British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Info on being a resident (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/info-being-resident-114777/)

southcoast Oct 29th 2002 6:16 pm

Info on being a resident

I filed the revelant paperwork in May 2000 to be a U.S resident, I got a receipt, payed for all up to date EAD's etc, but does anyone know the maxium time it should take for a reply from the INS? I moved address but notified the INS straight away, but I hear nothing. Anyone else out there have similiar problems???

Is each state different? I am living in Texas but a friend in MI got to be a resident in 12 months!

HELP!!!

PeteB Nov 1st 2002 12:30 pm

Re: Info on being a resident

Originally posted by southcoast
I filed the revelant paperwork in May 2000 to be a U.S resident, I got a receipt, payed for all up to date EAD's etc, but does anyone know the maxium time it should take for a reply from the INS? I moved address but notified the INS straight away, but I hear nothing. Anyone else out there have similiar problems???

Is each state different? I am living in Texas but a friend in MI got to be a resident in 12 months!

HELP!!!

I moved to TX on an L1 in Jan 2000, filed in Dec 2000 and received approval in Dec 2001. Since then I have received travel adjustment and work adjustment and awaiting residents adjustment. In TX, this can be up to 700 days, but they indicated to me 270 days from Dec 2001. However it has not arrived yet. You can check the status on the web. Serach for INS and then use your filing number to check the status.

southcoast Nov 1st 2002 2:09 pm

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the reply, I went onto the web to find out my status, but on my receipt I do not have a 13 digit number, its just a receipt with all my paid form numbers on. This was so confusing so I called the 1800 phone number, the girl took down my details and said I would get a reply in 3-4 weeks!!!. I am really concerned because I filed for AOS in May 2000. She also said that my receipt will not have the number becasue it was issued by my local office (Dallas). It just doesn't make sense. Any more ideas????

PeteB Nov 1st 2002 8:25 pm

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the reply, I went onto the web to find out my status, but on my receipt I do not have a 13 digit number, its just a receipt with all my paid form numbers on. This was so confusing so I called the 1800 phone number, the girl took down my details and said I would get a reply in 3-4 weeks!!!. I am really concerned because I filed for AOS in May 2000. She also said that my receipt will not have the number becasue it was issued by my local office (Dallas). It just doesn't make sense. Any more ideas????

I was processed in Dallas too, but through atorneys. This may make a difference. Have you received an 'Notice of Action' since your application? This contains the 'receipt number', which is the 13 digit number. In fact, what HAVE you received since your application?

southcoast Nov 1st 2002 8:40 pm

No I haven't received a NOA since I applied....(great more stress)

I moved address, but I notified the INS straight away, I have paid for 2 work permits (as they are only 12 months long), and I had to buy a Advance Parole, just to go back to blighty (that ran out in Oct).

I faxed the Mesquite office.....no reply...
went on the net.....can't no 13 digit number....

My wife (USC) works with a lady from S.Africa hers went through in 18 months....but she contacted a congressman.....so today I have emailed
the mayor....and written letters to local congressmen...(I really don't know what else to do?).

I guess I will have to wait to hear a response from talikng to that girl on the INS hot line.

AAAARRRRGGGHHHHHHHH.....my head hurts

PeteB Nov 1st 2002 8:44 pm

No I haven't received a NOA since I applied....(great more stress)

I moved address, but I notified the INS straight away, I have paid for 2 work permits (as they are only 12 months long), and I had to buy a Advance Parole, just to go back to blighty (that ran out in Oct).

I faxed the Mesquite office.....no reply...
went on the net.....can't no 13 digit number....

My wife (USC) works with a lady from S.Africa hers went through in 18 months....but she contacted a congressman.....so today I have emailed
the mayor....and written letters to local congressmen...(I really don't know what else to do?).

I guess I will have to wait to hear a response from talikng to that girl on the INS hot line.

AAAARRRRGGGHHHHHHHH.....my head hurts

OK, well good luck and Advil.

Yorkieabroad Nov 10th 2002 2:29 am

I just came here from the Far East - my wife is a US citizen, and knew an immigration lawyer who advised us to do all the paperwork overseas before we arrived as it would be quicker. We filed in a tthe US embassy in Singapore in September, arrived here 3 weeks ago, and my green card arrived in the post this morning! I'm not sure if being married to a US citizen makes a difference, but it looks as though the lawyers advice was spot on. I realise this isn't much use to you now, but hopefully may be for anyone else contemplating coming here.

southcoast Dec 11th 2002 9:26 pm

INS......suck

Just found out, the reason why I have not heard anything about my adjustment of status was because the INS has closed my file.

The reason being, in July 2002 I should of gone to the INS office to get my finger prints done, but they had sent it too my old address, now this is the part that REALLY SUCKS...I had downloaded and filed out the "change of address form" in Dec 2001, I also sent a personal letter stating that I had changed address just in case.

I know for sure that they had received it because I got a letter from the INS in June 2002 requesting that I went to the office to pick up my new employment card, and that letter was sent to my new address.

It seems the INS officers have a hard time understanding there own documents...

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE FILING FOR A.O.S!

Tavia Dec 3rd 2003 10:52 pm

I am in the same situation as you. The only thing is it has only been eleven months since we filed AOS. Before we left the previous state we had received a letter to come in for our finger printing and EAD but we had alreday moved. We filed for change of address and the new state sent us mail that our files were still being processed. The only thing is they never sent us any appointment for us to come in for EAD or fingerprinting. I am going to the office on friday to make sure that I have it done so they dont get my papers messed up. Its alreday so expensive to file. You are the only person Ive seen who is in my situation. I do not even have a 13 digit number to check my status. But dont worry Ill find out whats happening. I can't take this anymore.At least you got an EAD but I have nothing yet. How long does it take before they close your case? Please inform me. Ill be very grateful for your information.

Happy holiday. Good luck to you and me.:)

Lion in Winter Dec 3rd 2003 10:58 pm

Re: INS......suck

Just found out, the reason why I have not heard anything about my adjustment of status was because the INS has closed my file.

The reason being, in July 2002 I should of gone to the INS office to get my finger prints done, but they had sent it too my old address, now this is the part that REALLY SUCKS...I had downloaded and filed out the "change of address form" in Dec 2001, I also sent a personal letter stating that I had changed address just in case.

I know for sure that they had received it because I got a letter from the INS in June 2002 requesting that I went to the office to pick up my new employment card, and that letter was sent to my new address.

It seems the INS officers have a hard time understanding there own documents...

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE FILING FOR A.O.S!
GO, don't write, to your local Congressman or Senator's office, with all your supporting paperwork, esp. regarding proof that INS/BCIS had your new address. They should have someone in the office who works specifically on this issue. Congressmen do a 'Congressional Inquiry" and Senators some equivalent. They might be able to get your case speeded up on "compassionate ground" because of the mistakes. And good luck. (I am doing the same thing with my spouse's paperwork.)

Tavia Dec 3rd 2003 11:15 pm

Thats exactly what Im going to do on Friday. I am leaving my house at 3 in the morning. haha. I know how long they say the line is. I will inquire about those things and Ill be sure to let you know what happens. Nice knowing that someone out there knows where Im coming from and understands. Thank you.:)

Hope you have a happy hoilday.