Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Info re: renewing expired UK passport

Info re: renewing expired UK passport

Old Jan 17th 2014, 9:25 am
Just Joined

gehrett is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Info re: renewing expired UK passport

I have lived full-time in the US since 2004. I haven't felt the need to renew my UK passport (It expired in 2004.) as I also have a US passport. However, as my father (who lives in the UK) is getting older, I recently decided to renew my UK passport just in case I need to stay here for longer periods of time. I'm currently in the UK until March and decided to do it here to save money. I filled out the application as if it was a renewal. Today I received a letter from the Passport Office and despite doing the check and send at the post office, they are treating it like a new passport as (according to them) "their computer systems are outdated and don't have all the information I submitted when I originally got my passport".

I just wanted to make people aware of this if they ever want to renew a passport that expired some time ago.

Regards,

G
Old Jan 17th 2014, 11:20 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Info re: renewing expired UK passport

That's interesting/useful...thanks. I'm about to start the same process for exactly the same reasons, and about the same time interval!
Old Jan 17th 2014, 12:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gehrett View Post
I have lived full-time in the US since 2004. I haven't felt the need to renew my UK passport (It expired in 2004.) as I also have a US passport. However, as my father (who lives in the UK) is getting older, I recently decided to renew my UK passport just in case I need to stay here for longer periods of time. I'm currently in the UK until March and decided to do it here to save money. I filled out the application as if it was a renewal. Today I received a letter from the Passport Office and despite doing the check and send at the post office, they are treating it like a new passport as (according to them) "their computer systems are outdated and don't have all the information I submitted when I originally got my passport".

I just wanted to make people aware of this if they ever want to renew a passport that expired some time ago.

Regards,

G
Welcome to BE.

It has been mentioned many times on the forums that if your UK PP expired approx 10 years ago...it is treated like a first time application...therefore you have to submit all the documentation.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

gehrett is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, jerseygirl. I'm just glad I brought my birth certificate to the UK with me! Fortunately, they're going to use the fee I already paid. That's a little bit of a relief.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 4:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

10 years, always been that way. Older than that and it's treated as a new, first time passport. Just like if your previous passport was as a kid.