Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Improve Your Reputation in the US

Wikiposts

Improve Your Reputation in the US

Old Apr 4th 2006, 1:15 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Improve Your Reputation in the US

Originally Posted by st326
I'll just shoot myself now.

Or take to drink.

Or somethng.
Well, it was nice knowing you ... The great graveyard of failed PhDs awaits you. :scared:
Old Apr 4th 2006, 1:17 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

Or take to drink.

Or somethng.

Honestly, just relax ... the external is usually a nice guy (until he/she notices you haven't cited to them) .... RUN FOR YOUR LIFE.

Last edited by User Name; Apr 4th 2006 at 1:27 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2006, 1:21 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

Or take to drink.

Or somethng.
Honestly, you will look back on this time not with affection, but with stark raving curdling TERROR. Then you wake up in a ward full of mad people, and they are the people who are supposed to be looking after you. Just don't forget your towel ...
Old Apr 4th 2006, 1:23 pm
Utter Newbie

st326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by User Name
Honestly, you will look back on this time not with affection, but with stark raving curdling TERROR. Then you wake up in a ward full of mad people, and they are the people who are supposed to be looking after you. Just don't forget your towel ...
You're really helping a lot, here...
Old Apr 4th 2006, 1:25 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

Naturally ... it is the solemn duty of everyone who has a hard-science PhD to wind up the one about to do their hard-science PhD viva/oral/defense ...
Old Apr 4th 2006, 1:29 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

Anyways ... you will do fine ... I am certain of it But I am betting both ways on you, just to be safe!
Old Apr 4th 2006, 1:49 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

No, you shouldn't have said that.

Actually, I found a few XXX's and [cite something or other here]'s in what I thought was my final draft... All OK now, thought (said I, hoping for the best)
Oh dearest ... if you pass you will be given (by the External and maybe even your Internal) a long list of corrections, which will include those "few" XXX's and references to a whole plethora of "[cite something or other here]'s". You will be so blown over and tired afterwards (after the terror that was your viva), that you will find it hard to lift your head from your pillow let alone your brain to sort out that list of ... how many corrections? OK OK, I will stop now. But you so dug yourself a big hole back there ...

... and oh, you should memorize that DUNE (Frank Herbert's DUNE) saying, "I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when my fear is gone I will turn ..."

Last edited by User Name; Apr 4th 2006 at 2:40 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2006, 2:18 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

Actually, you could strike out lucky, the External could get into a mighty row with the Internal and while they slug it out (verbally of course) and might just forget all about you! Then time's up ... and you get the "Urm, congratulations Dr. st326". But I still think you will get a long list of corrections (the External will come with "his/her list").
Old Apr 4th 2006, 4:06 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
Okay we all know they love posh English people so how about a title

http://www.englishtitles.co.uk/

For a small fee, a title and a foot of land! And their sales blurb reckons it will get you a good seat in restaurant!

So what you gonna be?

I fancy being a Countess
Laydee sounds too Little Britain, Duchess too Eastenders!
I think I'll go for Princess of Wales