Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Importing guitar from the UK to the USA

Importing guitar from the UK to the USA

Old Apr 10th 2010, 6:01 am
Forum Regular

Angelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really nice
Default Importing guitar from the UK to the USA

Forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong section. Moderators please move this if so!

I love my music and I have an opportunity to import a lovely British bass guitar from the UK to the USA. Been playing in bands since my teens. Anybody imported any musical instruments or have any idea if and how much import duty might be? (guitar value is only around £350) I've tried wading through the copious "helpful sites" but it's a minefield. So much conflicting information.

TIA Paula
Old Apr 10th 2010, 6:29 am
member of little note

made of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing guitar from the UK to the USA

just get a quote, unless you have hash in it? grow up! it's just post and packing! may be tax but not a lot!

Last edited by made of kent; Apr 10th 2010 at 6:32 am. Reason: shit answer!!
Old Apr 10th 2010, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

don't suppose you have anyone coming over to visit who could bring it over with them. My father bought a guitar here in the US and took it back with him quite recently.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

Angelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really nice

Originally Posted by lisa67
don't suppose you have anyone coming over to visit who could bring it over with them. My father bought a guitar here in the US and took it back with him quite recently.
That is an excellent idea, but none of my friends are coming over any time soon. Oh well ! The fellow who's selling it should be able to pack it up sufficiently to prevent the Neanderthals in USPS breaking it....I'm also guessing the import duty won't be a deal breaker. Thanks for the help.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angelstation
That is an excellent idea, but none of my friends are coming over any time soon. Oh well ! The fellow who's selling it should be able to pack it up sufficiently to prevent the Neanderthals in USPS breaking it....I'm also guessing the import duty won't be a deal breaker. Thanks for the help.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Don't be so sure of that. Since you have 3 posts now, you are able to use the Private Message system. I suggest you contact Super Moderator meauxna - her husband has a collection of guitars and has experience shipping them (good and bad experience )
Old Apr 10th 2010, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong section. Moderators please move this if so!

I love my music and I have an opportunity to import a lovely British bass guitar from the UK to the USA. Been playing in bands since my teens. Anybody imported any musical instruments or have any idea if and how much import duty might be? (guitar value is only around £350) I've tried wading through the copious "helpful sites" but it's a minefield. So much conflicting information.

TIA Paula
I am sure you will eventually get the right answer, to see if there are any strings attached, to your guitar problem.

Jim.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

helwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond repute

guitar value is only around £350
If it's only worth that much then it probably isn't a great guitar. I'd buy one in this country and save the hassle/cost of shipping it.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by helwardman
If it's only worth that much then it probably isn't a great guitar. I'd buy one in this country and save the hassle/cost of shipping it.

Oh I agree. Absolutely valid point. I already have a fine collection of electric and acoustic guitars; I have kept GuitarCenter in business here in Arizona! Trying to find a British made guitar over here gets a bit more difficult. I've had a fantastic 6 string Shergold Masquerader for almost 30 years (brought it to the USA from Australia) and have recently been rather smitten by the idea of getting its 4 string brethren. Everytime one comes up on Ebay or Craigs list.. bam , it's gone or I'm always outbid. And I know the provenance of this particular bass I'm interested in purchasing, so that gives me confidence.

But still, I am umming and ahhing about the whole procedure. Perhaps I should just bid madly next time one comes up on Ebay here in the US.

Paula
Old Apr 10th 2010, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bill_S
Don't be so sure of that. Since you have 3 posts now, you are able to use the Private Message system. I suggest you contact Super Moderator meauxna - her husband has a collection of guitars and has experience shipping them (good and bad experience )
Thanks Bill, will do..............!
Old Apr 10th 2010, 6:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

There was a thread a few days ago about shipping stuff over in general and guitars were also mentioned in it, worth searching it out.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 8:01 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Paula, I'll just answer you here instead of in both places.
I asked the DH.. it sounds like your question is more around the import + duty. If it's a used guitar that you're buying from a private party.. gosh, I don't know what to tell you. We've only transported ones we own over and back to the UK.

My DH repairs/refinishes all sorts and has people ship to/from him all around the US but we haven't dealt with importing one. He offers you these shipping tips to make sure it gets here in one piece.
If it doesn't, give him a call! ( it never comes to that..)

Definitely some sort of hard case and/or build a plywood box for it. Costs extra for postage, but better than a broken guitar.

