Reload this Page >

Info on moving to Houston

Info on moving to Houston

Old Jan 6th 2012, 10:46 am
Just Joined

boomy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Info on moving to Houston

Hi Folks

I am planning a move to Houston with my wife and son. We love Houston and have decided to find work out there as soon as possible.

We currently live in Australia working as a mine geologist. Before i forget, are there jobs for geologists in Houston? I have only worked in hard-rock geology and mainly in Australia.

Regarding our status, i won the DV lottery green card visa and we were in Houston for 3 weeks in September, 2011 to activate the GC. We are back in Australia and have received the GC and SSN now, which was posted by mail to us by my friend whose address i had used for the process in the states.

I am confused because it is quite booming in the mining industries here in Australia, however, i do not want to loose the GC. We left Houston in September, 2011 and its been few months already and might be asked questions at the POE. We are tidying things up here before the final move. Do any one think its going to be a great move to Houston?

Any info and advise on jobs, living standard etc will be appreciated keeping in mind that i live in Australia at the moment.

Thanks
Old Jan 6th 2012, 11:57 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Info on moving to Houston

Originally Posted by boomy
Before i forget, are there jobs for geologists in Houston?
There are jobs for geologists in Houston... but there are more openings in the Permian Basin - a bit farther to the west... Midland/Odessa area.

Do any one think its going to be a great move to Houston?
Houston is a great place to live.

Any info and advise on jobs, living standard etc will be appreciated...
Check out http://www.city-data.com/.

Ian
Old Jan 7th 2012, 7:22 pm
Just Joined

London2Texas is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi..

I am a geologist and I live in Houston - moved here from London a few years ago. Most of the geo work here is focused on the oil industry.. as you might expect. In fact, this is overwhelmingly the case. I don't know any mining geologists here.

In all honesty, Houston is a bit of a sh1t hole. It is kind of ugly and bleak and is dominated by cars and freeways. Having said that, it has all the amenities you would expect for the 4th biggest city in the USA - it is functional, and an "easy" place to live. Summer weather is brutal, the humidity is a killer, and it lasts about 5 months May - Sept. But coming from Oz, this may be par for the course!

Houston is regarded as an affordable place to live. It is certainly a lot cheaper that London. It is also a lot cheaper than Perth (only place in Oz I can reference). There is no state income tax, and housing costs are low. You probably want to rent accommodation while you get a feel for the city and where you want to put down roots. If you are a young couple I recommend living inside the 610 Loop. If you are less concerned with a social scene, then Katy and Sugarland are popular. Ultimately you will definitely want to scope out schools with resepct to where you live as their quality is highly variable.

I would say your main concern is work. I really don't see Houston as a mecca for mining geology. It is an oil town. I would research/consider this very carefully before you move from where you are.

Good luck.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

redglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by London2Texas
Hi..

In all honesty, Houston is a bit of a sh1t hole. It is kind of ugly and bleak and is dominated by cars and freeways. Having said that, it has all the amenities you would expect for the 4th biggest city in the USA - it is functional, and an "easy" place to live. Summer weather is brutal, the humidity is a killer, and it lasts about 5 months May - Sept. But coming from Oz, this may be par for the course!

Houston is regarded as an affordable place to live. It is certainly a lot cheaper that London. It is also a lot cheaper than Perth (only place in Oz I can reference). There is no state income tax, and housing costs are low. You probably want to rent accommodation while you get a feel for the city and where you want to put down roots. If you are a young couple I recommend living inside the 610 Loop. If you are less concerned with a social scene, then Katy and Sugarland are popular. Ultimately you will definitely want to scope out schools with resepct to where you live as their quality is highly variable.

Good luck.
The thing about Houston is that if you decide you want to - you can have a very nice life here. The population is far more diverse, well traveled and educated than reading the local rag would lead you to believe. Whatever your thing, there will be a niche for you here. On the other hand if you decide to be miserable - Houston can accommodate that very nicely too. London2Texas is correct - Houston is a concrete jungle, but if I spend an hour or so in a kayak on the bayou...it's easy to forget that.

And yeah - Houston is all about oil and gas. I have a friend who was a geologist - she applies her skills to environmental management now.