Old Mar 20th 2012, 2:09 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Info required on Driving license for TX on B1 in lieu of H1

Originally Posted by Emmas
I see there is a temp visitor license that can be issued, do we just go for that?
Can't you just use your UK licenses for the duration... since a B-1, even if it's in lieu of an H-1B, is still just a B-1.

Can I still use this number when I go back?
Yes - the number is yours for life, and is valid for life.

I'm assuming I will have to go to a SSN office and show them my marriage cert to get it amended to my married name?
You can if you want but you're not required to do so. Your unmarried name is always your legal name even if you've assumed the name of your husband.

Ian
Old Mar 20th 2012, 2:12 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in Texas on an L1 visa, and this is what I remember from the driving license stand point:

You need a SSN to get a driving license (I think you can get a SSN that means youn can't work but can get a license, but it's complicated. Complicated = bad at the DMV).
The DMV will decide what license you need. You just show up (with your passport with the visa, your SSN, the vehicle title and your insurance, I think). I have a Temporary Visitor license. The license itself expires on my 38th birthday in 2017 (I got in in 2011) but there is lots of red text to make it clear my visa status expires in 2013. It is also a portrait orientation, as opposed to the normal TX license which is in landscape.

You have 30 or 90 days in order to get your license, from when you establish residence. I could never work out which it was. The relocation company working with us was sure it was 90, but the way I read the DMV site made me think 30. We took our theory test about 45 days after getting a lease on a place. That is what I took to mean as establishing residence.

As to the bit about changing your SSN name, I don't honestly know.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 2:20 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

I know nothing about visas (except ours ) but I do know about driving in Texas.

You can drive on your UK license for the first 90 days. After that you are required to get a Texas Drivers License. To get this, you can go to any drivers license office in Texas and sit a written exam, take an eye test and do a road test. You need to have your SSN (or an authorized declaration that you aren't entitled to one), proof of financial viability (a letter from employer or OHs employer), proof of ownership and insurance for car, passport and visa. I think I needed my marriage certificate as well to go along with the financial viability letter.
Then you get a shiney new license with a big red temporary visitor stamp across it.

Oh, bugger I've just typed all this and Mr Weeze has gone and replied. He'd better be my actual OH or I am creeped out.
Anyway, welcome to Texas! Don't worry about the tornadoes, I'm sure they'll be gone by the time you get here
Old Mar 20th 2012, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you all for your replies... much appreciated!

Mr & Mrs Weeze, haha that

Yeah, maybe I should worry more about the weather than the license huh?!

Ok, my driving plan is to get living arrnagements sorted first, then get myself down to a DMV office with all the paperwork they could possibly want
Old Mar 20th 2012, 2:31 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and you can get the drivers handbook at any office which is what you need to read before you take your theory test. I wouldn't recommend taking it without reading the book as although it's multi choice, most of the questions are about fines for under 21s.
Country offices have smaller queues than city offices.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that... I will avoid the Central offices.

Yes, I will def be getting the book... imagine not passing, after everyone says how easy it is to pass!
Old Mar 20th 2012, 2:53 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

I am Weeze's OH, just to avoid freaking her out. And I also know someone who failed - they hit the post doing the reverse park. He couldn't quite believe he had failed!
Old Mar 20th 2012, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

My husband is currently in the process of applying for this visa; B1 in lieu of H1. We are going down to the Embassy 28th March, and we are due to fly out end of April.

We asked our attorney about driving licenses, but she didn't really seem to know much and just put us onto the TXDPS website... and I will admit to still not getting very far with it! I see there is a temp visitor license that can be issued, do we just go for that?

Also, I don't know if this complicates things or not... but I was working on a L visa in 2008/09 for 6 months, and was issued with a SSN at the time, but it is in my maiden name. Can I still use this number when I go back? (I'm assuming I will have to go to a SSN office and show them my marriage cert to get it amended to my married name?) We are both from the UK.

Em
B-1 in lieu of H-1B is on page 9 of this DPS document http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/DriverL...tatusChart.pdf
The license will be issued to expire on the date of the I-94.

