Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Importing wine into US

Wikiposts

Importing wine into US

Old Jul 3rd 2011, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

Brit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Importing wine into US

I asked a friend back home (UK) to gather together a nice selection of a dozen bottles of assorted French, Spanish, Italian wines from the smaller vineyards that were unlikely to be found here in US.
We found some interesting bottles (with the help of friends living on the continent) and he got them boxed up and ready to ship. Only to find that no courier service will accept a dozen bottles of wine for delivery to the US. It seems to be illegal.

Yes, I should have at least checked on this but I never imagined a dozen bottles of wine for private consumption would be banned by the US. I'm quite willing to pay duties etc but no go.

Having now researched this online I'm even more confused. Apparently it varies state to state (I think), with my state, TN, being one that does allow wine imports. The only things I have found out is that USPS is a straight no can do. However private courier services (UPS, Fedex et al) seem to be able to bring wine into the country for private consumption, but no-one seems to know that when I call them and ask about it.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Any info gratefully (and soberly) received.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing wine into US

Yes, as you discovered, it does vary from state to state.

Or, more accurately, you have to deal with both Federal and State law.

If you were just bringing in 12 bottles of wine for personal consumption when returning to the US you most likely wouldn't have a problem (assuming that your POE is in a state that allows it) - you would just pay some duty on it and be on your way.

Unfortunately you want to have it shipped to you and that is where the problems really start - none of the shipping companies want to have to deal with the complex issues of whether the precise shipment that you want to make is legal or not. If you were a registered, licensed, importer of alcoholic beverages and could do all the paperwork for them you would be OK but as a private individual you will be pretty much out of luck.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 6:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Even shipping from state to state the rules are a nightmare. Distributors can't ship to certain states but individuals can etc etc. There are some specialized wine shipping companies in places such as Napa. I've used Buffalo shipping post before very helpful, perhaps give them a call or email them, see if they can help or suggest someone who can.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 6:31 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

If you know of Tony Laithwaites company in the UK, he is now is in the US http://www.laithwaiteswine.com

He has always supplied wines from the smaller vineyards around the world. We have been buying from him for years both in the UK and when he started up over here. Might well have what you want and cheaper then shipping from the UK.