Reload this Page >

Importing Vehicle From Canada

Wikiposts

Importing Vehicle From Canada

Old May 23rd 2001, 8:47 am
Pierre G. Lalonde

Hello to all,

I'm just about to go for my interview at the Montreal Consulate (Tuesday, May
29th.. wish me luck!) and am now thinking about importing my car when move.
Would anyone of you have information as to what is involved in this. I will be
driving my car to the states, and want to make sure I have that's needed to be
able to bring it across with me. I already know I am to contact manufacturer of
car for a letter, and will be doing that within the next few days. I'm just
wondering if there's anything else I need to do, any special form I need to
file. Any and all help regarding this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank
you all in advance.

Pierre

Old May 23rd 2001, 9:46 am
Ian Levstein

You will need to fill out some forms at the border, but other than that you only
need a letter from the manufacturer stating that your car meets US emissions and
safety standards. Of course, you'll also need the original ownership and
registration papers.

Ian

"Pierre G. Lalonde" wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old May 23rd 2001, 11:05 am
Rich Wales

>
    >
    >

Note, though, that some Canada-legal cars are =NOT= US-legal in terms of the US
emissions and safety standards.

In particular, if Pierre's car is more than a few years old, it could very possibly
run afoul of the US seat belt regulations. If the car does NOT have air bags for both
front seats (driver and passenger), and if it does NOT have motorized shoulder belts,
be suspicious.

My understanding is that, unless the manufacturer's letter says the vehicle meets all
applicable US federal motor vehicle safety standards (FMVSS) -- or that it meets the
FMVSS except for "minor labelling requirements" -- the car is either non-importable,
or else it is likely to require prohibitively expensive modifications before it can
be considered legal for importation to the States.

Rich Wales [email protected] http://www.webcom.com/richw/dualcit/
*DISCLAIMER: I am not a lawyer, professional immigration consultant,
or consular officer. My comments are for discussion purposes only and
are not intended to be relied upon as legal or professional advice.

Old May 23rd 2001, 11:35 am
Hilary Whalen

In my case, it took about 3 weeks to get the letter from the auto manufacturer.... My
car doesn't meet the US standards and the manufacturer is not willing to support the
modifications required for import..... sooooo I am selling it and will buy another
when I move..... Just my own experience!!!!!!! Good luck with yours.

H

"Pierre G. Lalonde" wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old May 23rd 2001, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

bc_39 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I called the manufacturer today about my vehicle, it passes everything except the man informed me of 2 recalls that the vehicle has had. He also told me that it shows that it had never been taken in to have the recall work done(I bought the vehicle used, so had no idea), which is free.

When this recall work is done, a paper will be issued to me from the dealer and i'm supposed to take that along with all the other papers required when i enter the US.

It's all kind of a pain in the arse, but oh well, just another step n the whole K-1 process i guess. :-)
Old May 23rd 2001, 1:19 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Just beware if you are dealing with Chrysler. Twice, on two separate cars, they assured Jim over the phone, based on the VIN identification, that both cars passed for US importation and both times after two weeks, letters were received that no the car(s) did not pass and could not be imported into the US. In one case it was because the seatbelts were not passive (motorized did not come into play as this type of restraint is now passe) and the second time because the airbags were not dual but only driver side.

Thousands of dollars wasted.

Rita
Old May 23rd 2001, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

bc_39 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmmmmm, that's interesting Rita, I could be wasting my time here, my vehicle doesn't have any airbags.

One of the recalls was to do about the rear seatbelts.

I'm thinking I might be smart to just sell and buy in the US. I have a feeling I just wasted $65 getting the paper sent from the manufacturer today.