British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Independence Day (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/independence-day-312114/)

Big D Jul 4th 2005 8:51 pm

Independence Day

So this is my first July 4th in the US - went to a fireworks display and really enjoyed it - I am quite moved by the patriotism in this country at times.

Now - probably shouldn't go here - but i was asked if we celebrated independence day in the UK - yes but its called good riddance day?!?!? Just wondered how many Americans truely understand the origins?

Probably unfair and inappropriate - just found it amusing!!! No offence intended to the ex-colonies!!

anotherlimey Jul 4th 2005 9:26 pm

Re: Independence Day

I think the fireworks are rained off here.:(

Dimsie Jul 4th 2005 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by Big D
So this is my first July 4th in the US - went to a fireworks display and really enjoyed it - I am quite moved by the patriotism in this country at times.

Now - probably shouldn't go here - but i was asked if we celebrated independence day in the UK - yes but its called good riddance day?!?!? Just wondered how many Americans truely understand the origins?

Probably unfair and inappropriate - just found it amusing!!! No offence intended to the ex-colonies!!

It's my first 4th July here too - Hi Big D.

US husband thinks that many people, especially younger ones, here have no idea what it's all about - they just know it's "Fireworks Day". He very kindly said also that on the whole those who do know what it's about tend to look on it more as "America's Birthday" rather than celebrating getting away from the b....dy British :D :D

veryfunny Jul 4th 2005 11:29 pm

Yes you got it, I have been asked several times if we celebrate this day in the UK. I just say no and leave it there, just a waste of time most of the times explaining.

Jabba1 Jul 4th 2005 11:55 pm

As an American I'm well aware of what the 4th of July represents. I would never dream of asking a Brit if they celebrate it in the UK.

Rete Jul 5th 2005 12:18 am

Originally Posted by Dimsie

US husband thinks that many people, especially younger ones, here have no idea what it's all about - they just know it's "Fireworks Day". He very kindly said also that on the whole those who do know what it's about tend to look on it more as "America's Birthday" rather than celebrating getting away from the b....dy British :D :D

As a 57 yo American Citizen, I have to say that I agree with your husband. While it might have at one time been celebrated strictly as a cause of celebration of our independence from the British Government, I've always think of it as the birthday of America as a country. In essence, are they not one and the same?

Hope everyone in the US enjoyed the holiday regardless of their nationality. The US and the UK are both great nations with much to offer both its citizens, immigrants and visitors.

Little side note. Jim, who is Canadian by birth and American by choice, and I enjoyed a bbq along the banks of the Hudson River. At one point this morning a group of kayaks went pass the park. There was one kayak with only the British flag flying and all the rest had US flags. About 1/2 hour earlier a sailboat had gone pass flying both the US flag and the Canadian flag.

Yorkieabroad Jul 5th 2005 1:23 am

Originally Posted by Dimsie

US husband thinks that many people, especially younger ones, here have no idea what it's all about - they just know it's "Fireworks Day". :D

I suspect it would be the same in the UK if you asked folk (particularly youngsters) what November 5th was all about....."Bonfire Night", but how many know its origins?

ImHere Jul 5th 2005 1:33 am

Originally Posted by Rete
As a 57 yo American Citizen, I have to say that I agree with your husband. While it might have at one time been celebrated strictly as a cause of celebration of our independence from the British Government, I've always think of it as the birthday of America as a country. In essence, are they not one and the same?

Hope everyone in the US enjoyed the holiday regardless of their nationality. The US and the UK are both great nations with much to offer both its citizens, immigrants and visitors.

Little side note. Jim, who is Canadian by birth and American by choice, and I enjoyed a bbq along the banks of the Hudson River. At one point this morning a group of kayaks went pass the park. There was one kayak with only the British flag flying and all the rest had US flags. About 1/2 hour earlier a sailboat had gone pass flying both the US flag and the Canadian flag.

http://www.glocktalk.com/images/smilies/goodpost.gif

dbj1000 Jul 5th 2005 1:38 am

Originally Posted by Jabba1
As an American I'm well aware of what the 4th of July represents. I would never dream of asking a Brit if they celebrate it in the UK.

Good for you. Doesn't stop huge numbers of your fellow countrymen asking that particular question each year though. This year I must have been asked at least 10 times!

gruffbrown Jul 5th 2005 1:43 am

Happy 4th of July from the fat blokes in Kilts....

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~second95/...eat-by-sam.jpg

cindyabs Jul 5th 2005 2:08 am

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
I suspect it would be the same in the UK if you asked folk (particularly youngsters) what November 5th was all about....."Bonfire Night", but how many know its origins?

I do and I'm a Yank, :) Happened to be able to attend Bonfire Night when we were spending a week in Looe. It was nice!

Sue Jul 5th 2005 2:59 am

We've just got back from celebrating "America's Birthday" with a bunch of our neighbours....not one of us American. The group consisted of two from Britain, one from South Africa, one from Cuba, one from New Zealand and one from Switzerland...just goes to show the world really is a small place, and America is made up of all nationalities.

Hope you all had a good one :)

Sue

ImHere Jul 5th 2005 3:06 am

Originally Posted by Sue
We've just got back from celebrating "America's Birthday" with a bunch of our neighbours....not one of us American. The group consisted of two from Britain, one from South Africa, one from Cuba, one from New Zealand and one from Switzerland...just goes to show the world really is a small place, and America is made up of all nationalities.

Hope you all had a good one :)

Sue

I celebrated it with a brit, two south africans, some from cuba, a venezuelan and a swede

yorkshire_lass Jul 5th 2005 10:39 am

I really enjoyed the fireworks and fair down at Pearl Harbour tonight. I had to make my son change out of his T shirt that had the England flag on the front though - but probably needn't have bothered, after what I have read here most of the americans wouldn't have been insulted and my son had little concept of it - it just happened to be what he was wearing. However, I have to disagree with what one poster said about most British youths not knowing what bonfire night is about. I was a history teacher in an English high school prior to coming here and the curriculum includes the origins of bonfire night in year 8 (age 12-13) At my school we tended to do a lot about it because they found it so interesting. I think most Brit kids know a bit about who Guy Fawkes was if they listened in school.

My American husband finds it funny that I might think that Americans would be insulted by my son wearing the UK flag on his T shirt to 4th July celebrations. He thinks most americans don't think of it in those terms and he is probably right. However, he is still mistaken in thinking that me, as a Brit, might find it hard to celebrate the US gaining independance, as though I might be bitter about it???!! Lets face it - it was way before my grandfather's father was even and twinkle in anyone's eye..... why would I have any personal feelings? Yes it is true that the War of Independence is not genreally taught in British high schools, but that is due to time constraints on teaching time and the fact that there was so much else going on at the time - eg. French Revolution and its repercussions, British industrial revolution, and the slave trade was still big business, not to mention the Jewel in the Crown was India anyway.

Anyway, 4th of July here in Hwaii was GREAT! and we had a wonderful time! Best fireworks I ever saw :)

emmals Jul 5th 2005 10:50 am

Originally Posted by ImHere
I celebrated it with a brit, two south africans, some from cuba, a venezuelan and a swede

no carrots?