Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Info: Applying for NINO from USA

Info: Applying for NINO from USA

Old Feb 18th 2018, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

MikePotts is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Info: Applying for NINO from USA

I've been a US resident since 1985 and as such was never issued a National Insurance Number in UK.

I'm about to apply to claim my UK pension for which process I need a NINO.

Most folks will tell you that you cannot get a NINO unless you are present in the UK.

I have found that one must apply by letter, not 'phone or e-mail, to:

The Pension Service 11
Mail Handling Site A
Wolverhampton
WV98 1LW
U.K.

giving the following info:

Full Name
Date of Birth
Current Address
Last UK address

I just sent my info off - I'll let you know how/if it works out
Old Feb 18th 2018, 5:23 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Info: Applying for NINO from USA

Why do you think you don't have a NINO?
Old Feb 18th 2018, 5:25 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't have a NINO I assume you have never paid NI contributions. If that is the case I would be interested to know how you qualify for a UK pension?
Old Feb 18th 2018, 5:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

You have stated in another thread you are 64. You would have been issued a NIN when you were 16.
Old Feb 18th 2018, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

MikePotts is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a National Health Insurance Number, a Driving Licence Number and a Passport Number. On none of those do I find a NINO .
Old Feb 18th 2018, 6:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikePotts
I have a National Health Insurance Number, a Driving Licence Number and a Passport Number. On none of those do I find a NINO .
Google is your friend...

https://www.gov.uk/lost-national-insurance-number
Old Feb 19th 2018, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Exactly.

This is what my wife did a few years ago. We had left the UK in 1987 and although she had not worked since 1981, when she had had the first of our children, she knew that she must have a NINO as she had worked in England and one point. Once she got her number and signed up with DWP last year to check her record she very pleasantly surprised to find that she not only had credits for her working years but also for the time she was at university and also about 6 years from the time she stopped working to have children. (We have 2 children close in age to one another).