Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Importing a car into the states from UK

Importing a car into the states from UK

Old May 17th 2009, 11:41 am
Just Joined

loftedfalcon will become famous soon enoughloftedfalcon will become famous soon enough
Default Importing a car into the states from UK

Hiya,

I guess that the title of this post says it all.

Can this be done? Has anyone actually tried it and what is the procedure if so?
Old May 17th 2009, 11:50 am
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Importing a car into the states from UK

Before we go any further, what kind of car is it, year etc.
Old May 17th 2009, 11:56 am
Just Joined

loftedfalcon will become famous soon enoughloftedfalcon will become famous soon enough

Hiya,

Its a Subaru Imprezza WRX and it's an 03 plate (6 years old)

The reason I was thinking of thinking of importing it is that I won't be able to buy one of my own as I don't even have a visa to go yet and my fiancée and I won't have enough money for a while for her to get one for me to drive in her name.

Is it even viable in your opinion and if not, why not?
Old May 17th 2009, 12:13 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

So you're sending it ahead for your fiance to use!

Well firstly people do do it, but it's more common for the older cars, the newer the car the less likely it is to do it.

There are many things to take into consideration and when you add up all the costs, you may find it easier to sell the car and use the money to get a new car.

This website may be of assistance

CLICK IT
Old May 17th 2009, 12:20 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that although the reason is different.

My Fiancée already has a car and I intend to go over in November and use my car over there. We can't afford a decent second car and my car isn't worth very much so I doubt the sale would cover the cost of a new one over there in Kansas.

Change your mind?
Old May 17th 2009, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

Importing will cost several thousand. It's not worth it except for cars that are extremely valuable, or those that are impossible to buy in the US. Forget it.
Old May 17th 2009, 12:53 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

There are two major issues, the duties/fees involved and the safety/emissions requirements. It's actually quite difficult to bring a car into the US unless it is > 25 years old (ask all the folks trying to import Rovers & London taxis). (Note: the emissions requirements may vary depending on the state you live in)

http://foreignborn.com/visas_imm/ent...ingyourcar.htm
Old May 17th 2009, 3:28 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going with HenryH. Bad idea! Sell your Subaru and buy again here.
Old May 17th 2009, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

Just looked at craigslist.com and there are recent models for $15k and older ones for less the $10k.
Which makes it look less and less economic. Plus yours is presumaby RHD.
Not sure what issues servicing/repair will present either?
Old May 17th 2009, 4:19 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

You will get tied up in red tape and type approval ..forget it ...
Old May 17th 2009, 5:03 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mayhemuk
Just looked at craigslist.com and there are recent models for $15k and older ones for less the $10k.
Cheaper than that, if he's less fussy. We bought an '04 Grand Am for under $5K the other week and that was from a dealer. Looking on autotrader UK, the cheapest car like the OP's is going for £4500, so he could sell it in the UK, buy a car over here and have a good chunk of cash left in his pocket.

Compared to that, shipping it would be lunacy.
Old May 17th 2009, 9:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Simply put...naaa...it's not a goer, not for a banged out Suburu....if you want to recoup some money on it, part it up and sell it as a parts car.
Old May 18th 2009, 8:09 am
Just Joined

Thanks guys.

I've signed that one off as a terrible idea!
Old May 18th 2009, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Shipping a car over under these circumstances would be lunacy - forget it.

The shipping charges and fees etc alone would be enough to buy something to get your fiance by!

OP, just do what makes sense - sell it and send her the money!

Originally Posted by chartreuse
We bought an '04 Grand Am for under $5K the other week and that was from a dealer.
Nice. My 2005 Grand Am was $7k 6 months ago.
Old May 19th 2009, 5:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loftedfalcon
Hiya,

I guess that the title of this post says it all.

Can this be done? Has anyone actually tried it and what is the procedure if so?
Only 4 days ago, I saw a mini cooper, right hand drive on the road. So, it is possible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.