British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Import Duty? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/import-duty-930071/)

brit_usa2014 Dec 30th 2019 11:41 pm

Import Duty?

Bought £110 (approx $145) worth of stuff from Debenhams UK before realizing I might have to pay import duty. They offer free shipping over £50 and it saves me time and having to watch my luggage weight when I go back home. Does anyone have an idea if I might incur import duty? Or if at all? It was just some clothes and a duvet set if that is of any importance.

Guindalf Dec 31st 2019 4:35 am

Re: Import Duty?

Assuming you're a PR who's visiting the UK on vacation, there should be no duty. You're allowed up to $800 in duty free purchases before any taxes or duty are due. Plus if you paid VAT on what you bought, you can't be double-taxed anyway!

brit_usa2014 Dec 31st 2019 11:41 am

Yes I’m a PR living here. I was asking about things bought online and having the store being shipped directly to USA. I did read an article stating that goods bought in the UK is exempt from duty upto $800 like you mentioned but does that hold same for online goods which are sent directly?

Guindalf Jan 1st 2020 2:40 pm

I've ordered from Amazon UK for delivery in the US in the past and never been charged duty or taxes. YMMV.

Pulaski Jan 6th 2020 2:50 am

For an on-line purchase in the UK shipped directly to your US address, you might get assessed for import duty irrespective of your visa status in the UK. Duty will vary depending on the type of product purchased e.g. clothing may have different duty from crockery, and also potentially based on where it was manufactured (assuming that information is disclosed on the shipping documentation) e.g. goods manufactured in China may attract higher duty than the same type of goods manufactured in Mexico (goods manufactured in Mexico or Canada may have zero duty due to NAFTA).

I would expect to pay duty of around 10%, so not a huge deal, but it could be more - I suspect that around 30% would be the upper limit, though occasionally punitive duties are applied in a trade war situation. It is also possible that your shipment could slip under the radar and no duty is assessed, depending on exactly how the parcel is shipped and what disclosures are made.

scrubbedexpat091 Jan 6th 2020 2:59 am

$145 worth of merchandise is unlikely to incur any taxes/duty, the de minimis exemption is currently $800.

Pulaski Jan 6th 2020 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12785759)
$145 worth of merchandise is unlikely to incur any taxes/duty, the de minimis exemption is currently $800.

The $800 exemption is for goods that you are carrying with you when you enter the US, whereas Brit_usa2014 is asking about an on-line order of goods to be shipped directly to him in the US.

vindico Jan 8th 2020 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12785917)
The $800 exemption is for goods that you are carrying with you when you enter the US, whereas Brit_usa2014 is asking about an on-line order of goods to be shipped directly to him in the US.

The $800 is for a personal import, whether shipped directly from overseas or carried with you when travelling.

Pulaski Jan 8th 2020 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by vindico (Post 12787328)
The $800 is for a personal import, whether shipped directly from overseas or carried with you when travelling.

No.

From the CBP.gov web site:

"Mailing and Shipping Goods - Customs Duty Guidance

Unaccompanied purchases are goods you bought on a trip that are being mailed or shipped to you in the United States. In other words, you are not carrying the goods with you when you return. If your unaccompanied purchases are from an insular possession (IP) or a Caribbean Basin Initiative (CBI) country and are being imported within 30 days and sent directly from those locations to the United States, you may enter them as follows:
  • Up to $1,600 in goods will be duty-free under your personal exemption if the merchandise is from an IP.
  • Up to $800 in goods will be duty-free if it is from a CBI or Andean country. "
The UK doesn't fall under this exemption anyway, but to take advantage of the above exemption for "unaccompanied tourist purchases" from CBI and IP countries, the above-linked CBP.gov web site page has a six step process for complying with the requirements - including having the vendor hold the purchase pending the vendor being supplied with the required CBP 255 form, which then becomes quite a paper chase, with multiple copies of a multi-part form being passed around, so I suspect that relatively few people take advantage of this exemption anyway.

vindico Jan 9th 2020 1:03 am

Not correct. A Section 321 clearance applies to shipments too (I.e. not carried on the person). https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/fi...ue%20Paper.pdf

Pulaski Jan 9th 2020 2:56 am

Originally Posted by vindico (Post 12787380)
Not correct. A Section 321 clearance applies to shipments too (I.e. not carried on the person). ...

OK, thx. I hadn't realized it change in 2016. Perhaps that is why the business of British retailers selling direct into the US has apparently exploded in the past three years. :unsure:

brit_usa2014 Jan 11th 2020 1:30 pm

Happy to report back that the parcel got delivered and had no duty to pay 💪🏻.Total weight was 6.5lbs so as long as I have a minimum of £50 worth of stuff to buy to avail free shipping I can have it shipped directly to me and thereby saving space in my suitcase for when I go home next time for the more important stuff (eg., food😛)