Relax the strings all the way off. Do not put anything else in the case or box with the guitar (his was broken by security re-packing it improperly with his little tuner box in the case).
Tons of padding.

I'll look on the US Customs site later; if you have found any links, please post them to save some searching.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
Hi Paula, I'll just answer you here instead of in both places.
I asked the DH.. it sounds like your question is more around the import + duty. If it's a used guitar that you're buying from a private party.. gosh, I don't know what to tell you. We've only transported ones we own over and back to the UK.

My DH repairs/refinishes all sorts and has people ship to/from him all around the US but we haven't dealt with importing one. He offers you these shipping tips to make sure it gets here in one piece.
If it doesn't, give him a call! ( it never comes to that..)

Definitely some sort of hard case and/or build a plywood box for it. Costs extra for postage, but better than a broken guitar.

Relax the strings all the way off. Do not put anything else in the case or box with the guitar (his was broken by security re-packing it improperly with his little tuner box in the case).
Tons of padding.

I'll look on the US Customs site later; if you have found any links, please post them to save some searching.
Appreciate you looking into this for me. The seller has suggested he can also unbolt the neck from the body. (The Shergold guitars do allow you to easily do this) That could possibly be an option too. Grogg and Uggh in the USPS like breaking long thin bits... I haven't committed to the sale yet, so we shall see if it will be worth all this trouble!

Thanks for helping out.
Paula
Old Apr 12th 2010, 3:08 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I agree. Absolutely valid point. I already have a fine collection of electric and acoustic guitars; I have kept GuitarCenter in business here in Arizona! Trying to find a British made guitar over here gets a bit more difficult. I've had a fantastic 6 string Shergold Masquerader for almost 30 years (brought it to the USA from Australia) and have recently been rather smitten by the idea of getting its 4 string brethren. Everytime one comes up on Ebay or Craigs list.. bam , it's gone or I'm always outbid. And I know the provenance of this particular bass I'm interested in purchasing, so that gives me confidence.

But still, I am umming and ahhing about the whole procedure. Perhaps I should just bid madly next time one comes up on Ebay here in the US.

Paula
The lead guitarist in my dad's old band had a Custom Masquerader. Seriously nice guitars, those Shergolds. Does yours have the single coil/humbucker/out of phase switching on it, or was that a different model?

Anyway, those basses are nice too. I love the double necked ones Mike Rutherford used to use.

I kept looking for a Shergold at a good price before I left the UK to take with me but I couldn't find one. I might have to get me dad to keep a lookout for one and bring it over on his next trip. It'd make a nice alternative to the tone of my other guitars, and they look pretty cool too.

On a side note - I just found out my dad sold his Burns Double Six. Can't believe he did that
Old Apr 12th 2010, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
The lead guitarist in my dad's old band had a Custom Masquerader. Seriously nice guitars, those Shergolds. Does yours have the single coil/humbucker/out of phase switching on it, or was that a different model?

Anyway, those basses are nice too. I love the double necked ones Mike Rutherford used to use.

I kept looking for a Shergold at a good price before I left the UK to take with me but I couldn't find one. I might have to get me dad to keep a lookout for one and bring it over on his next trip. It'd make a nice alternative to the tone of my other guitars, and they look pretty cool too.

On a side note - I just found out my dad sold his Burns Double Six. Can't believe he did that
Oh dear, I hope he got a GREAT price for it!!! Can't be too many of those still around.

Yeah, I love my Shergold. Not as fast as my Strat or Tele, but the tone.. amazing. Not sure how the P/U's are wired up but I believe you are correct about the switching. After buying the guitar in Oz in 1982, I played it for a couple of years and then almost forgot about it. It was only recently I brought it back out, dusted it off, changed the strings for the first time since about 1988 and was amazed all over again. I am SO glad I never sold it or left it back in Oz.

I have a whole bunch of tunes I recorded using just that guitar (even used it for the bass line through my Digitech Effects Processor so I could say the tracks were "100% Created on my Shergold" You're welcome to take a look and listen at my home page. I also have a URL to a Shergold enthusiasts website I also frequent. PM me if you like and I can pass it on. Well worth a look if you're in the market for a great guitar.

(Photo show my Masquerader holding its own amongst the Fenders and violin bass.! (it's an Epiphone violin bass, not a Hofner unfortunately!)
Attached Thumbnails Importing guitar from the UK to the USA-img_6913-cropped.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.