British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Impatient and emotional! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/impatient-emotional-763884/)

JessicaKate Jul 4th 2012 12:59 pm

Impatient and emotional!

Ok, so this thread may not go down well with all the stiff upper lips... but I need to vent.

I'm the USC who's waiting for husband's DCF I-130 in London. Our official filing date is 24 April. And we're still waiting... and waiting... and waiting...

I am getting seriously impatient and really depressed and emtional. I just want to go home already!

My life feels like its on a bit of a stand still at the moment and I really just want to get on with it. It's really frustrating!

Does anyone else feel like this?

lisa67 Jul 4th 2012 1:16 pm

Re: Impatient and emotional!

It must be hard for you but some people have longer waits if that put it into perspective.
I got very emotional and impatient waiting the 6 years it took for my green card to come through.

JessicaKate Jul 4th 2012 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by lisa67 (Post 10154331)
It must be hard for you but some people have longer waits if that put it into perspective.
I got very emotional and impatient waiting the 6 years it took for my green card to come through.

6 years? bloody hell! If I may ask, why so long?

I think it's just the fact that I feel that I wasting days...

lisa67 Jul 4th 2012 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by JessicaKate (Post 10154345)
6 years? bloody hell! If I may ask, why so long?

EB3 category....just the way things go.
It sucks when you have to wait aoveract to move on with life, but it's best to just breath and realize that these sort of things are out of your control.
Make the most of the time wherever you are, you never know what might be around the corner!

WEBlue Jul 4th 2012 1:42 pm

I think you'll hear a lot of the same complaints over on the 'Moving Back to the UK' board here. . . UKCs who are so eager to go "back" home to the UK with their American spouses, but have to wait for the UK spouse visa to be approved & processed, which can take a while. And now with the rules changes in the UK spousal visa, lots of UKCs are worried they won't meet the financial threshold . . . :(

JessicaKate Jul 4th 2012 1:45 pm

Oh trust me, this business about the maintenance requirement is ridiculous and sickening. There's lots of us USC's here in the UK that are petitioning about it.

Noorah101 Jul 4th 2012 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by JessicaKate (Post 10154301)
Ok, so this thread may not go down well with all the stiff upper lips... but I need to vent.

I'm the USC who's waiting for husband's DCF I-130 in London. Our official filing date is 24 April. And we're still waiting... and waiting... and waiting...

I am getting seriously impatient and really depressed and emtional. I just want to go home already!

My life feels like its on a bit of a stand still at the moment and I really just want to get on with it. It's really frustrating!

Did you file in April 2012? If so, that's only been a little over two months ago! The Immigrant Visa process through London can take about 6 to 8 months. I think knowing how long it can take ahead of time helps you prepare mentally for a longer wait. You still have quite a ways to go.

That said, if you are the USC, you are free to leave the UK anytime now and get started on the new life you will share in the USA. That way you won't feel like you're wasting time doing nothing in the UK.

Rene

JessicaKate Jul 4th 2012 2:20 pm

I know there is quite a bit of time to go...

I am considering going back early but I also feel it would be unfair to my husband to leave early while we need to sell the house and all of our stuff... I want to get on with it, but I also don't want to put all of this pressure on my husband.

Ugh.

Egon Jul 4th 2012 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by JessicaKate (Post 10154378)
Oh trust me, this business about the maintenance requirement is ridiculous and sickening. There's lots of us USC's here in the UK that are petitioning about it.

Out of interest do you know of any active petitions? The only one I saw was made months before the new rules were announced and had only got a few signatures. I'll gladly sign and help with any initiatives to get the new rules changed.

JessicaKate Jul 4th 2012 3:00 pm

Sorry shouldn't have used petition- letter writing to MP's....

http://www.migrantsrights.org.uk/fil...une_2012_0.pdf

JSL8610 Jul 4th 2012 3:00 pm

http://www.keepcalmstudio.com/_galle...s_92f7e274.png

JessicaKate Jul 4th 2012 3:03 pm

LOL, thanks. :)

ian-mstm Jul 4th 2012 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by JessicaKate (Post 10154428)
Ok, so this thread may not go down well...

I want to get on with it, but I also don't want to put all of this pressure on my husband.

Well, this comment "may not go down well"... but you can't have it both ways.

Ian

Orangepants Jul 4th 2012 4:39 pm

Yes I know exactly how you feel. When my visa application and hence job fell through I had to wait 4 years to join my then boyfriend/now husband. At least you are together!
Just get up each day and know that it is getting closer but you still have to live each day. :)

Bob Jul 4th 2012 7:34 pm

You're the US citizen. You can move when ever you like.

DCF takes 8-10 months generally, so not all that bad. As frustrating as that might be.

traceym Jul 5th 2012 4:19 am

So you are currently (wherever) living with your hisband? You filed in April and you're fed up of waiting. Do you know how long a lot of people on here spent apart from their fiancee's / spouses before they had the 'luxury' of living together? :ohmy:

JessicaKate Jul 5th 2012 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by traceym (Post 10155422)
So you are currently (wherever) living with your hisband? You filed in April and you're fed up of waiting. Do you know how long a lot of people on here spent apart from their fiancee's / spouses before they had the 'luxury' of living together? :ohmy:

I have lived without my husband... for months in the past. In fact about a week after we got married I had to go back to the US for 2 months for business. So I do know how hard it is to go through the distance. And that's why I really don't want to move out before him even though I want to get this show on the road.

Just for clarification, I live in the UK now. Have done for about 2 1/2 years.

civilservant Jul 5th 2012 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by JessicaKate (Post 10156459)
I have lived without my husband... for months in the past. In fact about a week after we got married I had to go back to the US for 2 months for business. So I do know how hard it is to go through the distance. And that's why I really don't want to move out before him even though I want to get this show on the road.

2 Months? Yawn. Try a year (and thats just the next trip, not the move)

Noorah101 Jul 5th 2012 4:19 pm

My fiance and I were apart for 14 months while going through the K-1 process to bring him here. Granted, we were not yet married and had never lived together, so maybe that made it easier.

Now that he's been in the USA for 8 years, we still "live apart" most of the time, as our home is in Phoenix but he spends 3 or 4 weeks at a time in Los Angeles working onsite for his clients. We spend one long weekend a month together, plus a longer vacation away somewhere now and then.

It works for us!
Rene

SpoogleDrummer Jul 5th 2012 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by JessicaKate (Post 10156459)

Might be a stupid question but have you considered getting your British Citizenship before you move back to the US?

Scouse Express Jul 5th 2012 6:50 pm

My application took 18 Months. We started the paperwork in November 1994 and I was authorised in March of 1996.

Jim.

Lion in Winter Jul 5th 2012 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by JessicaKate (Post 10154345)

Then don't waste them! You are (mostly) with the one you love in a country with endless quantities of things to do and learn and see. You do have to wait - but as waiters go, you aren't in that bad a situation.

Ozzidoc Jul 7th 2012 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 10156538)
2 Months? Yawn. Try a year (and thats just the next trip, not the move)

;)

optomisticgirl Jul 7th 2012 8:14 pm

Sooo your living with your husband and waiting? That's a piece of cake, try being 4,000 miles away from your husband and waiting for 9 months counting (will be 17-18 by the time he moves here).

scrubbedexpat097 Jul 7th 2012 10:09 pm

:lol::lol:I bet the OP was wishing she hadn't said anything now...

Waiting is hard whatever it is for, and frustrating, and we all need to vent sometimes;)

Just try and make the most of life right now, it will all happen eventually:fingerscrossed: