Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Inbound immigrant insurance / prior cover

Inbound immigrant insurance / prior cover

Old Dec 6th 2011, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Inbound immigrant insurance / prior cover

Do programs like AIG Inbound Immigrant Insurance / Seven Corners etc qualify for "prior credible coverage" when it comes to buying "proper" medical insurance? There's some rule about 63 days and I'd hate to be on the inbound one for a few months and then find it didn't count.

Note that the III one is pretty poor coverage so I'm only considering it as a last resort.

While we're here, if anybody has tips for finding health insurance whilst still in the UK (family cover; I have no employer and won't until well after arriving), that would be appreciated. Sure, I can spend a couple of hours filling in the highly detailed questionnaires to get a proper quote but there are only so many hours in the day...
Old Dec 7th 2011, 1:18 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Inbound immigrant insurance / prior cover

www.einsurance.com I think it is? might be ehealth.com anyway, it'll give you a selection, but the quotes will be way off till you do go into detail and then they'll still be shit because you won't have any US credit history.

As for the main question. I've no idea I'm afraid.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
www.einsurance.com I think it is? might be ehealth.com anyway, it'll give you a selection, but the quotes will be way off till you do go into detail and then they'll still be shit because you won't have any US credit history.
Thanks - I'll give them a try.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

jukes is an unknown quantity at this point

I am also interested in what health insurance to initially get for my family, thanks.
Old Dec 8th 2011, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

Keith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to all

My wife and I arrived in August and got 3 months cover as new immigrants from IMG (International Medical Group) and took up the American Patriot plan which gave us the highest cover. Cost was about $900 for the 3 months.
When that was due in November we applied, via einsurance, for longer term cover with AETNA and were turned down as we had not been resident in USA for at least 6 months. So we had to renew the AP insurance. When we did that the price was upped to $1168. So, we re-applied as new immigrants again, for 3 months, and the price was around $900 as we had initially paid.
Hope this helps.