Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Implications of pledging allegiance to the US Flag prior to citizenship?

Implications of pledging allegiance to the US Flag prior to citizenship?

Old Jul 4th 2009, 12:35 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Implications of pledging allegiance to the US Flag prior to citizenship?

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
I guess it seems appropriate to me for an oath ceremony to pledge ones allegiance. As for the "Under God" part, if you don't agree it's easy enough to skip that part.
In a citizenship ceremony, yes, but for everything else? school, city office meetings etc.

And in a seperation of religion from state, one shouldn't have to go through another hoop to say the pledge, it should already have been taken out, it's not like it was originally a part of the pledge.
Old Jul 4th 2009, 1:07 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Implications of pledging allegiance to the US Flag prior to citizenship?

I dunno about how the OP feels about this but until I was a naturalized American, I did not pledge allegiance to the flag. When the American national anthem was played and I was present, I did stand up but did not put my hand on my heart nor face towards the flag. This was simply as a matter of respect.

I went the whole hog as described above after I was naturalized. I feel it would be inappropriate for me to pledge allegiance to the Stars and Stripes before I was an American citizen, even if my N-400 application were in progress.

That's just how I feel on the matter.
Old Jul 4th 2009, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crg14624
Just cross your fingers during the pledge.... then it doesn't count.
Originally Posted by Rete
I just love these interpretations and these idiotic excuses ... can't say it because I don't believe in god.

Gotta love you guys...you are all so very funny.
These are exactly the kinds of attitude that really irritate me.

(Although I realize that crg14624 wasn't being completely serious there are many people who probably really do think that way ...)

If you don't think that the words really mean anything or you don't believe that they are significant and important why say the damn thing in the first place?

It is precisely because I do take such things seriously that I choose not to participate in reciting something that I feel is meaningless.
Old Jul 4th 2009, 2:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Saying the pledge is not saying you are a US citizen. Just if I were to sing O' Canada, I would not be proclaiming myself a Canadian citizen.

You will be saying the pledge at your oath ceremony. If you don't feel comfortable saying it before your citizenship, then briefly explain the situ to the members and ask someone else to lead the pledge. Or briefly say before the pledge: I'm not yet a USC, although I have petitioned for naturalization. It is my honor to lead you in the pledge.

It is your call.
That's a really classy suggestion Rete. I like it.
Old Jul 4th 2009, 5:24 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

But if the pledge said I pledge alliance to the flag for which it stands and for the financial and social benefits it gives me including the right to be a non-believer in a higher power, with liberty and justice for all, I bet you would have shouted it out.

The new and improved version goes:

"I pledge allegiance to my Flag, and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with equality, liberty and justice for all."

Much better, I think.
Old Jul 4th 2009, 9:21 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

I just love these interpretations and these idiotic excuses ... can't say it because I don't believe in god.
Well, either it's an important promise (in which case people who don't mean it shouldn't say it) or it's not an important promise (in which case why bother?)!
Old Jul 4th 2009, 2:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
The new and improved version goes:

"I pledge allegiance to my Flag, and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with equality, liberty and justice for all."

Much better, I think.
what was wrong with "of the United States of America"
Old Jul 4th 2009, 2:46 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
what was wrong with "of the United States of America"
My flag is much more contemporary: my documents, my little pony, etc. Also encapsulates the individualism that is part of our make-up.
Old Jul 4th 2009, 9:28 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

"One of these things is not like the others,
One of these things just doesn't belong,
Can you tell which thing is not like the others
By the time I finish my song?"
Attached Thumbnails Implications of pledging allegiance to the US Flag prior to citizenship?-us-kids-oath.jpg   Implications of pledging allegiance to the US Flag prior to citizenship?-us-vet-salute.jpg   Implications of pledging allegiance to the US Flag prior to citizenship?-ger-oath.jpg   Implications of pledging allegiance to the US Flag prior to citizenship?-us-kids-oath2.jpg  
Old Jul 5th 2009, 12:47 am

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I dunno about how the OP feels about this but until I was a naturalized American, I did not pledge allegiance to the flag. When the American national anthem was played and I was present, I did stand up but did not put my hand on my heart nor face towards the flag. This was simply as a matter of respect.

I went the whole hog as described above after I was naturalized. I feel it would be inappropriate for me to pledge allegiance to the Stars and Stripes before I was an American citizen, even if my N-400 application were in progress.

That's just how I feel on the matter.
My question was specifically relating to the legalities of the act. I think in filing my N-400, on one level, I sort-of pledged my allegiance.
I had not realized the correct protocol for non citizens was to simply stand, and not hold your hand over your heart. I've been holding my hand over my heart and remaining silent all this time.
I don't want to be disrespectful to my host country, so perhaps I should ask the other committee members how they feel. Maybe it would be simpler to ask the chairperson pro tem to lead the allegiance until Uncle Sam says "yes".
Old Jul 5th 2009, 2:34 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thinbrit
My question was specifically relating to the legalities of the act. I think in filing my N-400, on one level, I sort-of pledged my allegiance.
I had not realized the correct protocol for non citizens was to simply stand, and not hold your hand over your heart. I've been holding my hand over my heart and remaining silent all this time.
I don't want to be disrespectful to my host country, so perhaps I should ask the other committee members how they feel. Maybe it would be simpler to ask the chairperson pro tem to lead the allegiance until Uncle Sam says "yes".
Do you really want to be know as "that guy"? Just suck it up and say the damn thing.

I sang O'Canada at a hockey game once, and I didn't all of a sudden start mispronouncing words like "about" and ending all of my sentences with "Eh". It won't kill you.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 3:02 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crg14624
.... It won't kill you.
but if we don't hear from her, we'll know who to blame
Old Jul 5th 2009, 10:25 am

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

I had not realized the correct protocol for non citizens...
There's no protocol except not to act like a jackass, which is a pretty good guide for life generally. I don't care for the singing, standing and mawkish hand over heart business, but others do, so when they go in for it, I stand out of respect for their feelings. Failing that, you can take the Borat approach and sing your own national anthem to the tune of their national anthem...

I would not, however, stand if there was ever an attempt to play the British national anthem at public events (like they used to do at films up the - 1950s, was it?).
Old Jul 6th 2009, 4:06 am
member of little note

made of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond repute

I think thats exactly what you should do, the fact they have voted you in, means they respect you, and clearly you respect them.
I haven't had that moment yet had the pledge allegience thing, but when I do I will stand and respect it, just as I did in the UK for "God save our Queen" (funny how a lot of people forget our song is just full of God!) I don't believe in monachy, but I still respect my home countries traditions and if I ever become an American citizen, I will say those words and mean them, but it wouldn't make me any less English, that how it is, today we meet people in their 70's whos parents where Scotish, and how proud where they of this ancestry, very! becoming American is not about losing your heritage, its about embracing another!
Old Jul 6th 2009, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by made of kent
I will stand and respect it, just as I did in the UK for "God save our Queen" (funny how a lot of people forget our song is just full of God!) I don't believe in monachy, but I still respect my home countries traditions
1) I don't think anyone has forgotten the word "God" in the English national anthem, but there's no First Amendment to separate the Church and State in the UK.

2) If you don't support the monarchy, why would you sing that you do?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.