British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Indefinate Visa on an expired passport (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/indefinate-visa-expired-passport-259417/)

ladysurrey Oct 12th 2004 3:06 am

Indefinate Visa on an expired passport

I was granted an indefinite stay visa when I was engaged to be married to a US citizen over 15 years ago ...........needless to say I ditched him, I met and married my hubby funnily enough in the US although we have always lived in the UK and have never availed myself to this visa as I mentioned in the subject line the passport has expired.

Would I still be able to use this as we are looking at countries/options to emigrate to in 2 years when my very young hubby will retire at 49.

Is the visa still valid can he apply using my visa as a spouse, I never married the American Guy but when I obtained the indefinate stay visa there was no intention to take the visa and run it was just circumstances changed.

We both Uk citizens and we will have a good pension to help us while we are out there and he wishes to take on some kind of part time work while he is out there as he actually likes working :confused: we will have 2 children who in 2 years will be 11 and 8 and possibly his son from a former marriage aged 23.

Any advice, I dont know what type of visa it is its being posted back to me from my mothers house but as we ant to work it is probably relevant.

Englishmum Oct 12th 2004 12:09 pm

Re: Indefinate Visa on an expired passport

No chance. The visa is no longer valid.

Your best bet is to retire to Malaysia as it's beautiful, very cheap, English is widely spoken with some good British schools (it's a former British colony) and the govt. actively welcomes foreigners to take out a retirement visa (see the board for the Far East - there are a number of recent postings from Brits retiring there).

There are no retirement visas for the USA.

Manc Oct 12th 2004 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by ladysurrey
Would I still be able to use this as we are looking at countries/options to emigrate to in 2 years when my very young hubby will retire at 49.

ditto Englishmum, not a cat in hells chance.

justboy Oct 12th 2004 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum
No chance. The visa is no longer valid.

Your best bet is to retire to Malaysia as it's beautiful, very cheap, English is widely spoken with some good British schools (it's a former British colony) and the govt. actively welcomes foreigners to take out a retirement visa (see the board for the Far East - there are a number of recent postings from Brits retiring there).

There are no retirement visas for the USA.

Another agreement here. Go to Singapore, it's a paradise, and a lot less hassle to get a visa!!

Texas Brit Oct 12th 2004 8:22 pm

Yep. Agreed here too. No way that visa would be any good now. You'd (literally) be turned back at the immigration desk (if you tried getting on that thing they probably would not even let you in temporarily on a visa waiver as they'd doubt your intent to leave).

Spain is nice.