Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

indian restaurant

indian restaurant

Old Aug 27th 2009, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: indian restaurant

Originally Posted by tonrob
While I've never been to Michigan or know anything about it, I do know that the Michigonians do love a bit of fish. So much so that there are fish restaurants pretty much on every street corner, the proximity to the great lakes guaranteeing a strong and continuous supply.

Now there's one thing that Michigoinians do crave and that is vitamin C, The long, harsh, dark winters mean that natives can become seriously depleted, and access to fresh vegetables can be difficult. This is where you come in. Now, as a prospective restaurateur you don't need me to tell you how vitamin C packed vegetables such as the sprout play a huge and starring role in basic home cooking in the subcontinent. A good location coupled with a sound marketing strategy could see your exotic offering with sprout-centered menu take off big time.

The only remaining question is will you offer a delivery services across state lines?

DARK WINTERS ????
Michigan is further south than the UK FFS

It's not near the artic circle ... been there a few times ..in winter I might ad and it didnt get darker any earlier than here .. ask Gordon ! he lives in Kalamazoo.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 1:22 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
DARK WINTERS ????
Michigan is further south than the UK FFS

It's not near the artic circle ... been there a few times ..in winter I might ad and it didnt get darker any earlier than here .. ask Gordon ! he lives in Kalamazoo.
Whoooooosh......
Old Aug 27th 2009, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

jakedamuss is just really nicejakedamuss is just really nicejakedamuss is just really nicejakedamuss is just really nicejakedamuss is just really nicejakedamuss is just really nicejakedamuss is just really nicejakedamuss is just really nice

Thanx guys for all response. So i guess all you expats out there would prefer The good old chippy

any ideas on which area to open in michigan??
Old Aug 27th 2009, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jakedamuss
Thanx guys for all response. So i guess all you expats out there would prefer The good old chippy

wow..what a question! Michigan is a large (ish) State and the further north you go the less populated it is. But there are also vacation spots ...if you don't know the State very well I would suggest you visit to get a feel of the place before you invest large amounts of cash in a State that has suffered terribly due to the fall in the economy.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

The little known southern outpost of Michigan, Virginia Beach.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bevinva
The little known southern outpost of Michigan, Virginia Beach.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

jakedamuss is just really nicejakedamuss is just really nicejakedamuss is just really nicejakedamuss is just really nicejakedamuss is just really nicejakedamuss is just really nicejakedamuss is just really nicejakedamuss is just really nice

Originally Posted by lisa67
wow..what a question! Michigan is a large (ish) State and the further north you go the less populated it is. But there are also vacation spots ...if you don't know the State very well I would suggest you visit to get a feel of the place before you invest large amounts of cash in a State that has suffered terribly due to the fall in the economy.
if michigan economy messed up more than other us states were would fellow members suggest i open my CHIPPY!!
Old Aug 27th 2009, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

if michigan economy messed up more than other us states were would fellow members suggest i open my CHIPPY!!
I already told you.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 1:27 pm
Another wandering Scot

Walkingman is just really niceWalkingman is just really niceWalkingman is just really niceWalkingman is just really niceWalkingman is just really niceWalkingman is just really niceWalkingman is just really niceWalkingman is just really niceWalkingman is just really nice

Brighton
Old Aug 27th 2009, 2:03 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

dude.

you need to really think about this.

you haven't got the foggiest.

As you know Michigan is surrounded by the great lakes. Perch is the fish of choice.

Whilst I'd love a big slab of North Sea Cod for a change with my pomme frites, it's not economically viable to fly it in for the little demand and it would be very expensive compared to the local fish you can get here.

And as for Pies and what not, are Hollands going to fly you in a couple of chicken and mushroom every day just for your shop?

So if you do fish and chips with Lake Perch, you'll be like every single Applebee's, TGI Fridays, Brewpub, Family restaurant in the country...........

I hate to break it to you in harsh terms, but this is an epic fail before you've even started.

Your not opening a fish and chip shop. your not getting an E2.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Manc
dude.

you need to really think about this.

you haven't got the foggiest.

As you know Michigan is surrounded by the great lakes. Perch is the fish of choice.

Whilst I'd love a big slab of North Sea Cod for a change with my pomme frites, it's not economically viable to fly it in for the little demand and it would be very expensive compared to the local fish you can get here.

And as for Pies and what not, are Hollands going to fly you in a couple of chicken and mushroom every day just for your shop?

So if you do fish and chips with Lake Perch, you'll be like every single Applebee's, TGI Fridays, Brewpub, Family restaurant in the country...........

I hate to break it to you in harsh terms, but this is an epic fail before you've even started.

Your not opening a fish and chip shop. your not getting an E2.
so what you saying is that you cant get cod in michigan?? i know you can buy it there as i have seen it, its also lot cheaper than the u.k
Old Aug 27th 2009, 2:16 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

so what you saying is that you cant get cod in michigan?? i know you can buy it there as i have seen it, its also lot cheaper than the u.k

oooh you can get cod............ it's just not chippy cod.

Overfishing, spurred by subsidies to fishermen by the Canadian and US governments keep the price relatively low, even though there is relatively no cod left off the Grand Banks and Newfoundland.........
hence the rise in Tilapia in recent years........

But of course you already knew that because you've researched this and didn't come back from vacation with your sister, wake up and thought "I want to move to America, I'll just open a chippy and everything will be hunky dory"

I'm asking this, if you use local fish, what will set you apart from other US restaurants that do fish and chips.

Last edited by Manc; Aug 27th 2009 at 2:22 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Manc is being blunt, but realistic. Michigan is twice the size of England, and you're asking a bunch of strangers where in the state to put your chip shop? Frankly, you don't sound like an international businessman. Most new restaurants fail in a year or two, and don't think the folks who hand out E2 visas don't know that.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

OP, imo you'd be better off researching an area that has a "high" ex pat population/vacationers, although if you head somewhere like Orlando (which is the first place that comes to my mind) then I think you'll find that someone has already beat you to it
I just can't imagine your idea flying in MI. Ever thought about Canada? It's on the US border near MI (sorry for stating the obvious re the geography) and I know that the chippy van just over the border from where we lived in MI did a roaring trade, but that was several years ago.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 2:39 pm
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by lisa67
OP, imo you'd be better off researching an area that has a "high" ex pat population/vacationers, although if you head somewhere like Orlando (which is the first place that comes to my mind) then I think you'll find that someone has already beat you to it
I just can't imagine your idea flying in MI. Ever thought about Canada? It's on the US border near MI (sorry for stating the obvious re the geography) and I know that the chippy van just over the border from where we lived in MI did a roaring trade, but that was several years ago.
if he just wants a traditional English carry out chippy,

anywhere with lots of singles and apartments or a University town.

where people don't want to cook or grab a bite to eat when the bars are closed.

somewhere like Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti for example.

but I still think it is a none starter to be honest......

places like Buffalo Wild Wings and the like will be very hard to compete with........... especially those places where you can down pints and eat at the same time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.