British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   indian restaurant (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/indian-restaurant-627611/)

jakedamuss Aug 26th 2009 9:35 am

indian restaurant
 
Hi i would like to open an indian restaurant or fish and chip restaurant in michigan i know why michigan but my sister lives there anyway what do you think would do better the fish restaurant would do grilled,poached or fried fish.As for the indian restaurant i have been several times to US and could not find an good indian restaurant.

tonrob Aug 26th 2009 10:20 am

Re: indian restaurant
 

Originally Posted by jakedamuss (Post 7876112)
Hi i would like to open an indian restaurant or fish and chip restaurant in michigan i know why michigan but my sister lives there anyway what do you think would do better the fish restaurant would do grilled,poached or fried fish.As for the indian restaurant i have been several times to US and could not find an good indian restaurant.

While I've never been to Michigan or know anything about it, I do know that the Michigonians do love a bit of fish. So much so that there are fish restaurants pretty much on every street corner, the proximity to the great lakes guaranteeing a strong and continuous supply.

Now there's one thing that Michigoinians do crave and that is vitamin C, The long, harsh, dark winters mean that natives can become seriously depleted, and access to fresh vegetables can be difficult. This is where you come in. Now, as a prospective restaurateur you don't need me to tell you how vitamin C packed vegetables such as the sprout play a huge and starring role in basic home cooking in the subcontinent. A good location coupled with a sound marketing strategy could see your exotic offering with sprout-centered menu take off big time.

The only remaining question is will you offer a delivery services across state lines?

jakedamuss Aug 26th 2009 10:47 am

Re: indian restaurant
 
Thanks for the reply that makes alot of sense.

Manc Aug 26th 2009 1:15 pm

Re: indian restaurant
 
Have you not considered the fact that there are no indian restaurants in Michigan as there is no market for one.

What Detroit area does need is a decent bar to watch football at on a Saturday / Sunday morning.

Duncan Roberts Aug 26th 2009 1:18 pm

Re: indian restaurant
 
You need to figure out the immigration issues first because by the sounds of your other posts you won't be able to open a business here for about a decade. I wold also urge caution. There is a reason why you can't find certain types of restaurants. Most new restaurants that open end up closing within a couple of years, it's a very competitive and difficult industry that is very different to the UK. If you can afford to lose all the money you put in then try when you can legally do it. If you can't afford to lose it all then you may want to think again.

jakedamuss Aug 26th 2009 1:51 pm

Re: indian restaurant
 

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts (Post 7876679)
You need to figure out the immigration issues first because by the sounds of your other posts you won't be able to open a business here for about a decade. I wold also urge caution. There is a reason why you can't find certain types of restaurants. Most new restaurants that open end up closing within a couple of years, it's a very competitive and difficult industry that is very different to the UK. If you can afford to lose all the money you put in then try when you can legally do it. If you can't afford to lose it all then you may want to think again.

I will be going through E2 Visa route. So no decade wait for me :thumbup:

Manc Aug 26th 2009 1:58 pm

Re: indian restaurant
 

Originally Posted by jakedamuss (Post 7876756)
I will be going through E2 Visa route. So no decade wait for me :thumbup:

then I'd pick a business that wasn't so volitile.

MrEmjoy Aug 26th 2009 2:00 pm

Re: indian restaurant
 
Sprouts being the volatile object in question.

Why Michigan? Chicago would love a good fish and chip shop...

Bob Aug 26th 2009 3:04 pm

Re: indian restaurant
 

Originally Posted by Manc (Post 7876673)

What Detroit area does need is...

levelling I'd have thought :D

Duncan Roberts Aug 26th 2009 3:24 pm

Re: indian restaurant
 

Originally Posted by jakedamuss (Post 7876756)
I will be going through E2 Visa route. So no decade wait for me :thumbup:

True, but with such a risky venture (if you get a visa because it is risky) you could be out of the country within a year. Again, if you can afford to lose all the money that you will tie up, do it. If not then you really have to think.

lisa67 Aug 26th 2009 4:40 pm

Re: indian restaurant
 
We had an Indian restaurant near us when I was in Michigan....it closed down within 6 months due to lack of customers. Apart from us, no one wanted Indian food. :(
I'd go with the fish and chip shop :)

tonrob Aug 26th 2009 4:45 pm

Re: indian restaurant
 

Originally Posted by lisa67 (Post 7877220)
We had an Indian restaurant near us when I was in Michigan....it closed down within 6 months due to lack of customers. Apart from us, no one wanted Indian food. :(

And did they have a sprout-based menu?

Thought not. Case closed.

lisa67 Aug 26th 2009 4:50 pm

Re: indian restaurant
 

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 7877236)
And did they have a sprout-based menu?

Thought not. Case closed.

You're right...no sprouts on the menu that i can remember!
:rofl::rofl:

Rete Aug 26th 2009 5:08 pm

Re: indian restaurant
 
When you say Sprouts ... do you mean bean spourts Yuck or brussel sprouts Yum?

Bob Aug 26th 2009 5:17 pm

Re: indian restaurant
 

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 7877305)
When you say Sprouts ... do you mean bean spourts Yuck or brussel sprouts Yum?

brussels for the wee stinky bloke in the corner :D


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:16 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.