Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Info on LA required

Info on LA required

Old Apr 11th 2019, 4:31 am
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Info on LA required

Los Angeles: traffic hell, worst in the entire country! Try using google maps traffic predictor to check out the various commute times from some of the places mentioned in this thread to your office at rush hour (6 - 9,30 am - 3:30 - 7pm) so you can get a real idea of what kind of commuting hell we're talking about. It once took me 1.5 hours in an uber from Westfield Century City to the Union train station (12 miles). I made my train by seconds.

Like most US downtowns, LA is not particularly vibrant at night or the weekend when all the workers are not around. I'd personally look further afield for a place to live. There is a massive homeless issue in Downtown LA (again, worst in the country) and it is very, very confronting to we foreigners who are not used to seeing such misery and tragedy every day on a massive scale except in war torn nations on TV. I do believe that there has been a huge effort to make it safer though and the few times I've been there at night, I have not felt particularly unsafe.

I'd look into Culver City, Santa Monica, Marina Del Ray, West Hollywood, West Los Angeles, Los Feliz and Silver Lake (none will be cheap, WeHo and Santa Monica are $$$$$, and MDR and Culver City can also be pricey. Los Feliz and Silver Lake still have some real grit to them but are quite hipster and popular with the Millennials so you'll fit right it ).

Best advice I can give is that you perhaps rent an airbnb or serviced apartment (Marriot Residence, Extended Stay America etc) downtown for the first few weeks and visit other parts of the city to find out what place feels right and how the commute is going to feel. Leases are signed for one year and are usually impossible to end early without a massive penalty so you don't want to sign onto something in a crappy area and be stuck there for a year.

You really need to think about LA as a series of small cities: each place has its own particular vibe, people, pros and cons and there are still many parts of it that you do not really ever want to find yourself in by accident (general rule: if all the windows and doors on every single house have metal bars on them you're in the wrong part of town).

Anyway congrats, you're young and adaptable and will take it all in your stride I am sure. Your salary + your GF's eventual salary is substantial enough for a young couple with no kids. Grab the opportunity with both hands!
Old Apr 11th 2019, 5:36 am
Just Joined

JerseyRoyal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sherbert
Los Angeles: traffic hell, worst in the entire country! Try using google maps traffic predictor to check out the various commute times from some of the places mentioned in this thread to your office at rush hour (6 - 9,30 am - 3:30 - 7pm) so you can get a real idea of what kind of commuting hell we're talking about. It once took me 1.5 hours in an uber from Westfield Century City to the Union train station (12 miles). I made my train by seconds.

Like most US downtowns, LA is not particularly vibrant at night or the weekend when all the workers are not around. I'd personally look further afield for a place to live. There is a massive homeless issue in Downtown LA (again, worst in the country) and it is very, very confronting to we foreigners who are not used to seeing such misery and tragedy every day on a massive scale except in war torn nations on TV. I do believe that there has been a huge effort to make it safer though and the few times I've been there at night, I have not felt particularly unsafe.

I'd look into Culver City, Santa Monica, Marina Del Ray, West Hollywood, West Los Angeles, Los Feliz and Silver Lake (none will be cheap, WeHo and Santa Monica are $$$$$, and MDR and Culver City can also be pricey. Los Feliz and Silver Lake still have some real grit to them but are quite hipster and popular with the Millennials so you'll fit right it ).

Best advice I can give is that you perhaps rent an airbnb or serviced apartment (Marriot Residence, Extended Stay America etc) downtown for the first few weeks and visit other parts of the city to find out what place feels right and how the commute is going to feel. Leases are signed for one year and are usually impossible to end early without a massive penalty so you don't want to sign onto something in a crappy area and be stuck there for a year.

You really need to think about LA as a series of small cities: each place has its own particular vibe, people, pros and cons and there are still many parts of it that you do not really ever want to find yourself in by accident (general rule: if all the windows and doors on every single house have metal bars on them you're in the wrong part of town).

Anyway congrats, you're young and adaptable and will take it all in your stride I am sure. Your salary + your GF's eventual salary is substantial enough for a young couple with no kids. Grab the opportunity with both hands!
Amazing, thank you so much. Sounds like really good advice.

I’ll look into the areas you mentioned. Santa Monica is the most attractive to us at this point (shock!) but of course we’ll need to make sure we don’t stretch too far. I’ve read good things online about the recently upgraded Expo line from Santa Monica to DTLA, does anyone know if it’s plausible to use it for a commute or best avoided? Google Maps is estimating one hour door to door at peak time, which sounds very good.

Of course, none of this matters until the visa is hopefully sorted.
Old Apr 11th 2019, 2:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

And O.C?
Or is that too much commute wise?

Santa Monica? Sidewalk tent cities, people living in cars outside your apartment, lots of poop on the streets.
Manageable if you have $$$.
Tough on your proposed package.
Old Apr 11th 2019, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Welcome to BE!
I lived in Marina Del Rey for close to 3 years and loved it! But with that love comes expense! Apartment rental prices are eye watering! (Santa Monica is similar)! It is expensive to live, but if get a salary or 2 that gives you the ability to live there go for it!!
I used the Expo line a few times to go to the Hockey at the Staples Center, and Its fine, as a commutable option, I guess so but it seems to be more for the tourists.
I hated Downtown, when we moved to LA i did the touristy things. went to Lemmys bar on Sunset, did the walk of fame (shame) my opinion of the place was a sh!thole lol

Living on the coast was fantastic, the weather was wonderful, but honestly you will need good salaries to make it work.

I commuted to work, and yes you may be used to commuting in UK, but the traffic in LA is hell on earth, you do not say how far you are driving, you say how long lol

Negotiate good salaries and go for it!!