Further discussion of temporary visitors is here http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/DriverL...StatusDLID.htm

Parallel parking--Make a poor attempt if you can't do it and just lose points. Hit the pole and it's a fail. Use turn signal before starting and when exiting, even though you're just in their back car park and not actually on a street.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

AddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura about

The "B1 in lieu of H1" is a nightmare as far as I am concerned.

We moved to NM on that Visa in 2002 and the London US Embassy had issued it for 1 year. On entry we got stopped and they downgraded it to 6m for my wife, and the end of school year for my kids. I managed to get mine validated through to the end of my contract. So 3 different exit dates, which meant my wife and kids ended up overstaying their Visas - BAD IDEA.

That Visa does not allow you to get a SSN number or a US (NM) driving licence.
So expect very high insurance premiums and a bunch of other issues whilst living in the US.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

You have to hae a certain amount of months left on your visa/I94 to get a temp. visitors license in TX. Can't remember if it's 3 or 6 months though.
I nearly came a cropper with this when I went there to change my address while still on my H4 and they treated it as a new application (because they are morons) and was tols I was only just within the time limit on my status to get it!
Read the rules very carefully, make sure you know what they should accept and be prepared to argue your case if necessary.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Em
I got a SSN when I was a student in Michigan in 1994 and when I moved back to the US (Indiana) in 2009 I was told (by the SSA) I could not change my name on my Social Security Card because I had no legal need to as I could not work as I was on a H4 visa. I showed my passport, H4 visa and marriage cert but I was told if I wanted an Indiana drivers licence I needed to get a letter from the SSA telling me I was not entitled to a SSN, even though I do actually have one! I was told the name on your social security card needs to match your primary ID ie passport. It may be different in Texas but that is what I was told in Indiana. I also tried my luck in South Carolina when we moved and I went to the SSA here but was told no. I have to wait until I either get a H1 visa of my own or get a green card before I can change my name on my social security card.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info - all helpful

Well, we have our apps next week on Wednesday so

Our attorney told us they are applying for 12 months, so am prepared to take documents with us on flight over, as I'm assuming we will be questioned (letter from employer / copy of contract) Fingers crossed for same amount of time for the both of us, and for as long as possible.

I'll be glad when it's this time next week, and we know we have those visas

SSN, driving... and these are only 2 of the issues I will have! Prepare for the worst, and hope for the best...

Em x
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

AddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the info - all helpful

Our attorney told us they are applying for 12 months, so am prepared to take documents with us on flight over, as I'm assuming we will be questioned (letter from employer / copy of contract) Fingers crossed for same amount of time for the both of us, and for as long as possible.

Em x
Yes, it's not the London Embassy you have to worry about. Our visas were all issued for 1 year. But on arrival at Denver airport we all got stopped and the passport guy said to me 'I don't agree with what my Embassy has issued. A B1 is for 6m only'.

I travelled out before my wife and kids. I got sent off for extra processing, but eventually my contract with the large National Lab swung it for me. My wife arrived a few days later, two kids practically asleep at her feet. Didn't have the energy to argue with them and so we ended up in a big mess. The delay meant she missed the connecting flight to NM, so she ended up in some random hotel for a night.

This is not the immigration section of the forum, but I would be seriously worried about trying to get a 1 year stay out of a B1 in Lieu of H1. Perhaps people on the other forum section have had a better experience?

All the best!
Old Apr 19th 2012, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

Thought i would update you all... I always find it interesting to read others people's visa process, so here's mine

I am biased of course.... but;

Rejected visas!

Embassy; We went to the window, and we were there for maybe 4-5 minutes. He asked My hubby 2 questions "whats your job doing" "what are your specific duties" he asked me "why are you going" - he didn't look at any of our supporting documents/evidence that we were told to take.

It was like he had rejected the visa's before we even arrived we were devastated.

Letter said it was rejected for 2 reasons 1) lack of ties to the UK (but he never asked us anything!, and we had all our evidence with us!!) 2) visa didn't tie in with job (again he didn't see enough or ask anything to know).

AFTER he rejected us, the guy had a real bee in his bonnet with the fact that I was going with my husband. He said "why are you taking your wife it's a business trip" hubby replied, "it could be for up to 12 months, we are a family, we don't want to be apart" guy replied with "that's just business"

NICE! Aweful experience. We have been before, so we knew what to expect and how serious it all is, but this was over the top.

*Rant over*

What do you all think?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.