Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Import duty and fees on chocolate from the UK shipped by DHL

Import duty and fees on chocolate from the UK shipped by DHL

Old Oct 15th 2021, 6:49 pm
Living the NYC dream

kateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Import duty and fees on chocolate from the UK shipped by DHL

Originally Posted by Ravenscroft
Ah yes. It has been. Maybe it appeared as a link which might be why it was cut out. Anyway, it's a place with the name British in it that operates from a shop on a corner.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Can you give me an idea of what you paid in customs or additional DHL fees? I'm just looking to check that it won't be exorbitant. We're placing a $500 order, but if we get hit with say $150 in fees/duty that makes it much less attractive.
Hi - yes it was that one! I just paid the price of the items and the DHL shipping option, which was 20UKP. I didn't have to pay any customs fees. My assumption is that the duty costs are factored into the pricing. I would a) check out the reviews on the Trustpilot website; b) contact them and ask them directly.
Old Oct 19th 2021, 1:10 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kateinbrooklyn
Hi - yes it was that one! I just paid the price of the items and the DHL shipping option, which was 20UKP. I didn't have to pay any customs fees. My assumption is that the duty costs are factored into the pricing. I would a) check out the reviews on the Trustpilot website; b) contact them and ask them directly.

Duty is owed by the purchaser (importer) and is paid in the country of arrival, so if that shop is located in the UK then the responsibility for paying duty is yours. If they already imported the goods into the US, and paid duty on them at that point as a business, then you will not pay duty - but you will pay sales tax to the shop. I'm not sure what other posters here mean by the higher shop prices covering the duty. They wouldn't even know whether or not duty was assessed until the item arrives at the port of entry. I could be wrong of course. I often am.

It's been a while since I managed US import taxes. I suspect that low-value packages for personal use are waived through quite often. I have received various items from the UK and Europe and have been charged no duty. Nothing more than $50ish. I think if the item is being delivered by the post office, then duty is usually payable either to the mail carrier, or you will get a notice to go to the post office to pick it up and pay duty then. I also think that for personal use items that are not in some exotic category, there is a value below which you will not pay duty. If you are bringing it in with you, on a trip, then I think it's currently $800. It may be different for online purchases. If the customs officer decides that a "formal entry" is needed, then you will definitely be paying duty, but I have never had that happen on low value personal purchases.

Please check everything I say and take it with many grains of salt. I could well be wrong. As I say, I haven't done this for a long time. I used to ship truckloads of arts and crafts type stuff across the Mexican border into the US - that was a trip, in every sense of the word.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Oct 19th 2021 at 1:15 am.
Old Oct 19th 2021, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

Uktous19 is an unknown quantity at this point

There’s an Irish shop in Long Grove, IL: Paddy’s on the Square, does a roaring trade with all the local British & Irish
Old Oct 19th 2021, 5:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

I've been ordering foo items from Brit stores for several years and have never paid customs/taxes over and above what my order stated at time of ordering.
Old Oct 19th 2021, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

Ravenscroft is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers everyone for the great thoughts and sharing your experiences. I went ahead and put in an order with the store and will see how this goes. It's worth it for some of the long-missed goodies they have in stock!
Old Oct 20th 2021, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

Just received our latest order, no extra charges. We usually spend about $150 each time on items.
Old Oct 25th 2021, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

Just to close out this thread my order (placed 10/19) arrived today. No additional charges or import fees. I thought it was going to need a signature but DHL just dropped it at the front door. All nicely packaged. For the record we bought $750 of stuff - chocolate, Walkers cheese and onion, tea, biscuits, Mr Kipling mince pies, lemon curd, Bisto, etc.

Thanks to you all for your advice and sharing your experiences. Now I'm off to make a cup of Typhoo.
Old Oct 25th 2021, 7:01 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Just to close out this thread my order (placed 10/19) arrived today. No additional charges or import fees. I thought it was going to need a signature but DHL just dropped it at the front door. All nicely packaged. For the record we bought $750 of stuff - chocolate, Walkers cheese and onion, tea, biscuits, Mr Kipling mince pies, lemon curd, Bisto, etc.

Thanks to you all for your advice and sharing your experiences. Now I'm off to make a cup of Typhoo.
Dinner at your place then? What time should we arrive ?
Old Oct 25th 2021, 8:07 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq

I can bring my own cutlery, if that's an issue at all....

Old Oct 26th 2021, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

I didn’t see it mentioned in the thread, but for future orders anything under $800 is fine. Once you get over $800 then they can start imposing extra taxes.
Old Oct 31st 2021, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lizzyq
I'll put the kettle on.
Old Nov 6th 2021, 2:02 am
BE Enthusiast

angelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond repute

My family often sends us chocolate from Scotland. My sister lives next to an incredible chocolate shop, the Oban chocolate company. They seem to have no issue sending us chocolate which arrives in one piece. The biggest problem we have in LA is in the summer the chocolate will often melt in our mailbox. Never had any issues with customs or import duties and fees. That said, I think they just use Royal Mail. Probably a bit too "fancy" for your needs but if you fancy some great chocolate, worth a try. They are actually cheaper than buying high end chocolate here, even with shipping I found. https://obanchocolate.co.uk/
Old Nov 8th 2021, 1:59 am
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

That import allowance is much better than the other way around. Send a handmade Christmas stocking as a gift which I valued at £10 and they wanted to charge over £45 for the recipient to accept it. They had changed the value to £95 which is way over the the gift limit of £39. They wouldn't accept the recipient's statement it was a handmade gift that cost less £10🤬 Ironically, if I had said, it was ordered, there would have been no import VAT as you allowed to import items up to £135. That is still really low compared to the States. Now I need to get myself some chocolate!