Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Importing a Land Rover, the wrong way

Importing a Land Rover, the wrong way

Old Aug 29th 2013, 12:28 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Importing a Land Rover, the wrong way

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...-defender-vide
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...t-airbags.html

Ouch!

Land Rover Defender does not meet US safety rules so...crushed!

(subtext--this was a modified Rover fraudulently documented and imported to get past Customs inspectors)

Last edited by penguinsix; Aug 29th 2013 at 12:30 am.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 1:13 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing a Land Rover, the wrong way

Tösser. The Defender didn't even exist in 1975, and what Landrover was making back then didn't look remotely similar; it didn't even have the same wheelbase FFS.

That said, I don't know why Landrover don't make a US spec Defender. I wonder what it is that would need to be done to make it compliant, because a special batch (I think all were Defender 110's) was sold in the US in the early 90's.

Edit: Oh, airbags! And they're worth a LOT more than $30 for scrap. The chassis and engine likely weigh enough to be worth $400 +/-, and the aluminium body panels are probably worth another $100 or more.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 29th 2013 at 1:17 am.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 1:52 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I think there was also a problem with side-impact crash test and potential pedestrian injury (either the front was too stiff or the angle was too hard for a driver to see over the hood).

Read somewhere that a whole new look is coming out in a few years as the EU changes their requirements.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 2:03 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
I think there was also a problem with side-impact crash test and potential pedestrian injury (either the front was too stiff or the angle was too hard for a driver to see over the hood).

Read somewhere that a whole new look is coming out in a few years as the EU changes their requirements.
Yeah, I've seen pictures of a proposed new one - looks like a Mk1 RAV4 on steroids.