Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

info on injections for immigration please.

info on injections for immigration please.

Old Dec 22nd 2002, 11:30 pm
Just Joined

britci is an unknown quantity at this point
Default info on injections for immigration please.

Hi all,Ive been to my family doctor and explained my circumstances...they say i dont need mmr injection,yet it states i have to have it on injection list...the docs here say its for kids only...any ideas apreciated...MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL....
Old Dec 25th 2002, 3:59 am
Just Joined

lynne_martin0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry JABS JABS and more JABS

You will need to prove through documented evidence that you are immune by titre (which means having a blood test ) to prove you are immune. Or, you will have to have the MMR injections, and prove that you have had them. If you have schoolage children you will need to show immunisation records before they will be allowed to register for school. Take note the US does not recognise the TB jabs that the UK give, and the kids will be required to have another. The US also immunises for Varicella or Chicken Pox!, kids will be required to have that at school too unless you can prove that they have already had it, again evidence in the form of a doctors letter would be required. Some Pcp's 'Primary Care Physicians' will take your word for it but dont count on it. They dont give smallpox here ordinarily, but it will help if you can show the evidence from your GP, at least it stops them asking.

Adults going through the INS process for residency have to have a gammet of jabs.

Ordinarily you wont be asked to get any of this UNLESS you are proceeding through the Green card process. However be aware that the kids will require jabs for school.

Hope this helps a little.

Steve and Lynne (from Manchester)
Connecticut
24/12/2002
Old Dec 25th 2002, 4:27 am
Just Joined

britci is an unknown quantity at this point
Default thanks for your info,merry xmass

Hi thanks alot for your info,I thought it would be something like that,I have no kids its just me going...Ive had the td shot here and have talked to my nurse so ill go back and sort out stuff needed,thanks again for you help Merry Christmas.
Old Dec 30th 2002, 3:32 pm
unDAUNTEd

KissingtheBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: info on injections for immigration please.

Originally posted by britci
Hi all,Ive been to my family doctor and explained my circumstances...they say i dont need mmr injection,yet it states i have to have it on injection list...the docs here say its for kids only...any ideas apreciated...MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL....

My husband had no documentation when he went in for his INS physical, so he had no way to prove he had already had the MMR (and others). They made him have it again.
Old Dec 30th 2002, 4:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by KissingtheBrit
My husband had no documentation when he went in for his INS physical, so he had no way to prove he had already had the MMR (and others). They made him have it again.
We had a blood test done through our primary doctor which showed what we were immune to then had the injections we had no immunity too
Old Dec 31st 2002, 2:33 am
Forum Regular

NorthSouth is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to give you security in numbers.....

I had no way of proving I had mine in the UK so the docs here gave me them all again.

The INS want proof either way - from your doctor 20 years ago or from a doctor today that you've had all the injections and your not HIV positive.
Old Dec 31st 2002, 3:53 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by NorthSouth
Just to give you security in numbers.....

I had no way of proving I had mine in the UK so the docs here gave me them all again.

The INS want proof either way - from your doctor 20 years ago or from a doctor today that you've had all the injections and your not HIV positive.
As I said we had a test to see what we were not imune to then had the injections, after paying for that done they have now informed us we have to have an HIV test done and the kids have to have chest xrays Its getting beyond a joke. Thanks .
Old Jan 1st 2003, 8:34 am
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

It was only our children who needed proof of MMR for our visa. We didn't need anything to do with MMR until we have applied for our Green Card and to go to college.

If you are coming across on just a visa, why does an adult need their MMR We didn't 4 years ago.
Old Jan 1st 2003, 3:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by Ben
It was only our children who needed proof of MMR for our visa. We didn't need anything to do with MMR until we have applied for our Green Card and to go to college.

If you are coming across on just a visa, why does an adult need their MMR We didn't 4 years ago.
Sorry Ben, We have been in the USA for two yrs on a visa and are nearing the final stages for the green card and change of status and up to this stage we as adults didnt need them till now. The kids needed proof of all childhood jabs (not only MMR) before they could start school and unless we could give documented evidence of them having chickenpox they had to have that jab.Sorry for the confusion Lynne
Old Jan 1st 2003, 5:03 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by lynne_martin0
Sorry Ben, We have been in the USA for two yrs on a visa and are nearing the final stages for the green card and change of status and up to this stage we as adults didnt need them till now. The kids needed proof of all childhood jabs (not only MMR) before they could start school and unless we could give documented evidence of them having chickenpox they had to have that jab.Sorry for the confusion Lynne
That's OK.
Yes, our kids had to have proof of all the jabs they had received. I didn't have to provide proof of them having had chicken pox, though. even the schools took my word for it. It isn't compulsory for the age of my kids though.

the one thing I have found out about jabs, though, is that not all are absolutely necessary. You can appeal some. When we first arrived I was told that 2 of my 3 had to have another measles booster. This wasn't altogether true and all I had to do was provide a letter stating that they had received enough and this was accepted. The Heb B. I found out that I could have appealed this one too, due to religious reasons, because of the way it is transmitted.

My advice to anyone, if they are unsure, make full enquiries and don't just take the word of the school nurse. She can sometimes be wrong.
Old Jan 3rd 2003, 1:27 am
Forum Regular

Jo Brayne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default immunizations

my kids have had chicken pox , and they both have American passports (born in UK, did the consular birth thing, etc, have the SS #'s , passports here etc) . Do they still need all the jabs? I realze that each school district will have their own requirements, I'm on about for entry into the US.
Old Jan 3rd 2003, 6:14 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Well, my kids (who are british citizens and not US citizens) didn't need anything to prove they had had immunisations, except to the schools (in order to attend the schools here) so I wouldn't have thought yours would. the chicken pox vaccine isn't compulsory everywhere, as far as I understand. It is only coming into our school district this year.

With the children already having had chicken pox, if I was you I would go to your GP and get him/her to write a letter stating this fact and make sure it has his/her heading on the paper and his/her signature. That should be enough for the schools as well as anyone else who might need to know.
Old Jan 3rd 2003, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

Jo Brayne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default info on injections (docs letter)

the problem is that he saw my younger son with the tell-tale marks and confirmed it was chicken pox for me. WHen I told him and others that I had an older son too, they all said 'he'll get it'. I thought uurrghh but kept my eyes open. Sure enough about 3 weeks later, he got it. I didnt go back to the doc because I knew exactly what it was, and was still treating the youngun's remaining spots at that time. So Doc only knows of one of the kids having it.

There was a 'wave' of loads of kids getting it at that time.
Old Jan 4th 2003, 10:58 am
Ben
BE Enthusiast

I still don't think you will have a problem if you talk to your GP and tell him why you need it. If you explain that they insist on knowing in the US otherwise they won't allow your son to start school and will insist on him getting the immunisation, the fact that he saw one son will give him the info that your other son had chicken pox too.

All my kids had chicken pox in the UK and if I needed a letter, I know my GP would have written it for me once I explained why I needed it.

I have never needed it here. And I know of quite a few people who have given their kids the immunisation and their children have still ended up with chicken pox. They are told that it is much milder than it would have been, but the kids I've seen over here who have caught chicken pox have gotten it just as bad as what my kids got it.

And I have met a couple of doctors over here who won't give the vaccine against it. They don't agree with it because of the unknown chance of shingles.

Just ask your GP. You might be surprised.