Reload this Page >

Income on UK Funds

Income on UK Funds

Old Feb 23rd 2022, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

freddie_freeloader is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Income on UK Funds

Hi All

I have been in the US for over a decade but have some funds parked in a UK High Street Bank. I am thinking what I might be able to do with this money to generate a relatively low risk income above the 0.1% I currently receive. I will need to pay taxes on this income in the US and so unless it is at a decent rate it hardly seems like the effort. For example I can contribute a max of £300 a month to a savings account with the same bank for a 1% return as long as it stays in the account for a year. This falls into the not worth the effort bucket as I will need to then spend more time on this in terms of US taxes.

Interested to know what else you might be doing. This is money I might need in <5 years so not looking at stock market investment. I guess bonds / gilts are an option but again not sure its worth the effort.

Cheers

Arb
Old Feb 24th 2022, 12:38 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Income on UK Funds

Originally Posted by freddie_freeloader
Hi All

I have been in the US for over a decade but have some funds parked in a UK High Street Bank. I am thinking what I might be able to do with this money to generate a relatively low risk income above the 0.1% I currently receive. I will need to pay taxes on this income in the US and so unless it is at a decent rate it hardly seems like the effort. For example I can contribute a max of £300 a month to a savings account with the same bank for a 1% return as long as it stays in the account for a year. This falls into the not worth the effort bucket as I will need to then spend more time on this in terms of US taxes.

Interested to know what else you might be doing. This is money I might need in <5 years so not looking at stock market investment. I guess bonds / gilts are an option but again not sure its worth the effort.

Cheers

Arb
NS&I Green Savings Bond now pays 1.3%. They mature in three years.

But I agree with you, is it worth the bother, for an income of tens, or a couple of hundred, pounds per annum. Every new account you open is adding to your reporting burden to the IRS and the Treasury in subsequent years.
Old Feb 24th 2022, 9:10 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by freddie_freeloader
Hi All

Cheers

Arb
how is this more work? Typing $1 or $1000 on your tax return is not really more work. Whether the account is in the UK or US you still have to report the interest you earn, even if it’s less than $10 and you don’t get the 1099-INT.

The only upside to moving it to the US Would be if it took you below the FBAR reporting levels.
Old Feb 25th 2022, 12:46 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
how is this more work? Typing $1 or $1000 on your tax return is not really more work. Whether the account is in the UK or US you still have to report the interest you earn, even if it’s less than $10 and you don’t get the 1099-INT.

The only upside to moving it to the US Would be if it took you below the FBAR reporting levels.
Having additional accounts is more work (three accounts instead of two, for instance.) An additional entry on the FBAR and 8938, if applicable.