I
Old Apr 11th 2019, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Hotscot
And O.C?
Or is that too much commute wise?

Santa Monica? Sidewalk tent cities, people living in cars outside your apartment, lots of poop on the streets.
Manageable if you have $$$.
Tough on your proposed package.
Orange County looks stunning online but probably a bit far away from everything we’d like to do. Initially I suspect we’d be like tourists and it would be good to be near all that cliche stuff at first. Noted on Santa Monica, thanks.
Old Apr 11th 2019, 3:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Understood. If it was me I'd rent close to work. If you like live music there's always tons of concerts in the area.
Hollywood Bowl, Greek Theater, Wiltern, Mayan...
And many UK artists that would normally play stadiums come over and play much smaller venues.

And you could always move later.
Old Apr 11th 2019, 3:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dj6372
Hey Welcome to BE!
I lived in Marina Del Rey for close to 3 years and loved it! But with that love comes expense! Apartment rental prices are eye watering! (Santa Monica is similar)! It is expensive to live, but if get a salary or 2 that gives you the ability to live there go for it!!
I used the Expo line a few times to go to the Hockey at the Staples Center, and Its fine, as a commutable option, I guess so but it seems to be more for the tourists.
I hated Downtown, when we moved to LA i did the touristy things. went to Lemmys bar on Sunset, did the walk of fame (shame) my opinion of the place was a sh!thole lol

Living on the coast was fantastic, the weather was wonderful, but honestly you will need good salaries to make it work.

I commuted to work, and yes you may be used to commuting in UK, but the traffic in LA is hell on earth, you do not say how far you are driving, you say how long lol

Negotiate good salaries and go for it!!

I
Thanks for the advice and for the welcome.

If we get good news on the visa I suspect we’ll get a temporary set up as suggested above and then check out the areas you guys mentioned.

Initially we will be relying on my salary and some additional UK income whilst other half’s EAD is sorted. Living somewhere on the coast is certainly the aim, but sounds as though it could be wise to work up to it once we’re both up and running.
Old Apr 11th 2019, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

Understood. If it was me I'd rent close to work. If you like live music there's always tons of concerts in the area.
Hollywood Bowl, Greek Theater, Wiltern, Mayan...
And many UK artists that would normally play stadiums come over and play much smaller venues.

And you could always move later.
Sound advice I think, thank you. I was typing another response as you did and agree it may be best to work up to the coast once we know where we’re at/both working.

Appreciate everyone’s help!
Old Apr 11th 2019, 3:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Coast?
Hopefully you'll double your incomes...
And enjoy shoe box life.
Old Apr 11th 2019, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

Part of my reply seems to have disappeared...............

Anyway what my final sentence was going to say was.....................

My wife and I enjoyed our time there, we had a nice standard of living, ate out once a week, 2 cars, had some great vacations, but we earned between us easily into 3 figures, and I don't mean $100k, can it be done cheaper, hell yes, but would I want to ............................nope!!
Old Apr 11th 2019, 10:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I think someone else here mentioned Pasadena already. It's my favorite place in the LA area, and I stay there every month or so and love going out on the main street (Colorado). When I say favorite, I guess I like places like Santa Monica, Venice, etc also, but they are just too pricey and harder for me to get to. Pasadena has a vibrant downtown and lots of professionals (close to Jet Propulsion labs, etc). It's also on the metro. It's perfect for me as it sits on I-210, which links I-10 to I-5. The topography is great around there - lots of hills. Great weather ... but I like it hot!
Old Apr 12th 2019, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

julymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond repute

I can recommend Westlake Village unreservedly if you're in the northern side of downtown LA in terms of work. ten minutes from Malibu and its pristine beaches and vineyards.... Great restaurants, clean, lovely lake and hills, gorgeous cafes ... but the downside is the Stepford wives culture. We picked it because I felt safe (r) compared to the downtown LA here and the schools in general were better than most other parts of downtown LA towards North. I appreciate schools aren't a criteria for you but definitely worth a look. Westlake can get expensive but neighbouring Thousand Oaks is lovely as well. I'd avoid Calabasas next door to Westlake Village though as its very 'lifestyles of the rich and famous' and not in a good way. LA is much less a city and more of multiple towns loosely sewn together - each with ts own culture and vibe. On the southern side of the town I think Irvine is a great place to be - diverse, vibrant and culturally quite fascinating.

If you can afford it, hands down Santa Monica is the best place to be in LA .... love the vibe there and not to mention, it tends to be cooler than the scorching valleys - which will be a big deal to you once the summers hit and your favourite past time is looking for shade!

Good Luck on your adventure and move ... I hope you enjoy your time here !
Old Apr 12th 2019, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Just got back from a couple of weeks with our daughter. She used to rent a place in downtown Santa Monica close to the beach but decided to buy a house and last year bought a place in West Mid City, LA. Really impressed where she lives, lovely neighborhood, very walkable and a 10 minute walk from the light railroad. Easy commute to Santa Monica and up to USC. To get to central LA, Union Station, was an easy change.

Our daughter works somewhere where between Mid City and Santa Monica, 10 minute walk, 10 minutes on the train and 5 minutes walk to work.
Old Apr 12th 2019, 10:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ahem...Irvine's not in Los Angeles at all...
Old Apr 12th 2019, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

julymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond repute

Ahem...Irvine's not in Los Angeles at all...
well rhe OP mentioned that they may prefer not being in the heart of the city and are looking for suitable places from where they can commute - if their workplace is closer to south L.A., Irvine is really a nice place to be based out of - the rest is technicalities which are frankly not the point if this at all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.