Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Info on LA required

Info on LA required

Old Apr 12th 2019, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

julymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Info on LA required

Originally Posted by julymermaid

well rhe OP mentioned that they may prefer not being in the heart of the city and are looking for suitable places from where they can commute - if their workplace is closer to south L.A., Irvine is really a nice place to be based out of - the rest is technicalities which are frankly not the point if this at all.
ignore typos please ... replying on the phone 😄
Old Apr 12th 2019, 11:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julymermaid
the rest is technicalities which are frankly not the point if this at all.
Please don't take offense, I had no intention of doing that.
Ok.

Last edited by Hotscot; Apr 12th 2019 at 11:25 pm.
Old Apr 12th 2019, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

julymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Please don't take offense, I had no intention of doing that, but for some of us accurate information very much is the point...
And yes, that's why I suggested Irvine at the start as I know the area well...but they've already indicated that it's too far. The office is Downtown LA.
None taken
Old Apr 15th 2019, 2:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Ahem...Irvine's not in Los Angeles at all. ….
Like most large US cities, and not unlike London*, the municipality of Los Angeles is actually not that large, but is surrounded by a seamless patchwork of cities and towns, some of which are tiny, literally no more than a few blocks in either direction. I would guess that "Los Angeles" from a geographer's perspective actually comprises at least a couple of dozen autonomous municipalities. Hence the need earlier in this thread to clarify that the OP actually meant when he said he would be "working in Los Angeles".

* Of course almost none of "London" is actually London, with the core being almost entirely the City of Westminster, and the City of London only being one square mile.
Old Apr 15th 2019, 2:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

They're quite possessive of their counties here.
Orange County abuts Los Angeles County.

When you drive South through Los Angeles County it's pretty much a crowded industrial dump.
It's like night and day when you drive into the manicured freeways of Orange County, where Irvine is located.

Night and day...
Old Apr 15th 2019, 2:45 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

When you drive South through Los Angeles County it's pretty much a crowded industrial dump.
It's like night and day when you drive into the manicured freeways of Orange County, where Irvine is located.

Night and day...
Same as other cities/ counties too, such as NYC, The Bronx v Bronxville (the two adjoin but are in different counties), one is an armpit, the other I couldn't afford to live there even if I wanted to! There are similar county line issues in and around Charlotte, NC too.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 15th 2019 at 3:42 pm.
Old Apr 15th 2019, 3:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Well I have to confess, I've never really known what "LA" really means, technically, so I decided to look it up. First off, 'LA' could mean LA city or LA county - vastly different beasts. And LA (city of) is a weird physical location, with holes poked in it such that there are localities 'inside' the boundaries, like Beverly Hills. This map shows LA city in all its intricacy https://www.zeemaps.com/world-of-maps/map-of-la/

Note how the cities of Beverly Hills and Santa Monica are not part of the city. Looks like San Fernando at the northern edge is also not part of the city. Then there's that whole weird panhandle thing going on at the bottom!

And this is "LA County" - https://pasarelapr.com/detail/la-cou...ne-map-18.html

I had no idea that the inland areas of Lancaster and Palmdale were part of LA County!

So it would appear that I could say quite accurately that "Pasadena is part of LA" ... or not ... depending on whether I'm talking LA city or LA county.

I'll be driving through LA tonight so I'll now be more educated about where I am

Old Apr 15th 2019, 3:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm in LA.
County

Orange County this summer.
Old Apr 15th 2019, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by Steerpike
.... And LA (city of) is a weird physical location, with holes poked in it such that there are localities 'inside' the boundaries, ….
They're called "donut holes" and are a political minefield all of their own. They might be rich neighborhoods that want to exclude themselves from integrating (especially schools) with nearby neighborhoods, or conversely they may be poor neighborhoods that the city doesn't want to extend services to because they wouldn't contribute enough tax revenue. For example laying public water lines and sewers in established communities is massively expensive, so cities will run watermains and sewers to areas earmarked for development (which leads to those peculiar annexed roads alongside unannexed land that the roads adjoin and serve but bypass), then installing the utilities in new developments are paid for by the developers and passed on to buyers of homes and commercial buildings, but established, poorer communities are bypassed and become donut holes.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 15th 2019 at 4:04 pm.
Old Apr 15th 2019, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

Night and day...
With Cities called Commerce and the City of Industry, it ain't gonna be pretty!!
Old Apr 15th 2019, 3:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Old Apr 15th 2019, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
They're called "donut holes" and are a political minefield all of their own. They might be rich neighborhoods that want to exclude themselves from integrating (especially schools) with nearby neighborhoods, or conversely they may be poor neighborhoods that the city doesn't want to extend services to because they wouldn't contribute enough tax revenue. For example laying public water lines and sewers in established communities is massively expensive, so cities will run watermains and sewers to areas earmarked for development, then installing the utilities in new developments are paid for by the developers and passed on to buyers of homes and commercial buildings, but established, poorer communities are bypassed and become donut holes.
Incorporated Cities make the whole experience fun!! Marina Del Rey (Los Angeles) stuck between Santa Monica and El Segundo (Incorporated Cities) Always good to see the nasty beat up old Black and White cop cars in the Marina, yet brand new Explorers in SM and El Segundo!! Who says this country is messed up.................................
Old Apr 15th 2019, 4:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Takes 25 mins minimum for cops to get here.
Hence my Mrs H's armory.
She's quite fashionable. Green and silver hair.
Pink and teal holsters..

www.selenegracesilver.com

Last edited by Hotscot; Apr 15th 2019 at 4:17 pm.
Old Apr 17th 2019, 6:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asternak
40000-60000 dollars per month or per year?
Could you possibly quote the post you are referring to, to provide context?
Old Apr 18th 2019, 11:56 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Could you possibly quote the post you are referring to, to provide context?
Likely the opening post:

I have recently accepted an offer at our US business and have applied for an L1 visa - expecting a decision following the RFE response any day now. I am praying this goes through smoothly and if so, I’m expecting to be moving out to Los Angeles in early May. The package is $120k plus performance related bonus, as well as $15k relocation.

I’ll be moving out with my girlfriend (to be wife if visa goes through) who we expect to earn in the region of $40-$60,000 but only once EAD is sorted, so aren’t relying on her salary, certainly not in the early stages.
Clearly it will be per annum.

To the OP - Santa Monica, Venice, Marina del Rey, El Segundo, Manhattan Beach - if you're moving to SoCal then live the beach life!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.