Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Indianapolis instead of Small Town Indiana

Indianapolis instead of Small Town Indiana

Old Jun 5th 2009, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Indianapolis instead of Small Town Indiana

Husband has been told that the company that are hiring him no longer want him the office in the small town in Indiana and now want him in the office in Indianapolis. I am assuming there are nice suburbs around there that are good for bringing up small kids. I was brought up in Edinburgh but not sure I would want to bring up my kids in a big city! Anyone got any experiences of Indianapolis? Good or bad?

Husband flies out to Indiana in early July for a quick visit to meet the rest of the team he will be working with and have a look at the possible neighbourhoods we could move to. Employers are paying for his flights etc for this trip and for our flights when we move out there. After the H1B is approved finally of course!
Old Jun 5th 2009, 9:33 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Indianapolis instead of Small Town Indiana

Originally Posted by SarahG1976
Husband has been told that the company that are hiring him no longer want him the office in the small town in Indiana and now want him in the office in Indianapolis. I am assuming there are nice suburbs around there that are good for bringing up small kids. I was brought up in Edinburgh but not sure I would want to bring up my kids in a big city! Anyone got any experiences of Indianapolis? Good or bad?

Husband flies out to Indiana in early July for a quick visit to meet the rest of the team he will be working with and have a look at the possible neighbourhoods we could move to. Employers are paying for his flights etc for this trip and for our flights when we move out there. After the H1B is approved finally of course!
I've visited Indianapolis (several times) and found the city centre to be pretty nice - well-planned (they have a pleasant riverwalk area downtown). Of course, living in the suburbs may be quite different, but thought I'd give you my limited perspective.

And if you are into live music, the Slippery Noodle is where it's at!
Old Jun 5th 2009, 10:44 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I think some of the northern suburbs of Indy are supposed to be very nice with some very good schools. Indy isn't exactly a huge city--kind of like a big version of a little town.

Yeah, Hamilton County

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamilton_County,_Indiana

The median household income of Hamilton County is more than $82,000, making it the most affluent county in Indiana.[3] In June 2008 Hamilton County was named America's Best Place to Raise a Family by Forbes.com[4] due to its strong economy, affordable living, top ranked schools, and close proximity to Indianapolis.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

ellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really nice

Just an FYI - there's a British expats meet up group in Fishers so you will not find yourself as the only Brit in town . I'm pretty certain they have a website somewhere but I can't find it, maybe a facebook group though (?)
Old Jun 5th 2009, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at city-data.com to get info on specific areas to live in, especially if you have school age kids.
Old Jun 8th 2009, 1:46 pm

Gibo is on a distinguished road

I go to Indianapolis a lot with work. Carmel is a very nice area from what I have seen. It’s about a 15-20 min drive to downtown. I might be moving there myself, in Sep
Old Jun 8th 2009, 1:50 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahG1976

While I don't live in Indianapolis (120 miles NE away) I grew up in Dalgety Bay. You'll be fine hen. Anywhere outside Indy will be great for bringing up the bairns. Good schools, plenty sports and outside spaces as well as the full 4 seasons, boiling in the Summer and freezing in the Winter.
Old Jun 8th 2009, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
While I don't live in Indianapolis (120 miles NE away) I grew up in Dalgety Bay. You'll be fine hen. Anywhere outside Indy will be great for bringing up the bairns. Good schools, plenty sports and outside spaces as well as the full 4 seasons, boiling in the Summer and freezing in the Winter.
Thanks HooiserDaddy. I hope husband finds a nice area that we could live in when he is over in early July. It is a bit scary but I am a glass is half full type of person usually so thinking it will be good.
I have had an experience of the freezing winters when I lived in Michigan for a year. Snow up to my knees in the winter and trying to clear the driveway but then spending the summer cleaning the swimming pool!
Old Jul 15th 2009, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Husband is just back from Indy and it all went REALLY well. He looked around Carmel, Fisher and Greenwood. He prefers Carmel at the moment and is going to look into property from here and the employers to be will view and feedback to us their opinions.
Employers to be have also said that they will try to get residency for us and go down the greencard route, if we want. I am now going mad online researching as much as I can about Indianapolis and Carmel!