Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Importing Dog to Texas

Importing Dog to Texas

Old Feb 18th 2008, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

wokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nice
Default Importing Dog to Texas

Hi there,

I have searched on various websites, including this one, but cannot find a definitive answer to my question.

Should I get my dog vaccinated against rabies when bring him from the UK to Houston, Texas?

I thought it was mandatory and I then read the below from the Centres for the disease, contol and prevention website

Importation of Dogs from Rabies-free Countries: Unvaccinated dogs may be imported without a requirement for proof of rabies vaccination if they have been located for a minimum of 6 months or more in countries that are free of rabies.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 11:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing Dog to Texas

Originally Posted by wokster
Hi there,

I have searched on various websites, including this one, but cannot find a definitive answer to my question.

Should I get my dog vaccinated against rabies when bring him from the UK to Houston, Texas?

I thought it was mandatory and I then read the below from the Centres for the disease, contol and prevention website

Importation of Dogs from Rabies-free Countries: Unvaccinated dogs may be imported without a requirement for proof of rabies vaccination if they have been located for a minimum of 6 months or more in countries that are free of rabies.

If you do not have him vaccinated, you will immediately have to do so over here - the law requires dogs be vaccinated. So my suggestion would be to just go ahead and get the vaccine.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

wokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nice

Thanks Traceym.

I spoke to my vet there and she asked if he required a blood test to be done, but I can't find if this is also required
Old Feb 18th 2008, 12:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Traceym.

I spoke to my vet there and she asked if he required a blood test to be done, but I can't find if this is also required
I think the blood test (titre) is just required to go the other way (US to UK).

My fiance's a vet in Scotland, and passed the American boards. I'll ask him (lol easier than me hunting around) and try to get you an answer in a couple hours.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Traceym, you are a star!!
Old Feb 18th 2008, 3:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

We had our dog vaccinated and chipped before bringing her over here. There was no blood test that needed to be done.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 3:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Here are the Texas requirements:

http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/idcu/hea.../import/entry/

As I thought, I do not see any requirement for a titre (blood test).

Microchipping is a good idea too by the way.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Traceym and Amerlisa
Old Feb 19th 2008, 10:54 am
Jay

jay123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I flew my dog from UK to USA two years ago, its pretty simple, get up to date on vaccinations in UK and I would get rabies because you have to get them done when here so saves time. Its not required for them to enter because you are coming from a country that does not have rabies. The dog has to have a check over within a few days before flying and the vet has to issue a certificate that the dog is healthy before it fly's. If you need anymore info just email me will be glad to help.
Hi there,

Old Feb 19th 2008, 12:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jay123
Hi, I flew my dog from UK to USA two years ago, its pretty simple, get up to date on vaccinations in UK and I would get rabies because you have to get them done when here so saves time. Its not required for them to enter because you are coming from a country that does not have rabies. The dog has to have a check over within a few days before flying and the vet has to issue a certificate that the dog is healthy before it fly's. If you need anymore info just email me will be glad to help.
The thing is - each state can have different regulations here. So just because that was the regulation for you, does not mean someone entering a different state might not have to do something different. The Department of Health for each states should have their regulations.

Texas DOES require the rabies vaccine before import. Also, there are only certain types of rabies vaccine approved - if the dog does not have one of the approved ones, he/she will have to have another.

Most airlines apparently require a health certificate from the overseas vet.