Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Indiana Drivers License

Indiana Drivers License

Old Oct 28th 2013, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

TheGriffin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Indiana Drivers License

It just so happens i am useless at using forums, and cant use the search tool very well.

Does anyone know how exactly you can obtain a drivers license in Indiana?
I would need to have some lessons and take my test as i have never obtained a British Full License (driving is just too pricey and living in a city i really have no need) I only have a provisional license.
Or would i have to obtain a full license in the UK?

Thanks guys and gals!
Old Oct 28th 2013, 1:37 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Indiana Drivers License

Asking on here because im not sure if on the website by 'out of country license' they mean full, provisional or both
Old Oct 28th 2013, 1:38 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

A "full" British licence will do you no good in the US, other than enabling you to rent a car, and drive practically (not legally, at least not long-term). In other words, you'll have to taken the classroom training (if they do that in Indiana), and the computer and road tests whether you have a full British licence or not. You may need to contract with a driving school for some lessons, but especially so that you'll have a car to take the test in.

BTW. You're aware that Seattle isn't in Indiana, aren't you?

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 28th 2013 at 1:50 am.
Old Oct 28th 2013, 2:18 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheGriffin
ItDoes anyone know how exactly you can obtain a drivers license in Indiana?
http://www.in.gov/bmv/2363.htm

Rene
Old Oct 28th 2013, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

When I got my Indiana drivers licence I went to the BMV, took the written test, scheduled the practical test, took practical test, passed, got licence in mail 2 weeks later. As I am on a H4 and not allowed to work I had to supply a letter from SSA saying I'm not allowed a SSN. Otherwise I took passport with visa, I-94, proof of residence and my bank card.

Note: I had a full UK licence so no idea what they would do if you've never passed a UK test.
Old Oct 28th 2013, 3:26 am
Forum Regular

Yogibear1961 is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband never held a UK full license only a bike license, unmet he took the written test, booked a behind the wheel test and pasted with flying colors. All this without ever owning a car.
Old Oct 28th 2013, 6:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you hear back on the Visa issue?
Old Oct 28th 2013, 12:12 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yogibear1961
My husband never held a UK full license only a bike license, unmet he took the written test, booked a behind the wheel test and pasted with flying colors. All this without ever owning a car.
That about says it all about American driving tests!
Old Oct 28th 2013, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

Try to respond to all....

I looked on the BMV and just wasnt sure if i would go over there and be like 'iv never driven a car before can i do a test' and they would be all like 'no go home!'
It says at the bottom of the page linked in by Rene about the out of country licenses, as i said i wasnt sure if that mean full or provisional.

But thanks for the answers, you guys have been rather helpful. So i can just roll on up and do the tests without anything (other than the usual credentials and practice) just like any citizen would... Thats what i am assuming everyone is saying?

I have heard that US drivers tests are pretty easy...

Seattle isnt in Indiana?!?!?! :O No im kidding! A job offer came up in Indiana, so i thought i would try take that up, see how it goes for a couple of months, dip my toe before diving in, all that jazz!

Visa wise, i shall be getting an attorney!
Old Oct 28th 2013, 2:44 pm
Account Closed

Try to respond to all....

I looked on the BMV and just wasnt sure if i would go over there and be like 'iv never driven a car before can i do a test' and they would be all like 'no go home!'
It says at the bottom of the page linked in by Rene about the out of country licenses, as i said i wasnt sure if that mean full or provisional.

But thanks for the answers, you guys have been rather helpful. So i can just roll on up and do the tests without anything (other than the usual credentials and practice) just like any citizen would... Thats what i am assuming everyone is saying?

I have heard that US drivers tests are pretty easy...

Seattle isnt in Indiana?!?!?! :O No im kidding! A job offer came up in Indiana, so i thought i would try take that up, see how it goes for a couple of months, dip my toe before diving in, all that jazz!

The Employer gets the Lawyer.
Old Oct 28th 2013, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler
The Employer gets the Lawyer.
And the bill!
Old Oct 28th 2013, 3:28 pm
Account Closed

Cheque please!
Old Oct 28th 2013, 3:35 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

You don't tell them you've never driven before. Neither have any of the high school kids who reach the age to apply for a driver's license. You just apply. Like the high school kids, it would be wise for you to take a course that will cover both the laws, for the written test, and road driving, for the road test.
It doesn't mean either. The people who wrote the Indiana motor vehicle laws, regulations, policies, and procedures, have no idea what goes on in other countries and have no concept of "full" v. "provisional" in the UK.
Regards, JEff
Old Oct 28th 2013, 4:24 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

T

Do your prospective employers know that you aren't an experienced driver? If this is the au pair job, ferrying children around will be a big part of it, I would think. And you do know that you can't just try it out for a few months before "diving in," don't you? The employer has to obtain the appropriate visa for you and that would be a bit costly if, after a few months, you decided you didn't like it!
Old Oct 28th 2013, 4:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Do your prospective employers know that you aren't an experienced driver? If this is the au pair job, ferrying children around will be a big part of it, I would think. And you do know that you can't just try it out for a few months before "diving in," don't you? The employer has to obtain the appropriate visa for you and that would be a bit costly if, after a few months, you decided you didn't like it!
The kids get a free rollercoaster ride.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.